Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2018, 11:54 PM   #1

Greyhawk leveler panel not coming on - fixed

Posting this to save others trouble and perhaps take a look at theirs;

Leveler panel worked fine this morning. Tonight it won't come on. Checked parking break, vehicle in park, keys powered on, engine on, engine off, shore power, generator power, but the darn thing would not come on. Finally found the ground came off hydraulic motor under the chassis (driver side, just in front of rear wheel - look for hydraulic reservoir). The ground was pulled off the motor. It was a circle clip which makes me thing I ran over something that yanked it off, but I never saw/heard it if I did. You may want to try to tie your cable up and check for corrosion. If you look at the pic you can see its pretty bad for only 6 months old.

I crimped it in there for now until I get a more perm solution in place.

I also found the second set of power cables that power the light on the entry steps of mine in bad shape and it looks like the ground sheathing melted. They rub against the steps. Something else to fix.
Attached Thumbnails
ground.jpg   step wires.JPG  
Old 07-29-2018, 08:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini4mw View Post
Posting this to save others trouble and perhaps take a look at theirs;

Leveler panel worked fine this morning. Tonight it won't come on. Checked parking break, vehicle in park, keys powered on, engine on, engine off, shore power, generator power, but the darn thing would not come on. Finally found the ground came off hydraulic motor under the chassis (driver side, just in front of rear wheel - look for hydraulic reservoir). The ground was pulled off the motor. It was a circle clip which makes me thing I ran over something that yanked it off, but I never saw/heard it if I did. You may want to try to tie your cable up and check for corrosion. If you look at the pic you can see its pretty bad for only 6 months old.

I crimped it in there for now until I get a more perm solution in place.

I also found the second set of power cables that power the light on the entry steps of mine in bad shape and it looks like the ground sheathing melted. They rub against the steps. Something else to fix.

This is good information. What year is your coach, and how many miles are on it? It looks like there is an abnormal amount of corrosion on the underside parts you are showing. Mine is almost two years old with 20,000 miles, has been all over the U.S. and the underside shows some use, but virtually no corrosion.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:06 PM   #3

Good info. I just had exactly the same issue with our brand new Redhawk. We had just traveled across NY on a very rough highway and I at first thought the failure was caused by vibration. On closer inspection, it's obvious that when the connector was tightened at the factory, it was over torqued which turned the connector on the post and compressed it to the point of fracturing it. You are correct, the ground cable is not correctly routed or supported which no doubt contributed to the failure. I also did a temp fix (juryrig) in the campground. Just got home and will fab and install a proper cable tomorrow. Everyone with levelers should check for this.

redhawk
MikeUSNRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:48 PM   #4

I'm in southeast and most trips have been in GA and TN. Only 3k miles. Picked up new in Jan.

When I loosened the screw to.the motor the other 1/2 of the circle clamp fell off. Low guage wire, perhaps 6. Between the bend in the wire (with low guage - pressure pull off - wire doesn't want to easily bend to screw) and if it was over tightened, looks like it broke off.
Old 07-29-2018, 07:29 PM   #5

Quote:
I'm in southeast and most trips have been in GA and TN. Only 3k miles. Picked up new in Jan.

When I loosened the screw to.the motor the other 1/2 of the circle clamp fell off. Low guage wire, perhaps 6. Between the bend in the wire (with low guage - pressure pull off - wire doesn't want to easily bend to screw) and if it was over tightened, looks like it broke off.
Glad you found the problem. I have seen this type corrosion on units delivered in the winter months...from driving on treated roads.

Dealers should do a complete underbody wash down with special chemicals on anything delivered in winter months to avoid this problem.

You need to get this corrosion issue addressed. If not it will attack everything underneath and problems will continue.

I would talk to my dealer. Maybe they can offer some help. There are commercial products that can be applied. I would definitely look into doing something and soon.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
Glad you found the problem. I have seen this type corrosion on units delivered in the winter months...from driving on treated roads.

You need to get this corrosion issue addressed. If not it will attack everything underneath and problems will continue.

I would talk to my dealer. Maybe they can offer some help. There are commercial products that you can use to help. I would definitely look into doing something and soon.

X2
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:15 PM   #7

Thanks. I have gone through with a wire brush and anti corrosive on a few terminals but as you can tell it's still pretty rough. I'll see what I can find/do.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:44 PM   #8

I had the same corrosion issues on the underside of my rig (purchased in May and delivered over the winter). Camping World did nothing (shocker).

Many cans of Rustoleum Rust Reformer, Black enamel, wire brush and elbow grease... better than new.
JDPEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:34 PM   #9

My rig also has ridiculous amounts of corrosion; purchased in April. I plan to attack with wire brush and Por-15 (or similar, there are LOTS of options) at some point when I actually have time to invest. In the meantime, I bought a couple cans of WD-40 and sprayed all of the electrical connections along with nuts and bolts that I could see. It has helped quite a lot, but I REALLY need to get down there and hit some of the other stuff with rust converter or undercoating or something...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:54 PM   #10

Fluid Film seems to be one option to coat corrosive or rust prone areas. Has very good reviews on Amazon.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Fluid Film seems to be one option to coat corrosive or rust prone areas. Has very good reviews on Amazon.
AH!! Thank you!! I couldn't remember what that was called!!

I watched an application video and read a bunch of stuff about it, and it looks like a really good product. If it's not too expensive, I might buy a can and try it out. If it works well, I'll get some more and apply all over. And get some extra to use on my Jeep!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:52 AM   #12

On our 2015 29Me the problem was these two connectors under the coach that I eliminated with waterproof connectors, wires broke right off in my hand, these connectors are best under the dash not under the vehicle, especially if you live where they still use salt on the roads, while I was under there I cleaned the ground for the pump and raised it up
Attached Thumbnails
20170726_180104.jpg   20170726_180031.jpg   20170726_180044.jpg   20170726_174805.jpg  
Greyhawk 666 is offline   Reply With Quote