Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-15-2018, 04:31 AM   #1

Picking up my new 2019 Seneca 37FS

I will be picking up my new Seneca next week it has been on order since March, I am looking for advice on what to check before I drive off the lot with it. I will make sure they show me every system but besides that any suggestions or gotchas I should be looking for?

In advance, thank you!
GeorgeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:12 AM   #2

Congrats, how exciting for you!! Also very wise with your Seneca selection Operate EVERYTHING, especially the slides and awning. Check for slide alignment IN and OUT and any weird noises or motor struggling. Water intrusion through the picture frame gap around the slides has been a common issue and you really want an additional bead of sealant placed in those seams. Have it done professionally with blue tape marking off the edges even if your dealer won't as part of the PDI sign-off. Check that the DOT date codes on the accessible tires make sense for your year. Look for paint issues too as others have complained about the quality of post-2016 builds. If the dealer has an onsite campground, use it before driving away for good. Have fun and don't get too stressed!
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:16 PM   #3

Echoing others, it seems like slide functionality is a big one. Make them show you where low point drains are located and make sure city water and tank water (pump) works with no leaks.
It might be handy to have a small flashlight to aid your examining under the sinks and checking paint for defects.
It also seems like some have a hard time locating all the fuses and breakers for the chassis and house.
Look for loose bolts and screws. Especially look at the seams at the front and rear caps for lifting or screws pulling through. Several of us are having issues with them on various years.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:07 PM   #4

Exciting times

This is very exciting for you and you should be prepared to enjoy it.

Watch for extended warranty pitches just at the last minute. If you haven’t had time to research the warranty company you have no idea what you are buying. Tire protection plans are the same. Make sure you read everything you sign (No bailment agreements!)

The picture frame seams on the slides are a major point of water intrusion; check those all around.

Mine had screws coming up through the linoleum floor.

Read the generator break in! I luckily did not accidentally screw this up; and order some filters from amazon as first change comes at 50 hours.

Regardless of newness, I did not leave the lot without checking all tire pressure and engine/gen oil.

If I had the time, staying near the original dealership for even a week would have ironed out the majority of problems I have encountered within the first year.

Make sure you have a dogbone with you in case you get a 30amp site.

Have a great time; you will love it!

“Somebody’s gotta drive that tractor home!”
Old 06-15-2018, 07:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeM View Post
I will be picking up my new Seneca next week it has been on order since March, I am looking for advice on what to check before I drive off the lot with it. I will make sure they show me every system but besides that any suggestions or gotchas I should be looking for?

In advance, thank you!

WooHoo!! Congratulations!!
Stargazerandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:57 PM   #6

Make sure to ask where the slide out controllers are, don't settle for under the bed. Make them show you. I still haven't found mine after 6 months.
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote