Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2019, 06:22 PM   #1

Quick inspection saved the day... Generator fill cap completely off...

Man oh man... Sometimes you just don't know "why" you decide to do something but you do it and it pays off... Had the generator running on our 30X for an hour or so while we were out and needed to keep the A/C on. When I got back I decided to do a walk around since some of the other RVs where we were at were awful close from a parallel parking standpoint. So I get around to where the generator is and I notice something dripping and there's a small puddle on the ground. I put my finger in it and realize, holy crap, this is oil... I immediately open up the generator to be greeted with a small oil spray and I find the fill cap had somehow come completely loose. So I immediately kill the generator. Now I have no idea how it came lose, how it essentially came completely open, but I was lucky to catch it and not have all the oil come out which would seize up the generator. I'm still trying to figure out how that happened but I can see oil down the fill tube and so I didn't lose that much. Just enough to need to top off so the dipstick registers but yikes...

Anyone got any ideas how it unscrewed itself...??? It was on, or at least I thought so at the time, when the dealer did the walkthrough and showed us how to remove the cover but I haven't had to look since. The door is locked so I don't think someone could have gotten in there to sabotage me or anything like that. Once it's completely cooled down I'll clean up as best as I can due to the spray and move on but wow...

Jeff
jeffro01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:31 PM   #2

It should shut down due to low oil pressure before it seizes. I've never had one come loose. Maybe the dealer checked the oil and didn't tighten the cap.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeThompson View Post
It should shut down due to low oil pressure before it seizes. I've never had one come loose. Maybe the dealer checked the oil and didn't tighten the cap.
That's comforting actually... Perhaps you're right but I'd like to think I would have noticed that when they had the cover off... Ran the generator several times at home and never noticed it so it had to have been loose then vibrated off?

Jeff
jeffro01 is offline   Reply With Quote