Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2020, 07:47 AM   #1

Seneca Inverter problem

Only two of my outlets work. The 20A output breaker on inverter appears okay but not sure. It will not press in. Plugged in to 50 amp with no other power issues. Inverter Display amber and green, 12.4, S1A, 000. Are there any obvious things to look for?
EdwardOrmsbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:44 PM   #2

The fridge will only run on LP too. Ed
Old 09-09-2020, 08:55 PM   #3

Somehow my first message disappeared!

Only two outlets work? They may be inverter outlets fed by the battery. Usually the refrigerator is not on the inverter except for the newer units with a residential refrigerator.

Have you double checked (and cycled) the breakers at the pedestal and in the power center? If you start the generator does anything change?
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 06:12 AM   #4

Which two outlets work?. Does the microwave have power?. Need a little more information to help trouble shoot.

In general power to microwave outlet and TVs is routed through the inverters on on newer units. Power to kitchen and bath outlets is routed through the gfi breaker in the sub panel. Tv power is run through an ignition solenoid and will not operate when engine is running.

If on 50 amp service and no power to outlet not mentioned above then either there is power issue at plug, or transfer switch is defaulting on generator. Or a popped breaker in panel. Cycle the breakers to fully reset them.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardOrmsbee View Post
Only two of my outlets work. The 20A output breaker on inverter appears okay but not sure. It will not press in. Plugged in to 50 amp with no other power issues. Inverter Display amber and green, 12.4, S1A, 000. Are there any obvious things to look for?
On my '20 HJ, the only outlets that work off the inverter is the microwave, main cabin tv, an outlet under the dinette and the residential fridge. All others are only powered with the genset or plugged into shore power.
2010 Jeep Wrangler - TOAD
Wandrews530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
Somehow my first message disappeared!

Only two outlets work? They may be inverter outlets fed by the battery. Usually the refrigerator is not on the inverter except for the newer units with a residential refrigerator.

Have you double checked (and cycled) the breakers at the pedestal and in the power center? If you start the generator does anything change?
There are 4 breakers on a panel under the bed but I didn’t check the other panel under the bed. Is that the power center? I ran the generator with no change. Thanks
Old 09-10-2020, 09:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardOrmsbee View Post
There are 4 breakers on a panel under the bed but I didn’t check the other panel under the bed. Is that the power center? I ran the generator with no change. Thanks
Yes, the other panel should contain your main breaker (50-amp, double pole) as well as other breakers for your air conditioners, other wall outlets, converter, etc. It will also have all your 12-volt fuses for lighting, water pump, furnace, etc.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:06 PM   #8

Thanks all. As always, your input has been very helpful. So far, it appears there have been two issues, which complicated matters, one was the park power and the other was the inverter. i also had help from Jayco support, and his conclusion is that the inverter has gone belly up or the fuse just needs reset. i can't reset the fuse so a new inverter may be in order. i will be starting home tomorrow and next week i will drop it off at the shop. Thanks again. Ed
Old 09-10-2020, 05:26 PM   #9

You can instantly tell if your inverter works or not. All that is required is a simple multimeter. In my opinion this is a required tool for all RVers!

To test an inverter first measure the 12 volt DC input right at the terminal connections on the inverter. If that is good, turn the inverter on and you should measure 120 volts AC at the output. If that is there your problem is not the inverter. If no output, turn it off and check the fuses on it with the meter set to ohms.

Since you didn't mention what rig or inverter you have, it is hard to get into specifics. My 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter has a duplex outlet on it that has a GFI breaker on the outlet. If yours has a GFI reset button, press it. Mine trips every once in awhile and kills the output.

In my Greyhawk the inverter only powers the outlet for the front and bedroom TVs. Not sure what you are expecting to be powered by the inverter but it will not be all of the outlets.

Do you have any owner's manual showing what should be powered by the inverter? In any event, ALL outlets should be powered when plugged into shore power or runny the generator. Once again, a test meter will tell you everything.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:59 PM   #10

Unhappy conclusion

I got the Seneca back yesterday and thought someone might find the conclusion useful. It was the Power Center, complete "Meltdown", and they weren't able to guess what happened to it. However, it had to be replaced, which set me back nearly $1200. Ouch.

Thanks all for your help.

Ed