Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-23-2016, 07:24 PM   #1

Just Started Shopping For A Seneca

I am just starting to look for a Seneca. I have learned a lot but I am still unsure about some of the differences between some of the earlier models with the Duramax/Allison set up verses the Cummins set up. Can someone please share some pros and cons of the earlier models vs the newer models?

I will be using the Seneca as a weekend camper during the summer then spending about 3 weeks in it in the winter when we head south. As I have been shopping I have seen some 2008-2010 models with various floor plans listed for somewhere around the $75,000 to $85,000 range. Then I see the 2012-2013 units listed for around the $130,000 range. The mileages are very similar, it seems that the Freightliner units are priced a little higher and potentially hold their value a little better. I just need help deciding if the newer are units are roughly $50,000 nicer than the older units.

I currently own two Duramax/Allison pick up trucks and am truly amazed by the power. I am assuming they do a good job in a motorhome as well. I guess some of what I am looking for is;

Is there a huge power difference between the two?

Is there an engine brake on either of them?

Jayco obviously picked the GM chassis over the Freightliner when they first started building them. I am assuming they only quit using them because GM quit building the 5500 chassis. Why wasn't the Freightliner their first choice? Cost? Mileage? or???

Does either set up have enough power to get out of its own way? It doesn't seem like enough motor for a lot of motorhome.

(like it really matters!) But is there a significant mileage difference between the two?
imdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:35 AM   #2

The main difference is in towing capacity. I'm a loyal Dmax owner as well but opted for the 2012+ model so that towing a car or trailer would not be an issue. Exhaust brakes are also standard and in my opinion this is one of the best features. We just completed 5000 mi trip including Colorado passes and I couldn't be happier. The front clip tilts up so all maint is a breeze too. Obviously newer models have more luxury features like exterior tv, fireplace, etc. we ended up using the fireplace quite a bit. Our used unit also came with a washer/dryer which is priceless if the option is finding a laundry mat in town. Bottom line is they are much different units which explains some of the big price delta.
BrentJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:47 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply. Do you have any idea on what the rated tow capacities are on both units?
Old 10-24-2016, 07:47 AM   #4

We bought a new Seneca 37FS October of last year. Have lived in it almost continuously since then. Very pleased.
Purchased from MH2Go in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Best price in the Country. I have no connections, except as a very satisfied customer.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:54 AM   #5

I believe it is 10k for the 2012+ but not sure on the <'08s. I seem to recall 5k but not sure.You can go to Jayco Website and find info on the current models for instance put in 2015 Jayco Seneca Specs and you should get them.
BrentJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:09 AM   #6

To calculate the actual recommended towing capacity of either a newer or older Seneca you need to know the chassis ratings such as the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating for the motorhome alone); GCWR (Gross Combination Weight Rating for combined motorhome and anything towed); OCCC (Occupant and Cargo Carrying Capacity); and the hitch's rating.

The newer Senecas have a 10,000 lb. rated hitch, a GVWR or 28,000 lbs., and a GCWR or 33,000 lbs. But if you load the motorhome up to the maximum (28,000 lbs.) rating itself then you reduce the recommended towing capacity to only 5,000 lbs. The same calculations would need to be made for any unit you might consider to stay within the recommended weight limits.

You notice I have stressed recommended, there are satisfied owners of both newer and older Senecas who tow beyond those numbers, I have not seen any reports of catastrophic failure from anyone, but there are many factors in play that cause manufacturers to put those limits in place. Transmissions, brakes, frame rail strength, are just some of the factors.

I am fairly certain the newer Senecas have higher OCCC ratings, perhaps some older Seneca owners will share so you can decide yourself what works for you. I have attached my unit's sticker so you can see how Jayco rated mine. I can tell you I have never even come close to the maximum GVWR of 28,000 lbs, and I carry a lot of "stuff"!
Attached Thumbnails
Weight tag 37TS without VIN.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:43 AM   #7

Do you need to tow and what is the weight?
We tow our 3700# car without a even knowing it's there except to see it in the camera. The towing capacity of the first generation (2005-2010) Seneca is 5000#'s.
We bought an '08 Seneca last December and have nothing but good things to say about it.
This is our third motorhome and although the chassis is similar to the first class A we owned for 10 years, the Duramax diesel engine is a plus. Our last motorhome was a 40' diesel pusher with the Cummins ISC.
The difference is driveability and safety (airbags) with the super C chassis.

Come join our first generation Seneca owner's group;
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/gr...on+owners.html

P.S. They all depreciate at an alarming rate.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:22 AM   #8

Abarkl makes a good point about safety, the fact that a big engine and frame rails are sitting ahead of you is certainly a plus in certain types of collisions.

But be advised while the earlier Senecas were equipped with driver and passenger airbags (as far as I know), the 2012-up Freightliner Senecas do not have cab airbags. If you hear talk of airbags in those years, it likely is related to the rear suspension being of an airbag spring design.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:49 PM   #9

I considered both older gen (Duramax/Kodiak) vs newer generation (Cummins/Freighliner). In the end, I decided that I liked both drivetrains and both chassis more or less equally. The new gen is a bit nicer in terms of appointments, but nagging moderately important issues seem to be a bit greater on the new gen (tankless water heater, DEF fluid requirements, filling fuel on both sides, and a few persistent minor chassis electrical issues on some). Mileage and age do play a role, and to that extent, the older gen units may have been used or driven more. As they go along, MH manufacturers tend to offer enhancements that are thought out better than the previous generation. Likely that is so in the Seneca units as well. Both are quite reliable when they are well taken care of with oil changes, recommended service intervals on trans, brakes, cooling systems, etc). Also, my length hard limit was just under 36 feet 3 inches, and the old gen 34SS was inside that limit. But in the end, we decided that we liked the older generation at least as much as the newer generation, and they are significantly less costly, and will likely depreciate less in terms of actual dollars while we own it. I couldn't see investing over $100 grand in a motorhome of any type. Your mileage may vary.

My GCWR is 26,000 lbs on my 2006 34SS. GVWR is 22,000, which means max cargo and occupants and toads is 4000 lbs. if the unit is completely full to load capacity. The empty unit is 18,351 lbs, and loaded we're about 20,400. So, my towing capacity should be around 5600 lbs. My Jeep Wrangler is about 4200, and it's hard to tell it's even there. We're traveling a bit under 25,000 lbs total, and the Duramax 300Hp handles Colorado highways very well, as long as you don't need to drive them all at 65mph uphill. The later Duramax has a bit more Hp (about 325, I think) and the Cummins is, I believe, rated around 340 Hp. Both are turbocharged, and do well at altitude or on flats. I seem to hover right around 10mpg mixed.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:50 PM   #10

Thanks for all of the great replies everyone. I do intend to tow but it will depend on the destination and plans for the trip on what I will tow. I shouldn't have a problem keeping under the GCWR for any of my towables.

Has anyone experimented at all with the various ECM engine tuning options that are available for both the Cummins and the Duramax? I know I got some fantastic results in my Duramax trucks using them.

Am I understanding that the Freightliner chassis uses air brakes?

Thanks again, any other information is highly welcomed.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:58 PM   #11

abarkl,

Thanks for the invite to the first generation Seneca group. I will nose around there a little too.

Does anyone have any hints on where else to shop for a Seneca? I of course have tried most of the RV trader type sites.

Come join our first generation Seneca owner's group;
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/gr...on+owners.html
Old 10-24-2016, 05:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdone View Post
Thanks for all of the great replies everyone. I do intend to tow but it will depend on the destination and plans for the trip on what I will tow. I shouldn't have a problem keeping under the GCWR for any of my towables.

Has anyone experimented at all with the various ECM engine tuning options that are available for both the Cummins and the Duramax? I know I got some fantastic results in my Duramax trucks using them.

We have not made any changes to the Duramax but we have added every aftermarket chassis/suspension bolt on available for the Kodiak and it handles like a dream.
Koni shocks, front and rear track bars, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs, and front and rear sway bars.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarkl View Post
We have not made any changes to the Duramax but we have added every aftermarket chassis/suspension bolt on available for the Kodiak and it handles like a dream.
Koni shocks, front and rear track bars, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs, and front and rear sway bars.
Can you give me an idea on the cost of the parts that you mention?
Old 10-24-2016, 05:38 PM   #14

About $2500 self installed.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdone View Post

Many(most?) of us with the newer Freightliners are probably still within the Cummins warranty.

Newer units, yes. I have a 2014 which has hydraulically-boosted hydraulic disc brakes on all 4 corners. I have never found them to be lacking. The newer Senecas have air-actuated drum brakes all around.

Good luck in your decision!