Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-16-2018, 11:55 AM   #1

Jayco Greyhawk Fusion Screen Does Not Return to Backup Camera After Using Turn Signal

I recently bought a 2018 Jayco Greyhawk 29ME with a Garmin Fusion "Infotainment System" installed from the factory. On the first trip I took I was towing a small trailer, so I selected the backup camera to be displayed on the Fusion screen in order to keep an eye on the trailer while I was driving. Every time I used my turn signal the Fusion screen would show the view from my side mirror camera and then go back to displaying the backup camera after the turn signal clicked off. (I did not have to select the backup camera on the Fusion main menu screen after the turn signal went off in order for the backup camera view to be displayed again.) After my first trip, I had some issues with the Garmin Fusion and brought the RV in to the dealer for them to resolve it. The dealer told me they needed to do a factor reset of the Fusion, and it now seemed to be working correctly. On the next trip I took, I towed my trailer again, so I selected the backup camera view on the main menu of the Fusion. The camera worked and displayed fine, but after each time I used my turn signal the Fusion screen would now go back to the main menu instead of displaying the backup camera. If I wanted to see the backup camera view, I had to select the camera again on the Fusion main menu screen. The Fusion only reacts this way for the backup camera, which it did not before. If I select the map, input source, etc. it returns to what I had selected before I used the turn signal, not the main menu screen. I told the dealer about this, and they told me everything is now working correctly. The Fusion display is supposed to go back to the main menu after the turn signal is used when the backup camera is selected. Can anyone confirm this it correct? It seems strange to me the Fusion only works like this when the backup camera is selected.
rdmacleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:37 PM   #2

What is a turn signal???
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:38 PM   #3

I'd have to get in and verify but I won't be able to for a few weeks. I know I've seen similar screen changes like you mention before though. Turn signal on/off and then a different screen is on the tablet then before. I want to say it happens with rear camera (I tow and check it out as well) like you mention, but I can't say for sure without testing it out.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermind View Post
What is a turn signal???
Something many dealers must remove before selling a car.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:51 PM   #5

My first thought about your question was to just be glad that is all you are having problems with on the Fusion Garmin unit. I think mine does the same as yours. I have to hit the rear camera button after the turn. Some people have rewired their system to eliminate the side cameras altogether. (you can go back through the older posts to find their comments) Mine acts differently ever other trip, so it seems. If you are not aware, these units have to be updated ever so often. The remote you hook up to your computer, the hub you update using a flash drive (that for the first time, has to be formatted first by your hub and then taken to your computer for the update and then back to the hub) Some of said that the updates corrected problems, on mine the last time I updated, made it worse for awhile. I wish I could figure this unit out! It looks like for the 2019 units, they used a different unit.
chfraser01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:03 PM   #6

Nevermind, I was waiting for that response from someone!
Old 08-16-2018, 01:09 PM   #7

chfraser01, thanks for your reply and the info about the updates. I had no idea the hub needed to be updated as well. These Fusion units seem to be quirky to say the least!
Old 08-16-2018, 01:41 PM   #8

We have the Fusion in our 2018 29MV and it does the same as yours after your dealer made the changes. The Fusion is most likely the single piece of equipment that I dislike the most on our coach.

Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermind View Post
What is a turn signal???

Something drivers can't use because they are holding their cell phone.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Something drivers can't use because they are holding their cell phone.

You are so right. Forgive me for being insensitive to others problems...
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:49 PM   #11

Piece of junk...mines going bye bye real soon. I can't even get the bluetooth to pair with my IPhone 10. And yes, the screen always goes back to home when the blinkers are used and side cameras come on even if I have backup camera selected prior...drives me nuts!

PS: Boss says I already am!
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:09 PM   #12

Lesson learned

Just a reminder not to plug in your phone via the provided USB port on your dash to charge. The Fusion/Garmin system has some sort of bug and if connected to your phone, you’ll have all kinds of weird stuff happen including menus and Bluetooth issues. Once I realized that it was the usb connector and stopped plugging in, my system has been very functional. And yes, this was after the dealer replaced the original unit, doing all software updates and spending 2 hours with Fusion support. Trust me, big difference.
Fmaylett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:08 AM   #13

Garmin Fusion disappointment

After owning our 2018 Melbourne 24L for over two months now, aside from a defective lower slide seal, the Garmin Fusion is one of the most dissatisfying things about this RV to date. I see Jayco has dropped this in-dash piece of $%&@ from the 2019 product lineup with a Soundstream product.

Question: Have other unhappy owners replaced this unit already and if so, with what product? Recommendations are welcome. Appreciate this line of discussion!
Old 08-18-2018, 12:33 PM   #14

Not needed.

We have a 2016 Greyhawk that we took out the factory system and replaced it with a Kenwood. The Kenwood only has 1 camera input which suits me just fine. I found the side view cameras a pain. The outside mirrors, especially the bottom convex, are far superior to the cameras. They're always on and give me an instant glance without turning on the turning on the signals. And besides, the Kenwood is far superior for music and the phone connection.
jdgmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:33 PM   #15

I was fine with my garmin/fusion unit until I plugged my phone in to play music. The whole thing stopped working and I could not turn it on or off. After about an hour after I removed the usb plug it started to work again. Not sure why I need a tablet and would just like the thing to work every time.

I will be looking at other options sooner than later.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
Piece of junk...mines going bye bye real soon. I can't even get the bluetooth to pair with my IPhone 10. And yes, the screen always goes back to home when the blinkers are used and side cameras come on even if I have backup camera selected prior...drives me nuts!
I use my iPhone X via Bluetooth with the Fusion with no issues. I stream SiruisXM continuously while driving and for music while camped.

Have you applied any of the updates to the hub dock and hub remote? There have been 5 updates since original release of v2.00 for the hub dock, current version is 3.20. The current version for the hub remote is v3.10, which includes updates maps.

Information on how to update can be found here: https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webh...B91253BCA.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgmint View Post
We have a 2016 Greyhawk that we took out the factory system and replaced it with a Kenwood. The Kenwood only has 1 camera input which suits me just fine. I found the side view cameras a pain. The outside mirrors, especially the bottom convex, are far superior to the cameras. They're always on and give me an instant glance without turning on the turning on the signals. And besides, the Kenwood is far superior for music and the phone connection.
The Garmin Fusion also only has one video input. There is a module that all three cameras connect, which sends one video signal to the Fusion based on the blinker and reverse signal to the module.

Not sure if the camera module is the issue on why the Fusion does not return to the rear camera after a side camera view. The Fusion may lose video signal briefly during the switch between cameras.
Balibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:54 PM   #17

Just my quick and easy feedback...I HATE that Garmin piece of junk...wish I had a normal radio and use my phone...this ting is crap
Rueckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:30 PM   #18
MD3

Any of you able to get rear camera audio from the Garmin ?
Jayco says it should work... Garmin says it should work... Camera company says it should work.... I can’t get it to work.
After going around and around Garmin says there system doesn’t work with ANY other cameras or audio, which is wrong since the camera works.

Very disappointing on nunerous fronts.

-
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:22 PM   #19

The rear camera microphone does work if you can make it do what it is suppose to do. The dealership had to rework the ground connection on my Fusion unit due to noise I was picking up from the cab A/C fan motor. When I picked it up I kept hearing a noise from my speakers as I was driving. Turned out the noise got worse when a truck was passing me on the interstate. Finally realized the noise was coming from the rear camera microphone. When I got home I tried to turn the microphone off. There seems to be a Mute button on the radio for the microphone. Mine would not shut it off. Tried "unchecking" the Mic Install box to shut it off - no luck there either. Finally took the dash apart and unplugged the cable and then it stopped. Like others have said, "it is quirky". I have learned to never plug my phone into the USB port under the dash. The radio unit does not like you doing that!

Old 08-20-2018, 02:56 PM   #20

Folks, I have been dealing with Garmin on the same issue with my Precept 31UL and they tell me it is software related. Everybody please contact Garmin AND COMPLAIN; the more people complain the more they are likely to come with a software update. Their phone number is (800) 253-5081 and I have been dealing with Benjamin.
Nebster is offline   Reply With Quote