Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2018, 11:03 AM   #1

No power to microwave

We have a 2017 29mv , this weekend trip microwave would not work ( no power going to it) checked 20 amp breaker and it was not tripped (flipped it off and on) plugged microwave in to extension cord to 20 amp. Service at park pole and all was working great. Turned off both a/c units and still no power. Last trip out two weeks ago we lost power to it but it came back on with no reset to breaker. What can I check next?
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:10 AM   #2

Check outlet with GFI and make sure the GFI wasn't tripped. Push test and reset button.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:18 AM   #3

Pull the receptacle from the wall/cabonet and check the wiring, some have been known to loosen.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:34 AM   #4

You mentioned two air conditioners so you also have the power management system that sheds appliances when needed to keep you from overloading the 30 amp service your motorhome has.

If working correctly both air conditioners can run at the same time but other appliances may not.

It sounds like your problem could be the power management may be shedding the microwave but not returning power?

Were you running both the air conditioners when this happens? After power management sheds it takes a bit for power to come back after enough amps are again available.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 12:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetmaker View Post
You mentioned two air conditioners so you also have the power management system that sheds appliances when needed to keep you from overloading the 30 amp service your motorhome has.

If working correctly both air conditioners can run at the same time but other appliances may not.

It sounds like your problem could be the power management may be shedding the microwave but not returning power?

Were you running both the air conditioners when this happens? After power management sheds it takes a bit for power to come back after enough amps are again available.

I've been an electrician for 35 years and RV'ed for 18 and I've never heard of a "power shedding" device in any sub $500,000 motorhome. What is the brand and model number of this device?
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:05 PM   #6

I think you are right, have power in wire behind breaker but not in same wire at outlet. Microwave not showing up when I scroll through power management device.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
I've been an electrician for 35 years and RV'ed for 18 and I've never heard of a "power shedding" device in any sub $500,000 motorhome. What is the brand and model number of this device?
Believe it or not, the Greyhawks with 2 AC units have them. IIRC they're made by Progressive Dynamics. They keep these 30A units from throwing breakers between the 2 AC units and the other high draw devices like microwaves and electric water heaters. When there's a demand for power, the system will shed one of the AC units to provide enough power to whatever called for the demand. It will also shed other items to provide for both ACs to run.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
We have a 2017 29mv , this weekend trip microwave would not work ( no power going to it) checked 20 amp breaker and it was not tripped (flipped it off and on) plugged microwave in to extension cord to 20 amp. Service at park pole and all was working great. Turned off both a/c units and still no power. Last trip out two weeks ago we lost power to it but it came back on with no reset to breaker. What can I check next?
Did you PRESS the breaker to the off position? Those breakers need to be 'reset' after it trips by pressing it the off direction against spring pressure, not just moving/flipping to the off position. If you haven't already, give that a try. It's a common issue.

Please let us know...

EDIT: Oops! Thanks Grumpy. I missed that post by Fuzzy.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Did you PRESS the breaker to the off position? Those breakers need to be 'reset' after it trips by pressing it the off direction against spring pressure, not just moving/flipping to the off position. If you haven't already, give that a try. It's a common issue.

Please let us know...
His last post...

Quote:
I think you are right, have power in wire behind breaker but not in same wire at outlet. Microwave not showing up when I scroll through power management device.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Vic...yes it’s a factory included feature of a Greyhawk 30 amp Service with 2 air conditioners option. Works great at controlling load and monitoring amps being used.

Here is a detailed description if you can read it sorry it’s small print.
Attached Thumbnails
CA864B9C-73B9-4945-9E2F-7857A2E0050E.jpg   31583FD0-8DB5-440A-BC85-27702F98306D.jpeg  
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Vic...yes it’s a factory included feature of a Greyhawk 30 amp Service with 2 air conditioners option. Works great at controlling load and monitoring amps being used.

It works exceptionally well in my 2017 GreyHawk w/2 A/Cs. A great feature I wouldn’t be without.
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:51 PM   #12

It looks like the power management feature comes on all Prestige 2018 and 2019 (saw on 31fsps). I was in a single ac 2018 with the PMS. I see pictures online for 2019 single AC that look like they have it too.
Fishstick8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:06 PM   #13

Quote:

Thanks for the information! I gotta have one of those!
Old 08-28-2018, 10:03 AM   #14

Update, found hot and common wires had melted together in breaker panel. Hot wire had burnt completely into! Repaired and all is good now.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Update, found hot and common wires had melted together in breaker panel. Hot wire had burnt completely into! Repaired and all is good now.
Any clues as to how this may have happened in such a young coach??
JDPEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:42 AM   #16

No power to microwave

Looks as though both wires hot and common had been started to be stripped with a wire stripping tool and not had insulation removed (only scarred all way around) then stripped closer to the end of wire with insulation removed and connected to breaker and common bar. Wires where then pushed into the breaker panel box with cover and apparently rubbed on each other and over time arched.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:50 PM   #17

I know this may sound way out there but please indulge me.

I have run into situations with microwave ovens that I could not understand.

Here it goes:
My mother-in law kept tripping a breaker that her microwave was connected to. So being an Electrical Engineer I figured I could fix this easy. Probably just a weak breaker. As a test only, mind you, I replaced the breaker with a 20 amp instead of the normal 15 amp breaker.

Several days later she called my wife and the 20 amp let go. Hmmm.
As soon as I reset it the microwave worked fine. Cooked me a free dinner and everything. Well, not that I wanted my mother-in-law to die in a microwave induced fire, I put a new 15 amp breaker in place of the 20 amp test breaker. Don't be concerned about the 20 amp test for I wired the place with 12 gauge wire myself. I don't like 14. People always overload them.

Ok, so now we have an intermittently tripping breaker. But the microwave works fine. So I tore into the wiring and found everything tight and secure.
hmmmm....

I told her not to use the microwave anymore. "Use the range for a while." I said receiving a very questionable look from her. She hadn't cooked on a range in years.

No tripping of the breaker was the result. Bought her a new microwave oven and haven't heard from her since. Turns out the magnetron tube in the microwave would intermittently short and pop the breaker.

Same thing happened at an apartment house I owned and I told the tenant to get rid of the microwave oven. She refused and moved. About a month later she called and said the same thing happened at her new apartment and that I was right. My head still hasn't stopped swelling.

If the shedding system works according to what I believe, it will shut down any device that has an overload condition on the system. I think you might want to move the microwave to a different circuit that isn't so controlled. You just might trip a breaker. Just a wild guess.

Please, do not let me know if this works. My hats don't fit as it is.
Walt
wporzucek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:15 PM   #18

Thats what happened to me
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:41 PM   #19

check your converter...... sometimes if you had a power surge the breaker inside the converter will swell and the whole converter will go bad. Never a fun a thing.
JaycoChix89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:09 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoChix89 View Post
check your converter...... sometimes if you had a power surge the breaker inside the converter will swell and the whole converter will go bad. Never a fun a thing.

In all my 35 years as an electrician I have never seen a swollen breaker. Please explain.