Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2024, 08:14 AM   #1

power step issue

hello everyone.

I've been having an issue with the power step on my 2019 Redhawk 31F since I bought it, used, a year or so ago.

the switch near the door that should turn the step on and off seems to be functioning oddly.

when the switch is in the down position, the step moves out when i open the door and in when i close the door.

when the switch is in the up position, the step will not go out if its under the camper, but it WILL go in if its already out.

i cant make the step stay out, unless i unplug the motor.

when i was looking around under the camper, i saw a sticker on the step unit that says "splicing into the step power may result in malfunction"

it does look to me like someone did some work with the wires there

the previous owner had a satellite dish installed.

the satellite dish means nothing to me, if i have to disconnect the dish to get the step to function, thats fine with me.

im capable of cutting and splicing wires, but i dont know what im looking at.

does anyone have any possible things to try to fix the step?
ox411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 11:41 AM   #2

Lippert has a couple of videos I've used to test the connections. I bought the test harness of Amazon for under $20. Given the amount of trouble I've had with my steps, I think it was an good investment. See if this helps:

Old 03-20-2024, 11:57 AM   #3

Here is a link to some step troubleshooting on a separate forum post.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ems-98780.html

It contains the service manual for the steps, part numbers, and tips.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 12:50 PM   #4

Thank you both, I'll see what I can do
ox411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 03:45 PM   #5

My problem is step goes in and out with a mind of it's own no matter what position the switch is in. Stopped for gas and step was in. Switch was turned off. Got to our destination after running through miles of rain. Something must have shorted out and step came out on it's own. Went through the gate at my brother-in-laws place and crunch! Step had gone out by itself and is now bent beyond repair. We were unable to unbolt the step assembly, so we cut the bent up step off with a sawzall. On the way home, I could hear the step trying to continually go in and out on it's own, even though the switch was in the off position. Finally crawled underneath and disconnected the wires. I am guessing this will be a $1,000 repair. Thinking that I will ditch the power step in favor of a manual step. Anyone else had this situation before?
Old 03-20-2024, 03:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCJ View Post
My problem is step goes in and out with a mind of it's own no matter what position the switch is in. Stopped for gas and step was in. Switch was turned off. Got to our destination after running through miles of rain. Something must have shorted out and step came out on it's own. Went through the gate at my brother-in-laws place and crunch! Step had gone out by itself and is now bent beyond repair. I am guessing this will be a $1,000 repair. Thinking that I will ditch the power step in favor of a manual step. Anyone else had this situation before?
Sounds like a bad control board or a loose connection. With the ignition on and door closed, it should always stay retracted.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCJ View Post
the wires. I am guessing this will be a $1,000 repair. Thinking that I will ditch the power step in favor of a manual step. Anyone else had this situation before?
The steps are like $700. So yeah, probably close to a grand if you pay a tech for the labor.
Old 03-28-2024, 01:52 PM   #8

not sure what insurance you have, but Good Sam may pay for the entire cost. Again, I'm not sure what insurance plans Good Sam has, but the Diamond and Platium insurance will pay for the cost. They also have an "barely insurance" plan that probably won't pay.
jvcleve is offline   Reply With Quote