Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-15-2019, 03:27 PM   #1

Grease Points/Annual Maintenance on Seneca

Hi Everyone,

I am sure someone here some sort of check list of all the grease points to hit on the Seneca (chassis and anything else). I have a 2015 FS. i looked through the manual, but didn't find anything useful, although it was a cursory glace..

Haven't got to use our Seneca much the last two years, but this year should be a banner year for use, and I want to make sure everything is up to par.

Plus I just got a new powered grease gun I am dying to put to good use..

I guess while I'm asking, what general maintenance does everyone do before the camping season gets underway? I've done the basics, checking levels on engine fluids, gen oil change, battery check/fill/cleaning. We do a lot of boondocking at race tracks, so we live on the Gen. But what else?

Thanks in advance
SuddenRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:03 PM   #2

I do my own servicing including greasing. But I can't remember exactly how many zerks I end up greasing, but it is quite a few. Kingpins, tie rod ends, and driveline. I suppose when I do mine in a month or so (if Winter ever stops!) I should be aware and document every fitting I do.

Newer Senecas with air brakes also have to also grease their brake slack adjusters, not something we have to worry about on our hydraulic brake units. Also be careful with a powered grease gun. You don't want to rupture any boots or blow out any seals!

Here is a chassis maintenance manual that might help with some questions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf business class m2 maintenance manual.pdf (2.71 MB, 70 views)
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:19 PM   #3

This is the exact doc I was hoping for.. always going to be good to have for reference.

I have the ability to turn down the pressure on the gun.. good thought.. I would have probably got carried away and blown everything out.

Hope winter breaks soon for you.. and if you doc all the grease zerks you hit, I would love to see the list.

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2019, 11:15 AM   #4

For us, we have to get a State Safety inspection AND an Emissions certification every year. We decided that it was easier to take it to our Freightliner Dealer and have them do the scheduled maintenance along with the inspections. We get all of our Filters replaced, wet service and the paperwork sent up to update the Warranty log.

This time, they sprayed the suspension and undercarriage with an anti-corrosion treatment too.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:52 PM   #5

What does the general maintenance and filter replacement run? If you don't mind me asking.

Luckily, MD doesn't require any of those inspections, but a full service from professionals on a regular basis makes sense to me.

Also, very interested in the anti-corrosion treatment.. what did that cost? Very humid here in MD, and while I store my Seneca inside, it's not insulated so things tend to sweat in the shop.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuddenRush View Post
What does the general maintenance and filter replacement run? If you don't mind me asking.

Luckily, MD doesn't require any of those inspections, but a full service from professionals on a regular basis makes sense to me.

Also, very interested in the anti-corrosion treatment.. what did that cost? Very humid here in MD, and while I store my Seneca inside, it's not insulated so things tend to sweat in the shop.
I figured it would help you - if I just shared the Service Invoice. I redacted the personal information (I felt like the DOJ blacking out all that information ) They really don't list all the stuff that they do in a "wet PM", but every single fluid was sampled in addition to topping it off (Yes, they spent almost 40 min just on the rear differential / suspension) They also have a Wet PM that is specifically for Motorhomes that is 'way more expensive' than the PM for the medium duty units... The service writer initially wrote it as a Motorhome, until he came out and got the mileage and said right away that he needs to fix that.... They really seem to like the Seneca and Dynamax chassis instead of the pushers.

They did not charge anything for spraying it down, at least it is not on my invoice... It was the very last thing they did, they did back the Seneca out of the service bay (so that it was not spraying over the open lube pit they work on the trucks at) and the sprayer was on a retractable reel near the door.

They worked on it for about 2.75 hours with two guys, then they have an inspector go over everything they did and double check the work. The Safety inspection is the same as the Class-8 trucks go through, including the DOT inspection sticker that I technically don't require to have displayed.

For me, I'm getting too old and already too fat to crawl under our rig... We only need to do this once a year, so the confidence that everything has been looked at is well worth it to us.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2019-03-19 184728.PDF (435.1 KB, 39 views)

Old 03-20-2019, 04:41 AM   #7

This is great to know. Thanks for the info. Seems reasonable to me.

Our Seneca doesn't have a ton of mileage, yet, just 5,700, but it is almost 4 years old. And I find every year I get older, things deteriorate with age, regardless of use. I think I'll schedule a service date for our Seneca soon.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:49 AM   #8

One thing I forgot to mention... If you call and get an appointment in advance... BE SURE to tell them it is an M2-106 chassis... Often when they even think they hear the word "motorhome"... they cringe and will start down the road of "we only take Motorhomes on "this day" between "this time" and it will be "this week" before they can get you in... Not the same with the Seneca and the M2 chassis. They will take us in any day that they are open. We usually can get our typical scheduled maintenance in and out within 2-3 hours while I wait in the drivers lounge. As long as they know it is on the M2 Chassis.