Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-06-2018, 04:34 PM   #1

Seneca inverter

I'm confused about my inverter. How can I tell if it's on or off?
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:40 PM   #2

There "should be" a switch someplace with a small indicator panel. It used to be in the Power Center on.older units.
Old 06-06-2018, 06:30 PM   #3
MD3

The invertor should be powering your microwave and tv's. If any of these have power when you are unplugged from shore power and generator is off.... then the invertor is on.

The invertor panel should be showing a code indicating if it is on or not... If I remember right mine has 4 different settings (codes) for power on/off/modes. kinda confusing but the manual has a flow chart for programming... no easy way I've found to turn it off and on.

_
2005 LJ Rubicon - Sahara #90
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
2009 ATC enclosed trailer
MD3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD3 View Post
no easy way I've found to turn it off and on.
No push button on the front?
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:58 PM   #5

First, what year Seneca and inverter are we dealing with? On my 2018.5 with the Magnum Dimensions system, it depends on the setting you have set on the panel. On mine, there are PS0, PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 settings and all change the way the system works. I received my Seneca with it set on PS1 which has worked fine as I store plugged in to shore power but changed it to PS4 to give me the same function as PS1 and being blue to switch the system off and on as needed. Here are some pics of the settings and how to change them.
Attached Thumbnails
453B80BE-50AB-476F-AB88-9388F4D3A09E.png   16BE8065-D2B2-46E0-87E4-47D2B7E1F78C.png   527FBC92-F930-4D5A-A996-7675836D5833.jpg  

Rustynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:46 PM   #6

Quote:
The invertor should be powering your microwave and tv's. If any of these have power when you are unplugged from shore power and generator is off.... then the invertor is on.

The invertor panel should be showing a code indicating if it is on or not... If I remember right mine has 4 different settings (codes) for power on/off/modes. kinda confusing but the manual has a flow chart for programming... no easy way I've found to turn it off and on.

_
If you program to PS4 setting, you can turn it off and on as needed.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:53 PM   #7
MD3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
If you program to PS4 setting, you can turn it off and on as needed.
My concern is I need to turn it off and on when I plug in or unplug each time, in PS4.
I like that in PS1 automatically detects AC power and by passes the invertor with AC power present.

It would appear in PS4 the invertor would power everything, as long as it is on, even if I was plugged in.

Maybe I’m over complicating it or misunderstanding.
In a perfect world it would have one button on/off in PS1.

-
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
Old 06-06-2018, 11:47 PM   #8

I just switched mine from PS1 to PS4 after reading the original post. But after reading your reply, I tested and realized that the inverter powered outlets now have no power when connected to shore power unless the inverter is on. I finally found the correct manual online and the supplement for the -HX model that we have. I found that in PS1 bypass mode the AC is passed through the inverter by an internal relay. I have emailed Magnum asking if in PS1 bypass mode if the inverter needs to be turned off when in storage and connected to shore power like I do, of if it should be turned off. I will post what they say.
Attached Thumbnails
E36009F7-8345-4E6C-B907-2E306C18E60D.jpg  

Old 06-07-2018, 05:58 AM   #9

Another inverter question....It has been stated that the inverter powers the tv and microwave ,does it power the refrigerator also.I don't think it does but would'nt it be nice if it did while traveling and thus having the batteries supplying the power while the engine is charging them,saving on propane.
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:14 AM   #10

The "Inverter" is definitely one of the least understood options we have on our unit. We've only used it a couple of times and really don't care for it being on all the time, because it hides the fact we've lost power for some reason. Kinda like the generator automatically coming on, if you loose power, but without the sudden rumble and smell of exhaust.
I guess I like the "Keep It Simple" principal.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:16 AM   #11

Thanks for all the response. In my Winnebago the invertor switch says on or off, really simple. I would also like to power my fridge with ac while driving down the road. Since I don't drive and watch tv at the same time do you think it would be as simple as reversing these two connections?

I installed a residential fridge in my winne and that change alone made my wife a happy camper.
whporwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:18 AM   #12
MD3

Quote:
I just switched mine from PS1 to PS4 after reading the original post. But after reading your reply, I tested and realized that the inverter powered outlets now have no power when connected to shore power unless the inverter is on. I finally found the correct manual online and the supplement for the -HX model that we have. I found that in PS1 bypass mode the AC is passed through the inverter by an internal relay. I have emailed Magnum asking if in PS1 bypass mode if the inverter needs to be turned off when in storage and connected to shore power like I do, of if it should be turned off. I will post what they say.
I've been leaving my invertor alone. Leave it on PS1 all the time. Mostly because of ignorance and not understanding how it completely works, also ease of use.

I do use the main disconnect button/switch (by the entry steps) if I am parking it for more than a week (unplugged) to shut everything down. It also shuts down the invertor.

If I am connected to shore power (plugged) in then I leave the main disconnect on and the invertor is also on.

With the main disconnect shut down it does not effect the solar. It is a stand alone circuit and still maintains both sets of batteries.

_
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
Old 06-07-2018, 08:24 AM   #13
MD3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whporwil View Post
Thanks for all the response. In my Winnebago the invertor switch says on or off, really simple. I would also like to power my fridge with ac while driving down the road. Since I don't drive and watch tv at the same time do you think it would be as simple as reversing these two connections?

I installed a residential fridge in my winne and that change alone made my wife a happy camper.

I think the fridge would be more beneficial than the microwave to be on the invertor.... I wonder if switching wiring at the breakers (provided they are the same size breaker) would allow a person to accomplish this. Throw some solar on the roof and never have to run the fridge off propane again.

I don't know enough about the how the circuits are wired but it seems simple enough to explore this as a maybe option.

_
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
Old 06-25-2018, 10:56 PM   #14

Ok, finally getting some answers on the inverter. I am not sure what years of Senecas this will apply to but I am dealing with a 2018.5 with a Magnum Dimensions CWS2012-HX that is installed in my Seneca. I had set mine to PS4 so I could easily turn it off and on, but you lose the bypass feature but when I switched it to PS4, I still couldn’t turn it off with the power button so I switched it back to PS1 and left it. So I finally emailed Magnum Dimensions about it and they said the best setting is PS1 and just turn off when not in use.....I replied that I couldn’t. Magnum Dimensions replied that you can but if there are wires plugging into the Ignition Port that it disables the power button on the remote panel. So sure enough there are 2 wires plugged into the ignition port on my inverter and if I unplug this wire, I can go in and turn off the inverter using the power button in the PS1 setting! Now I am waiting for a reply about why Jayco has Wiring to the ignition port but reading online it is usually done to prevent 120volt items from being run while driving, mainly tv’s within view of the driver. I thought it might be to disable the microwave while the vehicle was moving, but I tested that and the microwave still works with the wire plugged into the ignition port. It’s to late tonight but tomorrow I will try and trace these blue wires to see where they go, if I can’t then I will see if Jayco can tell me what’s up with them. I will post more as I find out.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:17 AM   #15
MD3

Nice !!
I need to look into this.
Any pics of what the the ignition port wires you unplugged ?
I’d like a simple one touch on/off capability.
Also wonder what the point of the ignition wires are if they aren’t actually controlling anything on the invertor....

-
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
Old 06-26-2018, 08:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Nice !!
I need to look into this.
Any pics of what the the ignition port wires you unplugged ?
I’d like a simple one touch on/off capability.
Also wonder what the point of the ignition wires are if they aren’t actually controlling anything on the invertor....

-

I am awaiting emails from Magnum Dinmensions and Jayco about this. I asked for Wiring Diagrams of the Inverter System, we'll see if I get them.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:45 PM   #17

Quote:
First, what year Seneca and inverter are we dealing with? On my 2018.5 with the Magnum Dimensions system, it depends on the setting you have set on the panel. On mine, there are PS0, PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 settings and all change the way the system works. I received my Seneca with it set on PS1 which has worked fine as I store plugged in to shore power but changed it to PS4 to give me the same function as PS1 and being blue to switch the system off and on as needed. Here are some pics of the settings and how to change them.

That seems easy enough!! Thank you for sharing!!
Stargazerandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:27 PM   #18

Upadate, here is the information I got from Magnum Dimensions tech support..

“The ignition port is used to turn the inverter on and off with a 12 volt signal. I am not sure what the coach manufacture has yours connected to possibly you battery on off switch or another on off switch.”

I did get wiring diagrams from Jayco today but they are not the correct ones, they sent the battery compartment wiring which shows the inverter but only the battery connections.

So, I break out the voltmeter and test the terminal the 2 blue wires are crimped into. I was surprised to find out they are 12 volt hot all the time, with the ignition off or on, with motor running or off. So I started tracing the wires following the split loom and the 2 blue wires supply 12 volt hot to the compartment lights So I have no idea why this is wired like this as all it does is disable the power button on the remote panel inside giving you the ability to easily turn the inverter off. With this wire removed from the ignition port on the inverter, everything works like it should and for me, I am leaving it unplugged! I have replied to Jayco asking for the complete inverter Wiring Diagram to see what it shows.....

The tech from Magnum Dimensions did send me the proper manual for the CWS2012-HX inverter and the addendum specifically for the HX model and I have attached them here if anybody wants them.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:44 PM   #19
MD3

With the blue wires to the ignition port unplugged will the main power disconnect for the coach shut off the invertor or does it stay on ?
Wondering if why it’s wired this way so the invertor is shut off when the main disconnect is shut off...... just a wild guess.

(Mine is at the dealer or I’d go try it myself)

-
2019 Can Am X3 XRS Max
Old 06-26-2018, 11:21 PM   #20

I’ll test that tomorrow and see.