Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-21-2022, 04:08 PM   #1

Flat tow

I have never flat towed before. We have a 2019 Chevrolet traverse four-wheel-drive that we would like to flat tow behind our new Jayco 29MV. I have looked for suggestions and found so many varied solutions I’m not sure which one is viable. I want to do it right and not hurt the traverse or our new sea clash. I’d appreciate your input or direction and where I can find the solid answers. Thanks in advance for your help.
Tumbleweed353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 04:39 PM   #2

Special Procedures: Remove the shift-lever boot by pulling up on the rear of the trim plate. Use a small screwdriver or tool to press and
hold the manual release button on the rear right. Shift transmission to N (Neutral). Engine should be run at the beginning of each day and
at each RV fuel stop for about 5 minutes. This will ensure proper lubrication of transmission components. Once the destination is reached,
reinstall the shift-lever boot. Start the engine and let it idle for more than 3 minutes before driving.
Greetings, Harold
Hbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 04:44 PM   #3

Thank you Harold. Before I replace the boot on the shifter do I have to push the release again or does it automatically go back to function when I move the shift lever? At this point I’m assuming it’s not an accessory the ignition in the steering wheel is in the lock position? Probably not we want the steering wheel to be free to turn
Old 10-21-2022, 07:15 PM   #4

First things first, check your Traverse's owners manual for "towing behind an RV" or "dinghy towing". It'll tell you the exact steps and procedures that you need to follow in order to ready it for towing.

Next, find a quality shop that can setup your car for flat towing. You'll need a baseplate, an integration into the lighting system, and some sort of braking system (either hard-plumbed or a portable system). The parts and install aren't cheap, but it's worth it for a quality job.

If Arcadia is California, I'd be tempted to reach out to Redlands Truck & RV Center.
Old 10-21-2022, 07:21 PM   #5

It is Arcadia Florida. I appreciate all that input and I will do just that. I’ve had some great response from many people and I am grateful for all the guidance. Thanks to you as well for your assistance and guidance.
Old 10-21-2022, 07:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed353 View Post
It is Arcadia Florida. I appreciate all that input and I will do just that. I’ve had some great response from many people and I am grateful for all the guidance. Thanks to you as well for your assistance and guidance.
In Arcadia, FL, go up to Hitching Post in Ocala. It'll be a bit of a hike, but they're awesome up there.
Old 10-21-2022, 07:32 PM   #7

Made note of that for sure!
Old 10-22-2022, 05:55 PM   #8

Quote:
First things first, check your Traverse's owners manual for "towing behind an RV" or "dinghy towing".
+1 on this. My wife's Pathfinder can't be flat towed.
LukeDagny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 06:07 PM   #9

Says it can. Going to my dealership Monday to talk to them for set up on lights and brakes.
Thank you.
Old 10-24-2022, 01:13 PM   #10

We flat tow a 2018 GMC Acadia, front wheel drive. Except for being little heavy it tows great. When our Blue Ox system was installed the installer cut an approximately 3/8" slit in the rubber boot over the spot where I need to press down to put in neutral. Works like a dream, hardly noticeable, and have never had to remove the boot.
RetiredAndFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 01:41 PM   #11

I can’t thank you enough for the information. I’ve been already to the district manager for Chevrolet and they come back with simply put it in accessory in neutral and drive it or correction flat tow it. They didn’t tell anything about pushing the release button to put it in neutral they said put it in neutral while you’re in accessory or while it’s running and then turn it to accessory. I know that that’s going to have a drain on the battery by the radio and perhaps other things however we can have the electric hooked up to our c class to maintain the battery charge while we’re driving. We’re going to use our Taverse or purchase an equinox as it is lighter to tow. Again, thank you very much for the input.
Old 10-24-2022, 02:01 PM   #12

I'm not an expert on these things but our Acadia stays charged from the 7 pin connector. We start it, run about 5 minutes, shut off, use small screwdriver through the shift lever boot and put in neutral. When we get to our destination we remove the Patriot 3 brake, put back in park and run for 5 minutes while unhooking the tow bars, safety cable, breakaway and 7 pin cord. Piece of cake. Sometimes I read the Jeep owners brag about how easy theirs are and I really think mine might be easier.
RetiredAndFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 02:05 PM   #13

I’m probably just overthinking the whole thing. Or being new at flat towing being over cautious.
Old 10-29-2022, 12:33 PM   #14

etrailer.com

Quote:
I have never flat towed before. We have a 2019 Chevrolet traverse four-wheel-drive that we would like to flat tow behind our new Jayco 29MV. I have looked for suggestions and found so many varied solutions I’m not sure which one is viable. I want to do it right and not hurt the traverse or our new sea clash. I’d appreciate your input or direction and where I can find the solid answers. Thanks in advance for your help.
I have found etailer to be very helpful when I was looking to flat tow with our 29MV. They sell both most popular brands, (Roadmaster & Blue Ox). There are other brands as well. They have good customer service "Before" and after the sale. They were more than happy to answer all my questions. And No I don't work for them. just liked the way they do business.

Hope this is helpful
Ron, Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 12:56 PM   #15

It is helpful! I thank you for the advice. I found an Equinox to flat tow and will probably use Blue OX for Baseplate and tow bar.
Old 10-29-2022, 03:43 PM   #16

Page 358 of the owners manual gives the exact procedure for flat towing.

Nothing about pushing a pin. 3 fuses to pull to prevent battery drain.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 03:45 PM   #17

Thank you. I intend to have a electrical feed while towing going directly to the battery to keep it charged regardless of the radio draw. I’ve been told that would negate having to pull fuses
Old 10-29-2022, 03:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Thank you. I intend to have a electrical feed while towing going directly to the battery to keep it charged regardless of the radio draw. I’ve been told that would negate having to pull fuses
Make sure that you have the proper size wiring to charge the battery.
Old 10-29-2022, 03:51 PM   #19

Excellent advice. The dealer is going to install the hook up but I will make sure we have the warriors have the capacity to handle the electric
Old 10-29-2022, 04:30 PM   #20

You may or may not already have 12 volts at the 7 pin connector on your RV, depends on how Jayco wired everything.

If so, have them verify it's the correct size and can handle the current for charging.

Depending on what auxiliary braking system you are going to use, Brake Buddy, etc. those pumps use a lot of current.

When I had my Class A and was towing, I wired a separate 12 volt fused plug with a larger gauge wire for the Brake Buddy, rather than use the factory cigarette lighter plug.