Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-13-2021, 11:08 AM   #1

2021 jayco greyhawk 29mv

does converter charge house battery as well as chassis battery when plugged to shore power?
anf76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 11:12 AM   #2

I'd check the owner's manual to be sure. Seems like recent models do.
Grumpy recently posted this from an owner's manual:
#########
When the power cord is plugged into 120-volt shore power, or when the generator (if
so equipped) is operational, the inverter/charger functions as a battery charger and will
automatically charge the house batteries when required. A bi-directional charge relay
incorporated into the electrical system allows the inverter/charger to charge the chassis batteries once the house batteries are sufficiently charged.
The chassis alternator charging system supplies power to the house auxiliary batteries
when the engine is running and the chassis batteries are sufficiently charged
Old 02-13-2021, 11:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini4mw View Post
I'd check the owner's manual to be sure. Seems like recent models do.
Grumpy recently posted this from an owner's manual:
#########
When the power cord is plugged into 120-volt shore power, or when the generator (if
so equipped) is operational, the inverter/charger functions as a battery charger and will
automatically charge the house batteries when required. A bi-directional charge relay
incorporated into the electrical system allows the inverter/charger to charge the chassis batteries once the house batteries are sufficiently charged.
The chassis alternator charging system supplies power to the house auxiliary batteries
when the engine is running and the chassis batteries are sufficiently charged
That was for a GREYHAWK may not apply to the REDHAWK since it is a lower priced coach so definitely check your owner's manual. Other way to check would be use a voltmeter and see what voltage you have at both batteries (house and coach) when plugged into shore power.
Old 02-14-2021, 10:48 AM   #4

thanks. there are a lot of (if equipped) in the owners manual. i haven't time to check what i have and don't have because of cold weather.
Old 02-14-2021, 11:14 AM   #5

you should be good.

p86 of 2021 greyhawk manual
House Batteries
Your motorhome is equipped with Group 27 deep cycle batteries.
Unless a battery has been fully discharged, house auxiliary batteries are normally charged
in one of two ways:
 The chassis alternator charging system supplies power to the house auxiliary batteries when the engine is running and the chassis batteries are sufficiently charged.
 When the power cord is plugged into 120-volt shore power, or when the generator(if equipped) is operational, the inverter/charger functions as a battery charger and will automatically charge the house batteries when required.

p89
When the generator is operating, it powers the inverter/charger which in turn functions as a multi-stage battery charger to charge the house auxiliary and chassis batteries.

So something to test perhaps with multi-meter to be sure, but it would appear as long as the inverter/charger is on, which will work from generator or shore power ( unit plugged in), it should keep chassis battery up.
Old 02-14-2021, 12:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by anf76 View Post
does converter charge house battery as well as chassis battery when plugged to shore power?

Not on my 2016 31FK.

Like others have said - use a voltmeter to check. Jayco always reserves the right to make changes. The manual might be accurate, might not.
Old 02-14-2021, 12:32 PM   #7

I need to test mine as well. On another thread talking about the same thing:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post937396

and even though the manual says it does, people have checked with multi-meter and verified it does not charge chassis battery when gen or shore power is applied.
Old 02-14-2021, 07:38 PM   #8

2019 Greyhawk 30X does not charge the chassis battery when only shore power (30 amp) plugged in. Shore power will charge the coach battery. I carry a 10 amp car battery charger and a 50ft extension cord. Pop the Ford E450 hood and clip on the charger to the chassis battery when camping with shore power. Usually tops off the chassis battery in 3 to 7 hours.

A more elegant solution is to install a "Trik-L-Start" aftermarket trickle charger unit so the chassis battery is charged when shore power is available.
ljh684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:45 AM   #9

on page 90, it says (if equipped) battery isolator solenoid, below that, it says (if equipped) battery isolation manager. how do you know if you have that?
Old 02-16-2021, 11:48 AM   #10

Quote:
on page 90, it says (if equipped) battery isolator solenoid, below that, it says (if equipped) battery isolation manager. how do you know if you have that?

On the Solenoid:

Take this with an uneducated grain of salt. As I'm not an RV expert at all. I think, to be factual, there are two isolator solenoids. The first one if the one I'm having trouble with - the one in the engine bay. This one charges the house battery from the alternator.

But, since this thread is talking about charging the house while plugged into shore power, I think we're talking about the other isolator solenoid.

Mine's tucked into the back of the battery compartment.

As for the "Manager" - I don't know what that is.
Attached Thumbnails
isolatorrelay.png  
Old 02-16-2021, 03:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
On the Solenoid:

Take this with an uneducated grain of salt. As I'm not an RV expert at all. I think, to be factual, there are two isolator solenoids. The first one if the one I'm having trouble with - the one in the engine bay. This one charges the house battery from the alternator.

But, since this thread is talking about charging the house while plugged into shore power, I think we're talking about the other isolator solenoid.

Mine's tucked into the back of the battery compartment.

As for the "Manager" - I don't know what that is.
The solenoid in the engine compartment connects the chassis battery and the house battery together when the engine is running or the dash pushbutton is pressed. The solenoid in your picture is the disconnect solenoid which disconnects (some) of your house circuits from the house battery. It is controlled by the switch at the house door.
The BIM or "Manager", if you have one, takes the place of the solenoid under the hood. It allows 2-way charging of the battery banks, whichever battery is being charged can charge the other one...
As to whether the chassis battery is being charged when the house battery is being charged, or vice-versa, there is varying documentation. The best way to find out how YOUR unit works is to use a voltmeter and see what's happening..
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 12:35 PM   #12

Quote:
If you bought a high-end Seneca Class C, you have a BIM. If you bought a Greyhawk or Redhawk Class C, you likely don't have a BIM, just a dumb solenoid. Pop the hood, have someone press the button by the steering wheel which should activate the solenoid so you can find it via the loud clicking sound, then find the solenoid and take a picture of the part number with your phone. Google the part number. If you come up with a dumb solenoid for the part number rather than a "smart battery isolation manager", then you don't have a BIM.
ljh684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:10 PM   #13

Quote:
My 2020 Greyhawk 29 MV does not charge the chassis battery. Found this out the hard way but luckily the emergency start button came to the rescue.
Groveite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 05:33 PM   #14

I have my solar charge both my house and chassis battery. For what's it worth.
sullivanclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullivanclan View Post
I have my solar charge both my house and chassis battery. For what's it worth.
Did you do anything additional to make that happen?

I installed a Trick-l-start a while back (so my converter would charge the chassis battery when on shore power), and now that I'm looking at a solar install, I'm wondering if that will allow the solar to charge both batteries?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote