Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2019, 04:56 PM   #1

2019 Greyhawk entry door

Our entry door is very difficult to open and close. Anyone else having difficulties. I don't think it is aligned correctly. Suggestions?
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
Our entry door is very difficult to open and close. Anyone else having difficulties. I don't think it is aligned correctly. Suggestions?
Same issue with our 2018 Greyhawk 31DS door. I did not see any adjustment in the latch that would seem to help. Have to slam it shut most of the time, and a good hard shove to open it. ?????
2015 EZ-GO TXT Golf Cart
South Jersey
K9Nardu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:54 PM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Nardu View Post
Same issue with our 2018 Greyhawk 31DS door. I did not see any adjustment in the latch that would seem to help. Have to slam it shut most of the time, and a good hard shove to open it. ?????
I had the same problem when I brought my coach home. Couldn't find any adjustment for it. I ended up using a good grease on the strike plate and on the two bolts that locked into the strike plate notches. Plus I greased the dead bolt too. Definitely helped the situation.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:38 PM   #4

The strike plate is slightly adjustable. Loosen the two large philips head screws and then slowly close the door and watch how the two bolts line up. Open door and move the strike plate accordingly. I had the same issue you are describing and was able to adjust it enough to allow the door to open and close more easily. I also used WD40 to help the situation.
Various arsenal of 2 wheel death machines
Back the Blue
glamisbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:56 PM   #5

Yeah i had that issue as well. I dont remember exactly now but i think i took the striker plate off and adjusted that a bit and eventually disassembled the door side lock trying to adjust things.

Seems the chassis frame moves a bit different once the levelers are down. I was able to get it to shut ok with the levelers up, but the door frame dynamics change with the levelers.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamisbound View Post
The strike plate is slightly adjustable. Loosen the two large philips head screws and then slowly close the door and watch how the two bolts line up. Open door and move the strike plate accordingly. I had the same issue you are describing and was able to adjust it enough to allow the door to open and close more easily. I also used WD40 to help the situation.
I echo this one. Used it on our 2016 31DS and greatly improved the issue just aligning the strike plate bolts. I probably would not use WD40 as it generally is not a good lubricant for these situations, but a light grease doesn't hurt, although you have to keep it clean as it will attract dirt over time. Another option is a dry Teflon lube which doesn't attract dirt. I bought a lube for bike chains (Ace/Walmart/etc) and it has served me well in these situations. Keep in mind too that the HUGE flex in the bodies of our RV's will cause some of these issues, so you may have to readjust ever couple of years.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 03:02 PM   #7

I just use a little silicone spray about every month or so and keeps it smooth. Huge difference though between not lubed and lubed. When it dries up it can be difficult to open/close the door.
foglght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 04:27 PM   #8

I was just messing with my door today. One thing you want to do is make sure you have WD40 and spray the bolt lock mechanism (not sure of the technical term) And yes, you can also loosen the two large Phillips head screws as mentioned above. You can see how the two round bolts insert and adjust so it hits the middle of the two.

What I am trying to figure out is my door rattles and I cannot figure out how to make it stop. I adjusted the latch up and it worked, but also made the door harder to open. I guess I just have to live with the rattle.
brad104805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:12 PM   #9

Door latching issues

The door on my 31xl was so tight my wife couldn't open it or close it, I had to do it for her every time. I adjusted the striker plate to align with the two shoulder bolts (?) going into the latch assembly but see they don't come far enough out to clear the strike plate. When I close the door the interference is so great metal filings appear on the striker plate. I loosen up the shoulder bolts and the door closes with ease.
I took them all the way out and am wondering if I can put some type of lock tight on the thread and set them to the proper distance. Does anyone know what the two pins are called, I'm thinking of ordering 2 new ones because the heads are a little warn from opening and closing the door.
I also notice that the gap from top to bottom is about 1/2" different on the door? Is there anyway to adjust the door? I believe this would also help the opening and closing.
Jicama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:17 AM   #10

Our 2018 was tough as well, lubricated the latch and all is well works great
Berjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:55 AM   #11

Our 2019 29MVP had the same issue. The door needed to slammed to closed it and shoved hard to open it. Seemed worse when using the levelers. Tried adjusting the strike plate which did not help. Two minutes to "adjust" the strike plate with a dremel tool and it works perfectly now. No rattles, closes securely. I also use dry silicone lube on it.
wmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:21 AM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jicama View Post
I also notice that the gap from top to bottom is about 1/2" different on the door? Is there anyway to adjust the door? I believe this would also help the opening and closing.
I would be more concerned about that. a 1/2" is a pretty big difference. I would check the hinge screws and measure the door opening to try and figure out what's going on.

How about the gap on the top, is it equal on both sides? Does the door have a sag to it?
Old 08-11-2019, 02:53 PM   #13

Our 2019 Greyhawk 30X was hard to shut and when I adjusted the strike plate to align with the 2 pins it was a lot easier to close. My HUGE issue is once we get on the road and are driving for about 2 hours it starts to squeak like a dog toy to the point that I have to pull over and mess with it... I'm about ready to tear it off it has become so annoying. We took it to the dealer and they have no idea. My wife found a post that someone took electrical tape and ran that around the pins 4 times and that work. Again for about 2 or so hours and it was back. Anyone run into this issue and have any inputs....... Would love to hear them thanks
gwbillett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:57 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

When mine was squeaking, besides reslamming it, I sprayed all around the door gasket on both sides with silicon spray. Didn't hear the squeak after that.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:00 PM   #15

Lubricating the latch mechanism with lithium grease worked wonders. Closes and opens much more easily now. Problem solved, thanks for the tip !
2015 EZ-GO TXT Golf Cart
South Jersey
K9Nardu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 12:58 PM   #16

Our Greyhawk 30x had a sticky door latch when we picked it up. They tried to adjust with little improvement. We bought a keyless lock from rvlock.com, that made a huge improvement. On these locks, the pins are adjustable. That did the trick. It works perfect now. I highly recommend it.
gjkids is offline   Reply With Quote