Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-02-2019, 09:55 AM   #1

Sanitizing Melbourne Water System Question

Time to finally head out on my maiden voyage next week so need to get the water system sanitized.

Read through the manual but of course it is written very generically. My question is where is the fresh water tank drain? I don't see anything under the coach, thinking it might be one of the blue lines in the utility center (I have a 24LP). I think the water tank is under the bed but have not removed the screws to check it and see if there is a drain under there; don't see how there could be as I don't see an outlet down below.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
IdahoKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:33 AM   #2

Use Sanitized Water In Other Tanks

Whenever I sanitize my tanks I always just pump the water from the fresh tank to both the gray and black tanks. That way they get a bit of a cleaning as well. I let it sit there for a few days. Don't know if there is any umph left in the bleach.

I had a Lance camper for 25 years. I am so glad that my first sanitize of its tank was done in that manner. Turned out the black water tank's drain valve was broken - the handle could be pulled but the actual slide valve was not connected to the rod.

I had to take the camper in for warranty so they could replace the valve. Soooooo glad it was clean water in that tank.
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:03 PM   #3

JimD appreciate the advice but that approach would take forever to drain the fresh water tank. On previous RV's have always run some through black and gray tanks but majority of fresh water tank was dumped out the fresh water drain.
IdahoKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:57 PM   #4

On a 24K the freshwater tank and low point drains are all in the utility compartment. There are three maybe 4 drain valves. I think your grey or blank drain valves are different from mine so your fw drain may be as well. The only blue lines I have are the delivery lines (pressure). My low point and FW tank drain lines are white with maybe a stripe if memory serves me well.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:53 PM   #5

On our Melbourne, a 24M, 2016, there's a tab near the back of the unit, driver side, that has a label on the wall that says something like "Fresh Water Drain."
Just twist it. It'll take a while to drain, depending on how full the tank is.
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote