Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-06-2017, 08:02 PM   #1

Seneca and high winds

We are scheduled to leave Friday and arrive in Myrtle Beach on Saturday. By Monday Irma could be impacting the area. How much wind would you be comfortable staying in? I have never been in a hurricane or even around the edges so I am trying to plan ahead with several options and when to pull the leave trigger.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 09-06-2017, 08:09 PM   #2

Mobile homes have a terrible track record
I'd think an RV would be less protection
Unless the track changes I'd not even think of it
And you could be forced to evacuate anyway.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:23 PM   #3

I think I would stay away from the coast, its not going to be nice camping weather and so many unknowns.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:03 PM   #4

When you say 'leave' are you leaving from the hurricane or leaving for the hurricane?

Assuming it's trying to evacuate, then please consider that the roads typically become impassible during an evacuation.

While I haven't been in one either, my wife's from S. Texas and has been in a couple.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:33 AM   #5

I've been through at at least half a dozen or so and you don't want to be anywhere near this thing, especially in a MH. Right now Irma is a monster...strongest hurricane ever recorded in the Atlantic. I would be very surprised if you were not turned back by the police at the SC state line. Go somewhere else and consider yourself lucky that you didn't get started on your trip just to turn around and evacuate. Be safe!
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:37 AM   #6

Please stay away. The hurricanes themselves can be horrible, but they can spin off a lot of tornadoes which really add to the problem. You just never know what they're going to do. Roads closed and inability to get out, floods, lack of fuel if you can get any, long power outages, lack of groceries and the possibilities go on. You just never know what they're going to do. The last damage we sustained from one was in 2005 (Rita). Even where we're at in mid west Louisiana, we lost 35 hardwood trees, garage doors blown out and other misc damage. 100 mph winds and that was this far north.

I'd stay safe, avoid the gamble, and stay away from the area. Just as Harvey was, unpredictable.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:25 AM   #7

I've been in 40 mph winds in New Mexico. That was enough. Slide out covers flapped all night. Had to pull in the slides to get any sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Seneca HJ
2004 Wrangler
Mountain Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:36 AM   #8

We would be leaving Cincinnati Friday and staying in Virginia Friday night and continuing on to Myrtle Beach Saturday afternoon.

I appreciate all of the feedback. At this point we will likely for to Virginia and then assess based on the track of the storm.

Your comments are definitely causing me to re-think this trip. I think we were OK with going in and then evac'ing for a day or two and then returning. But, now I'm not so thrilled with that prospect.

Thanks
Old 09-07-2017, 09:00 AM   #9

been thru 5 hurricanes no fun, stay away flooded roads in low country storm surge, no gas and traffic jams
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew968 View Post
We would be leaving Cincinnati Friday and staying in Virginia Friday night and continuing on to Myrtle Beach Saturday afternoon.

I appreciate all of the feedback. At this point we will likely for to Virginia and then assess based on the track of the storm.

Your comments are definitely causing me to re-think this trip. I think we were OK with going in and then evac'ing for a day or two and then returning. But, now I'm not so thrilled with that prospect.

Thanks
I wouldn't even consider that (evacuating and then going back) unless you're there to assist with recovery. LOTS of family and friends just went through Harvey. With that one it wasn't the wind, but the water in most cases. Irma has A LOT of BOTH. If you decide to go, evacuate, go back, you'll end up hindering recovery efforts (assuming travel is even possible), and John is right about the supplies. There won't be any (there really aren't any NOW).

So I'm going to echo what others have said, and quote Randy Quaid from Independence Day; "Get as far away from these things as you can!"

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I wouldn't even consider that (evacuating and then going back) unless you're there to assist with recovery. LOTS of family and friends just went through Harvey. With that one it wasn't the wind, but the water in most cases. Irma has A LOT of BOTH. If you decide to go, evacuate, go back, you'll end up hindering recovery efforts (assuming travel is even possible), and John is right about the supplies. There won't be any (there really aren't any NOW).

So I'm going to echo what others have said, and quote Randy Quaid from Independence Day; "Get as far away from these things as you can!"
X2
mikem56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:39 AM   #12

Quote:
I think we were OK with going in and then evac'ing for a day or two and then returning.

I guess it depends on where you're going and where Irma hits, but I just don't think an "in and out" approach will work.

Any roads that are still drive-able will be completely clogged.
The other roads will be impassible.

There will be no gas, no water, no food, no electric, no sewer -- no infrastructure.

And as someone else pointed out, you'll most likely be denied passage into any area that's affected.

Harvey slammed into Port Aransas, a place we know well and visit often. Not only did it wipe the RV parks and RVs off the map, the place is still pretty much inhabitable and that's many days later.

The resort we stay at is standing but it doesn't look like it'll be open until well into next year.

My head's at "Even if the storm doesn't get ya', you wouldn't want to be in the area anyway".
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:49 PM   #13

Thanks everyone!

Reservations are canceled...easy enough to rebook if Irma misses!!!
Old 09-07-2017, 02:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Thanks everyone!

Reservations are canceled...easy enough to rebook if Irma misses!!!
That's a good plan. I think no matter what path Irma takes, Myrtle Beach is going to take an extremely hard hit.

As a kid I lived in New Bern NC, been through a few Hurricanes. The last one I remember, we where down visiting when I think Andrew came through. We left about a week before it hit, and the waves at the OBX were awesome to watch but fierce.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:09 PM   #15

Quote:
We are scheduled to leave Friday and arrive in Myrtle Beach on Saturday. By Monday Irma could be impacting the area. How much wind would you be comfortable staying in? I have never been in a hurricane or even around the edges so I am trying to plan ahead with several options and when to pull the leave trigger.

Thanks,

Mike
All depends on your direction of travel verses that of the wind. Also the gusts are more important than the sustained value. Best advice I have is slow down and go with what you feel on the wheel. Watch out for open areas, sudden exposures to the wind while exiting overpasses and tunnels and turns into the wind. We've been known to alter our route to a longer one just to avoid crosswinds.
Wandermuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:18 PM   #16

It's kind of a dead horse. The OP isn't going and Myrtle Beach has been evacuated

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote