Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-19-2020, 04:36 PM   #1

Seneca Slide Topper Fix

The canvas pulled out of the channel on the slide topper of my 2016 Seneca. How on earth do I fix this? Looks like the entire roller unit has to be removed and slide the canvas back into the channel???

Thanks,
Tod
Attached Thumbnails
topper.jpg  
Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:40 PM   #2

I would look up a Mobile service dealer for Carefree... that is more work than I would want to tackle on my own.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona View Post
The canvas pulled out of the channel on the slide topper of my 2016 Seneca. How on earth do I fix this? Looks like the entire roller unit has to be removed and slide the canvas back into the channel???

Thanks,

Tod
It is likely the thread has rotted out and the "bead" is still in the channel. Tough Top Awnings has YouTube videos on how to replace topper. Happened on our 2014 37ts.
Dana
Dananu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:01 PM   #4

It can be done, but you need 2 people. Here's a brief synopsis:

Take metal cover off, open the slide partially, use a couple long cotter keys to lock the roller tube, (there are holes in the end caps for that purpose and you may need to turn roller more to align the holes which will also relieve tension on fabric) remove rear bracket, slide topper rear ward to pull piping out of track, reinsert piping , slide back forward install bracket. open slide till almost taught, remove cotter pins.

If you don't pin the roller the springs will unwind and then you have a mess. When you insert the cotter key it goes thru both sides the cap and shaft which keeps the spring from unwinding. It may take a a little work to get everything lined up.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
It can be done, but you need 2 people. Here's a brief synopsis:

Take metal cover off, open the slide partially, use a couple long cotter keys to lock the roller tube, (there are holes in the end caps for that purpose and you may need to turn roller more to align the holes which will also relieve tension on fabric) remove rear bracket, slide topper rear ward to pull piping out of track, reinsert piping , slide back forward install bracket. open slide till almost taught, remove cotter pins.

If you don't pin the roller the springs will unwind and then you have a mess. When you insert the cotter key it goes thru both sides the cap and shaft which keeps the spring from unwinding. It may take a a little work to get everything lined up.
yep.... have watched it being done to my Seneca... Two factory trained technicians who were strong guys, two tall 10Ft Ladders, two sets of hand tools that included locktite, silicone lube and other stuff that they both needed on each side, parts in their truck they needed and 30 minutes of my time moving the slide in/out for them to get it tensioned first, then adjusted
to close and retract just right. It's gonna be only an emergency repair for an owner without the right knowledge / tools.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:23 PM   #6

I replaced one of the slide toppers on my seneca. I purchased it from Tough Tops.
As Grumpy mentioned move your slide out (I moved mine about 10") Open the cover, pull the topper fabric out and lock the roller at the front of the slide (Tough tops sells a locking oil filter wrench) Harbor Freight also sells one for $9.00
Follow the instructions on Tough Tops including measuring the tube for the new fabric.
Dont be afraid to use silicon spray lube liberally.
It took my buddy and I 30 minutes to install.
PM me if you need more information.
Carjunkie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:56 PM   #7

I would caution you, I had to remove my topper and didn't pin the roller. It roller uncoiled and almost broke my fingers. The spring is under immense pressure and I cannot over emphasize to remember to use the cotter pins. Just my two cents!

"Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God." Matthew 5:9
LaMigra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:27 AM   #8

Here's a video. I've replaced both of my slide toppers by myself. Not very hard at all.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote