Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-23-2017, 11:49 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bristol
Posts: 11
RV Covers? Yay or Nay

We are thinking about getting an RV cover for our Redhawk 29xk. Good idea? Bad Idea? Why?
__________________

GForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:56 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Connellsville
Posts: 1,507
This is one of those you either love them or hate them questions. I have used a cover in the past on my former Nash. It was cumbersome to put on, always snagging on something, would blow loose in a hard wind, and ended up rubbing marks in some areas of the siding. Now, it wasn't a custom made cover for the trailer and that probability contributed to some of my frustration with it.

I have decided to keep our new Jayco uncovered for now at least. I just don't want to deal with a cover anymore.
__________________

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:47 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Springfield
Posts: 205
If you have the room, you can't go wrong with a metal cover. It will pay you back in spades. Advantages include:
Dramatically slows water leaks so you can catch them early.
If you get a leak in the overhead bunk, average cost of repair is equal to the cost of the cover. Protects the tires from sun damage and decals from fading.
Protects the paint/clear coat. Enables you to work on the rig, and go in and out of it without sun or getting wet. Helps maintain the value of your rig. When you go to sell, and the buyer see's it covered, the sale is half made. There is no better investment in my opinion. Here's another added bonus. If you order the cover wider than need be, you have additional dry storage which really helps. Adds resale value to your home. An additional tip, if you can order it longer than your rig do so. Mine is 8 foot longer than the rig and really helps protect the front from the sun.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:12 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Bristol
Posts: 11
dont have the room...
GForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:28 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
nwminnesota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Blaine
Posts: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by t18skyguy View Post
If you have the room, you can't go wrong with a metal cover. It will pay you back in spades. Advantages include:
Dramatically slows water leaks so you can catch them early.
If you get a leak in the overhead bunk, average cost of repair is equal to the cost of the cover. Protects the tires from sun damage and decals from fading.
Protects the paint/clear coat. Enables you to work on the rig, and go in and out of it without sun or getting wet. Helps maintain the value of your rig. When you go to sell, and the buyer see's it covered, the sale is half made. There is no better investment in my opinion. Here's another added bonus. If you order the cover wider than need be, you have additional dry storage which really helps. Adds resale value to your home. An additional tip, if you can order it longer than your rig do so. Mine is 8 foot longer than the rig and really helps protect the front from the sun.
Where did you get it and what brand is it?
Do you leave it up all year?
__________________
2014 6.6L Duramax 2500hd CrewCab
2018 5th wheel on its way
2011 x23b (sold)
05 f150 5.4 v8 (sold)
nwminnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:35 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bremerton
Posts: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by GForce View Post
We are thinking about getting an RV cover for our Redhawk 29xk. Good idea? Bad Idea? Why?
I cover mine with one of these since 2008 and have been happy with the results come spring.

they will probably last 5 seasons each, depending on quality.
https://www.amazon.com/RV-Trailer-Co...node=155314011
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:49 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
JFlightRisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Newark
Posts: 1,167
We cover our TT every fall about this time. First it gets a good cleaning and time to dry. In the spring it looks just as good when uncovered. Major up points for us 1) keeps it from sun damage 2) keeps water out of the rolled up awning, so it doesn't get moldy 3) all clean for spring, with no black streaks. The tires get covers, too. Just what we do to protect it.
__________________
2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab
1 Spoiled Dog
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:22 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Springfield
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwminnesota View Post
Where did you get it and what brand is it?
Do you leave it up all year?
Here's mine. I got it from an outfit in Salem Oregon called Western metal carports( I might have the wording wrong) It cost $6000 and is 40 long,14wide, and 12 high. Plenty of room to store stuff on the covered side also. Search RV carports in your area you'll find them. It's anchored to the ground every few feet with two types of anchors about two feet deep. Yes it stays up all year.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0142.jpg   IMG_0143.jpg  
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:32 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Marcm157's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Newburgh
Posts: 2,221
I do cover mine for all the same reasons. Procedures are the same as well. Someday I hope to be able to afford a steel enclosure but until then it's just a plain old RV cover..
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0463.jpg  
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:27 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Parma, Ohio
Posts: 197
Cover it, straps (included) allow you to cinch the cover snug so there is no"flapping". Tires get covered also, tires get an extra10lbspressure. Keeping the sun off is the main reason, helps retain nice graphics (decals) and nice color on your walls, helps roof also.
If I had the option, I'd go with an oversized car port with sides , but for the present moment the cloth cover will make do.
__________________

__________________
2009 Jayco Jayflight 29BHS G2
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.