Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-11-2017, 06:08 PM   #1

As much as I dislike oil changes these days

In my youth, it was no big deal. Now, at my age, on a car - I'd rather not do it and will gladly pay someone else $30 to change the oil.

However, I have to admit that changing the oil on the E450 is a cake walk!
No jack stands - heck there's enough room down there for me to do the Macarena.

Slide under and the plug and filter are easily accessible.

I think I was in and out in 15 mins.
6 quarts of Mobil-1 5W-20.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:14 PM   #2

True very true
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:59 PM   #3

15 min. and you know its done right. Priceless.

2017 White Hawk 27DSRL
2006 F-150 5.4L Coil Overload
Dkarel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:43 AM   #4

I change the oil in my GH 31, and my Ford Sport Trac, enough room for me to slide under both of them to do the work. I have the oil change done on wife's Cmax hybrid as there is way too much stuff going on with it. Dealership guy told me they have to "rope off" the area when they work on a Cmax due to the "shock hazard" associated with the hybrids. Don't know if that is true or not, but I'm still too fat to slide under the Cmax anyways.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:48 AM   #5

The used oil disposal is what kills a self change idea for me.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsnapper View Post
I hear you - but they've opened up an auto parts store close by. All I do is walk in with the jugs and dump them into their bin.

I usually batch up a load. Yesterday I dumped about 4 oil changes worth (including the generator).

Messy? It can be if I'm not careful.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsnapper View Post
Oil disposal is easy. I just bring it to the local garage and dump it in their tank, no charge.

My everyday drive, I do not change it. you need three elbows to get to the oil filter, then you absolutely will spill oil on the exhaust pipe, as you pull it out.

My TV, it's easy to do, and my Model T is even easier, all I have to do is get down on one knee.

A friend has an oil changing pit in his garage, so sometimes I go over there and do the TV.

With coupons it is about the same cost and way easier just to bring them in.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:13 AM   #8
Site Team

I don't do the car but with my PSD, I have saved mucho bucks by purchasing the fuel filters at a local auto supply and doing it myself. My truck is on a concrete pad and I found a route laying on my creeper to get to it with my ample belly.

Now the oil is more than I want to tackle with 15 qts a pop every 5k miles. We have a county recycle place and 2 auto supply stores less than 4 miles that take it at no charge.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:33 AM   #9

If that was easy you should try one of these. You can change oil in a suit if you wanted. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
No more crawling on the ground or messy transferring used oil to transportable containers. My first oil change I pulled the plug just to see how much oil it didn't get and there was maybe an ounce that came out. With an E450 you might have to set the pump somewhere closer to get the tube all the way down the dipstick though.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:35 AM   #10

Since it is quite easy to change the oil in my 31DS, I also do it myself. I have been using K&N filters with the removal nut on the bottom, it makes it even easier to change. When I'm under there also I also give the zerks a shot of grease too. Every other month our county has a free hazardous waste collection center set up.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:36 AM   #11

Meh... I used to change my own oil. Did it for decades. The novelty wore off. My ford dealer will change the oil in my PSD for 79$. It's been a while since I priced out filters and oil but I don't think I can buy the supplies for much cheaper. I still throw the creeper down a couple times a year and get underneath to take a peek at everything. Nine years on this rig and no suprises.

With that said, my teen driver will learn to change the oil on her rig, as well as other basic maintenance and troubleshooting skills. I believe it is important to understand how and why things work. It also creates a sense of ownership and pride.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:18 AM   #12

I let freghtliner deal with my main engine and all its associated filters for the fuel and oil and transmission, etc. The onan is a piece of (messy) cake, so I do it myself. I'm about to make it a lot easier/cleaner with the addition of a fumoto drain valve, tonight!
Old 09-12-2017, 09:18 AM   #13

I agree, changing oil in the e450/v10 is very easy due to the accessibility of the plug and filter.
Otherwise, setting up an appointment and driving it to my local ford dealer, then sitting around until they get it done is a big waste of time for me.
I also don't trust their service department.
I am currently using conventional Mobil 1 5W30. I change it more than regularly, as that it sits sometimes for periods that I don't want dirty oil in it.
Using a semi synthetic or full synthetic wouldn't be cost effective.
Midwest Jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
My ford dealer will change the oil in my PSD for 79$.

That's not that much more than my bill. $61 for 6 quarts of Mobil-1 and a Motocraft filter.

Quote:
With that said, my teen driver will learn to change the oil on her rig, as well as other basic maintenance and troubleshooting skills. I believe it is important to understand how and why things work. It also creates a sense of ownership and pride.
Completely agree!!!
Old 09-13-2017, 11:48 AM   #15

I went into a oil change place once this summer being in some kind a hurry and they charged me $125.00 never again, you are right it's a cake walk!
Bucket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:04 PM   #16

My Chevy dealer gives free oil changes, tire rotations and batteries for as long as I own my 2017 Silverado as long as I take it there for factory scheduled maintenance which I was going to do anyways.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:44 PM   #17

I like changing my own oil also. I have been doing it all my life on all my vehicles. At 75 it's getting to be a bit of a challenge. No matter how careful I am, I usually get oil on everything. Stan
stans02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:02 PM   #18

Quote:

Good idea!! Also have her, not you, change a tire, actually put the spare on, then back again. Don't forget to have her check the tire pressure on the spare. Both my boy's went thru this and a lot more, thanked me later.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:05 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
I change the oil in my GH 31, and my Ford Sport Trac, enough room for me to slide under both of them to do the work. I have the oil change done on wife's Cmax hybrid as there is way too much stuff going on with it. Dealership guy told me they have to "rope off" the area when they work on a Cmax due to the "shock hazard" associated with the hybrids. Don't know if that is true or not, but I'm still too fat to slide under the Cmax anyways.
I am a certified hybrid repair technician. Ford does have a procedure like that for changing the battery but honestly it's complete overkill. No special requirements for basic maintenance. I don't blame you for not wanting to do it yourself, I don't like changing my own oil, but its not any different or more hazardous to change the oil in a hybrid/electric than any other car or truck. It is nearly impossible to expose yourself to high voltage on one of these cars without circumventing multiple fail safes and lockouts. You got a better chance of it falling of the hoist and crushing you than getting an electrical shock.

Speaking of hybrid technology, wouldn't it be cool if if our coaches had a 300+v battery that could be charged during braking and coasting from a hybrid drivetrain, then be able to use that electric reserve to either help accelerate the coach up big hills or just allow multiple hours/days of quiet boondocking power?
Spanks79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #20

Oil Change

Still do our 06 Ram 3500 3 gallons of Rotella never can I do that change with out out getting that oil on me some where somehow.We recycle at Walmart they say they take only 4 or 5 gallons at a time.I don't think they check!
Attached Thumbnails
X.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote