Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-10-2019, 12:26 PM   #1

Battery draining in my toad

Hello All. On my way to Quartzsite from Philly - In Birmingham now. I'm towing a chevy spark and I don't have a power cable connected from my Redhawk to the Chevy. The battery drains in about 3 hours (have to keep the key on Accessory), but the car starts easily with a battery jump start. I'll probably get the power cable when I get to AZ but in the meantime, is there any way to protect the battery - Battery disconnect, pulling fuses? Any help is greatly appreciated.
jdux999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:29 PM   #2

Disconnect the battery
Fr8Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:38 PM   #3

If you have a battery-powered brake controller installed in the towed another option will be needed.

See you when you get here!
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:46 PM   #4

Thanks for the quick replies. I have a Ready Brake system that's momentum based so I should be ok on that front. If I disconnect the battery, does that interfere with the key being in the Accessory position? WinnieView, are you at the RTR?
Old 01-10-2019, 01:13 PM   #5

If there is a fuse to pull your owners manual will tell you which one. We had to pull one in our Sonic when we towed it.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdux999 View Post
Thanks for the quick replies. I have a Ready Brake system that's momentum based so I should be ok on that front. If I disconnect the battery, does that interfere with the key being in the Accessory position? WinnieView, are you at the RTR?
We are not at RTR but we are home in AZ and everyone is headed our way.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:56 PM   #7

Thanks Grumpy. Nothing in my manual about pulling a fuse. I guess that means it's not an option.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:14 PM   #8

If you are headed west on I-10 and and have no business in the Phoenix area you might want to consider taking I-8 (when you get there) to SR85 and back to I-10.
The loop 202 construction near 51st Avenue on I-10 in west Phoenix is a big mess.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:20 PM   #9

Thanks WinnieView, will do. I'm avoiding I10 as much as I can (taking I20 instead). A few folks have recommended staying off I10 through MS and LA.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:56 PM   #10

Charging Line

Probably does not help you on this trip... but you have a 7-Pin connector, add a charging line. They put one on my Sonic when we bought the MH. The dealership did it for free in under 10 minutes.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:30 PM   #11

On my Chevy Traverse, with using ReadyBrake, I installed two switches in the console on the dash (out of sight) one 2 pole 20A switch for Onstar and battery, then a 50A single pole switch for the main power. This was instructed on my specific vehicle, may be something you need too. I was curious why two switches would be needed if 50A cuts main power, but realized Onstar power and the other circuit they have you shut off with the two pole switch, is isolated from the main battery and have thier own direct feeds from the harness. If you need more info, I'll be happy to get some pics and details for you. You DO have the option of simply pulling the 2 20a fuses, and 50 Fuse, but switches make it SO much quicker and easier!

There are ready made switch sets you can purchase or you can just find some yourself like I did, and save a ton of moula....
WannaGo is offline   Reply With Quote