Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2017, 02:18 PM   #1

Lack of slide awning on Melbourne 24L

Hello fellow RV's, got a question about the lack of slide out awning on Melbourne 24L MBS. Anyone have issues with trash/debris accumulating on roof of slide while camping and then causing damage to slide when retracted. Just wondering, without a ladder I foresee this as a possible problem. Any advice
Coalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:00 PM   #2

We camp in the pines (needles) and it's never been a problem. The rubber seal does a good job of keeping out debris. I get up on the roof and sweep once in a great while.
2 x Golden Retrievers
dangerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:33 AM   #3

Keeping slideout top clean

Thanks dangerdave for responding, seems most folks carry a ladder, leaf blower and broom...guess I'll do the same. Happy camping
Old 06-09-2017, 04:05 PM   #4

It's a ladder and Cordless leaf blower for me. I blow it off every time before I close it.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 05:44 PM   #5

Pfflyer, thanks for the info, I think that's the way. While we are here, I'm buying a 2017 Melbourne 24L MBS next week. Do you have any advice, things or systems to look close at. Are you happy with your, any problems you have. How is the bed. I understand it needs folded up before putting in the slide. Can you get to the toilet when the slide is in. Thanks in advance for any info...safe travels and fun campsites
Old 06-09-2017, 09:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coalman View Post
Pfflyer, thanks for the info, I think that's the way. While we are here, I'm buying a 2017 Melbourne 24L MBS next week. Do you have any advice, things or systems to look close at. Are you happy with your, any problems you have. How is the bed. I understand it needs folded up before putting in the slide. Can you get to the toilet when the slide is in. Thanks in advance for any info...safe travels and fun campsites
There are several threads here about pre delivery things to check but basically make sure you understand the basics and that everything works.
I have the 24K but with the slides in there is plenty of room except in the bedroom. I am not sure about the 24L. The bed is our only issue with our coach. It is hard to make the bed for us, it is too short from the factory for me and ours seems to be the wrong one for our slide. The foot of the bed that folds up is thicker than the head to make it level when the slide is out but the thick part doesn't cover all of the step down. This wasn't a problem till several nights out when the bed became un-comfortable because of a dip in the mattress. We have solved those issues except for the hard to make issue but part of that is the mattress topper we added. Just got my coach back from Cummins because the generator wouldn't start when the fuel level was below 3/4 tank because they piped it wrong from the factory. Overall we like it but are considering getting a little larger coach when I get closer to being able to take longer than 1 week trips.

Good luck and safe travels.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:05 AM   #7

We also have a 24K, and we really like it. I will tell you that we ran into someone at a campground recently who had a 24L and after seeing ours wished they'd compared before they purchased. As Pfflyer said, our bed is hard to make, but that's been true with every camper we've owned in recent years. We use a double instead of a queen top sheet (less material to deal with), and that has helped. Don't be embarrassed to lie down on the bed. A lot of people complain about the mattress in their camper, especially because they're short (unless they have a high-end unit). We have seen the Sunseeker, and their bend-up mattress has a good system because it is a wedge. With ours, we have solved the "bend gap" by putting a large pool noodle under the mattress to fill in the gap when the bed is flat - it takes two seconds to put it under there. As far as getting to bathroom/fridge/etc. when the slide is in, that is really important. We can with the K - don't know about the L. Also, make them install a slide topper as part of the sales deal!
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:03 PM   #8

Melbourne 24L MBS

Thanks Koko, bed making is a problem, we are up grading from slide in truck camper so we can deal with difficult bed making. We are about 3 weeks into doing homework and research on smaller class C motorhomes and feel we are happy with MBS 24L chassis, coach, floor plan, etc. we decided that there isn't one motorhome perfect for all situations.

Anyone have an opinion about propane vs diesel generator, ours will have diesel.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:44 PM   #9

I have no issues with the diesel except they plumbed it wrong from the factory. There is a you tube video comparing the noise levels and in this test, LP, diesel, and gas were basically neck and neck with diesel being slightly quieter. Surprised me. If you travel at higher altitudes diesel does better without any adjustments.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:39 AM   #10

Hope you'll like the 24L, Coalman. We have the same model, only it's a 2016 and love it. I've toyed for a year now whether to have a slide topper put on, but am always nervous about techs drilling into my rig. I'm too old to do that stuff myself anymore. So I carry a collaspable ladder that folds down to a 4" square and sweep the slide when necessary. I like the idea of a cordless leaf blower though, thanks Pfflyer. As for the bed, it's easy to make once the slide is out and we added a mattress topper so we think it's comfy enough. Just got back from a 6 week trip out west and slept fine. But waking up in my own bed beats all. The front end is a couple inches lower than the rear, so even on level sites I need a couple inches lift, which I use plastic levelers for their light weight. I love the way it handles and the 170" wheelbase makes it easy to fuel up, and oftentimes tow a 2300 Chevy Spark where I carry extra stuff. Still got 13 MPG over 6000 miles across the plains and through the Western mountains. Best of luck and post what you've decided.
Roadkingrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:19 PM   #11

We have a 2016, 24k and had slide toppers installed on both slides. Not so much because of debris but for shade when we camp in the Arizona desert. The slide toppers seem to cut down the heat in the slides.
The rear bedroom slide topper interferes with the back up camera but that doesn't bother me since I can't back up towing 4 down anyhow. I can still see enough to tell if something stupid is going on with my tow bar.
Roy
stumpshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:06 AM   #12

We have a 24M and had the dealer install slide awnings before we picked it up. Not expensive and they did a great job. I agree it helps keep unit cooler and has diverted heavy rains and debris from the slide
Sheppard is offline   Reply With Quote