Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-13-2019, 11:31 AM   #1

can I check my propane level?

We have made our 1st trip from Fl to NY in our 29' Redhawk. We ran the fridge on Propane for the 2 day trip. Which worked great! Thanks for the advice! We are going to a state park for 4 days and I wonder how much propane is still in the tank? Is there a way to check? Im sure we will have plenty for 4 days but Id hate to run out.

Thanks in advance!
unzinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:43 AM   #2

Propane use

Quote:
Originally Posted by unzinators View Post
We have made our 1st trip from Fl to NY in our 29' Redhawk. We ran the fridge on Propane for the 2 day trip. Which worked great! Thanks for the advice! We are going to a state park for 4 days and I wonder how much propane is still in the tank? Is there a way to check? Im sure we will have plenty for 4 days but Id hate to run out.

Thanks in advance!
Is there no gauge on your propane tank? We have one on our GreyHawk Tank. That, in itself is only a guide because it is not meant to be an accurate reading as to the gallon amount left in the tank. However, your refrigerator takes so very little of your propane while in use, it is almost insignificant. What does take propane, is your propane heat, your water heater, if it is the tank type, and your stove and oven, if used a lot. Other than that, you should not have any problem whatsoever, with your propane lasting much more than 4 days. I boondock for sometimes two weeks using amenities as needed, and still return home with plenty of propane before refilling for the next time. Our coach holds 13 or 15 gallons of propane, I assume yours will hold the same. If you don't have a gauge, then one can be added very easily and inexpensively. I hope this helps.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:21 PM   #3

I’ve heard you can pour water over the tanks and feel the heat difference where it tops off. Unfortunately I forgot if you need hot water or cold water cuz I haven’t needed to do it yet, but I’m guessing hot water?

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:24 PM   #4

There a few different ways to check propane. I have been using a fish scale, hand held with a hook on it. Very accurate and inexpensive. I don’t even unhook the hose, just unhook tie down system, hook on the scale, lift up about an inch and you can see how many pounds are left. I use only one tank at a time, when one is empty, I switch tanks and refill the empty one when convenient. I always check how many pounds are left a week before a trip. I don’t like surprises.

You can also pour hot water on tanks and propane will be cold, empty amount will be warmer.

Heat on can burn through a couple tanks in a few days. Other than that, everything else will last for weeks or months.

That being said, I agree with above, based on what you said, assuming your heat wasn’t turning on while you haven’t been using it, you should have plenty left.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:34 PM   #5

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Since this was your first trip, are you sure the propane tank was full when you started? If you have it filled before starting your 4 day trip, then you'll know!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:43 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

My Redhawk has a gauge right on the tank. Did you open the access door to the tank location and check on the left side of the tank. Here is where mine is:
Attached Thumbnails
gauge.jpg  
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
My Redhawk has a gauge right on the tank. Did you open the access door to the tank location and check on the left side of the tank. Here is where mine is:
Same as on our 2013 31XL.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:01 PM   #8

As others have noted, check your tank door as normally a fixed tank has a gauge as seen in the picture posted. If not, check with your dealer as perhaps there is some other indicator.

There is available via Amazon or most RV stores a adhesive indicator strip that can be mounted to the tank. Then you pour water over it and the strip will change color to show what level the propane is at (based on temp differential).

The fish scale method works great on a travel trailer with removable tank, but not so well on an RV with a fixed tank.

Lastly, and this is the easiest, on your way out of town, stop and top off the tank, then don't worry about it for the rest of the season. Plus you will know how much is really in the tank.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:57 PM   #9

This will work... if you have a gauge, or not.

Heat a quart of water... or get a quart of hot water from your RV if your water heater is working.

Pour the water slowly over the side of your propane tank so the water is about an inch wide over the tank. Pour the entire quart out - then feel the temperature difference on the outside of the tank where the hot water ran down the side.

The tank will be warm along the top, until you reach the level of your propane. The liquid propane will cool the metal tank back down rapidly, after the water stops... but above where the liquid is, the tank will be warm.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:03 AM   #10

Thanks for the pic!!!! I don't remember that during the demo but after 2 hours my head was reeling!
Old 05-14-2019, 06:07 AM   #11

SloPoke- Do u have trouble getting into gas stations? I had some tight fits into the pumps in my 29' Jayhawk. I want to get my SUV on a flat bed but am worried about getting gas. I don't use diesel so I guess I have to use the pumps at the front of the gas stations?
Old 05-14-2019, 08:50 AM   #12

Quote:
SloPoke- Do u have trouble getting into gas stations? I had some tight fits into the pumps in my 29' Jayhawk. I want to get my SUV on a flat bed but am worried about getting gas. I don't use diesel so I guess I have to use the pumps at the front of the gas stations?
We are diesel and we almost always fill up at the truck pumps where we have a high-flow nozzle on both sides of the Seneca.

Now for those times where we were in the back-country and had to fuel at a traditional pump -

Most diesel hoses are on the end pumps, and we pull up next to that pump and are able to fill only one tank. We then have to back up and pull on the other side of the pump and fill the second tank. The key here is backing up - much simpler with a toad on a trailer
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:06 AM   #13

I can usually see a sweat mark early in the mornings on mine.. I have two propane tanks on my off-road trailer so when one runs out switch to the other side… This will give you idea how much you are using and decide whether or not you will make it ok for the trip...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:55 PM   #14

Check the tank and see if you have a gauge on there. If you don't you can order a cheep one of Amazon that just snaps on. When we bought our Greyhawk I asked the guy if there was a propane gauge, he said yes. We looked and there wasn't. So he had to order one because it's supposed to come with one. He said we would have to empty all the propane out of it so that he could remove the plug and then install the gauge. Then they would fill it back up. After doing my own research I figured out that he had no idea what he was talking about.

I ordered the snap on one from Amazon and it works perfect. Then I took it off before we went up to the dealer a few weeks later and put on the one they ordered from Jayco. Which was identical.
Diesel_tke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 11:32 AM   #15

RetiredOne- THANK YOU! I have a gauge too!
Old 05-22-2019, 01:26 PM   #16

Propane

I was told recently by a rv repair guy never to use propane for fridge when driving down the road. He proceeded to show me fire pictures. Okay to turn it on when stopping for lunch or for the night, just not while moving.

Comments?
Dancingqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:47 PM   #17

Take a look at the mopeka tank check. Should work on motor home tank
newsleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:31 PM   #18

There is also a remote gauge and monitor you can purchase. You pop off the plastic face of your existing gauge, snap on the remote gauge monitor, run the wires inside your coach and attach them to a gauge. Don’t know how accurate it is but at least you won’t have to run outside and keep checking. I had this already installed on my first rig but I do not have it on my low- budget RedHawk!

I didn’t buy it yet for my RedHawk , but I have this upgrade on my list! There are other wireless monitors you can stick to the tank and use a smart phone to check the level, but I didn’t like the reviews.
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:47 PM   #19

Mine has a gauge, but I don't trust it. I agree with the ones who say "top it off" so you know it's full.

Your fridge uses hardly any propane. Even the WH isn't too bad most of the time; especially if you have enough electricity to not have to use the gas.

The furnace will eat your lunch though. Or your propane as it were...

IIRC, it was a year before we had to fill a tank on my TT. We owned that trailer over 4 years and only went through less than 3 tanks (it had twin 30lb tanks) Haven't had to do it yet on the Greyhawk, and it's been over a year. We rarely use the furnace, much of our driving is with the generator on to run the AC units (so everything runs on AC power), and I only turn the gas function for the WH on if I'm trying to conserve power, or while DW is in the shower so I can have a shower too (recovery is quicker on gas AND electric)!

If all you're really using is the fridge, you don't need to worry about it assuming it was full to begin with; you'll have plenty of gas.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:08 PM   #20

Propane Level Check Tool

I use a Truma Level Check tool that I got on Amazon. It pings the tank and shows a red or green light to indicate what the propane level is.
Attached Thumbnails
20190523_160151.jpg  
Pinnacle37rlws is offline   Reply With Quote