Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-30-2014, 04:36 PM   #1

tow vehicle with 2015 Greyhawk

I have a 2015 Greyhawk 31FK and want to tow a 2015 Chevy Equinox. I got a supply and install price from a local hitch installer of $1700.00. This includes the installation of a blue ox system. My question is does this price sound fair and, the vendor stated that brakes are not required thhat the 31FK is the braking system and that additional braking from the TV is not required. Is that true of must the TV requires have its own braking ? The TV weighs less than 5000 pounds. Any comments and suggestions are appreciated.

snipe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:45 PM   #2

I definitely would not go without a supplemental braking system (Brake Buddy or similar). Also which towbar did they quote you, that has an effect on the overall price.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:18 PM   #3

Most states and provinces have brake requirements for towed loads over 3000 lbs. I would not want to try braking the RV with a full size SUV in tow.

What does the Equinox weigh?

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:19 PM   #4

Grumpy, thanks for the response. Not sure of the type of tow bar but the price of it was $729. I will have to check on the make. I thought that I would need brakes on the TV but wasn't sure. I feel that the Grayhawk is a little stingy when it comes to braking.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:43 PM   #5

The curb weight if a 2015 Equinox is 3777 pounds.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipe22 View Post
Grumpy, thanks for the response. Not sure of the type of tow bar but the price of it was $729. I will have to check on the make. I thought that I would need brakes on the TV but wasn't sure. I feel that the Grayhawk is a little stingy when it comes to braking.
I use a Brake Buddy now with the SENECA and if I tow without it you can feel the difference. The reason that they also probably told you it wasn't necessary is New York doesn't have any brake requirement for towing a car, just a trailer.

As to the price, with most dealerships getting $100 and hour or more it is probably inline with the work they have to do if it includes wiring.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipe22 View Post
the vendor stated that brakes are not required that the 31FK is the braking system and that additional braking from the TV is not required. Is that true of must the TV requires have its own braking ? The TV weighs less than 5000 pounds. Any comments and suggestions are appreciated.
I would NOT tow without a supplemental braking system. Going down 6% grades in the Western USA the supplemental brakes on the Jeep help immensely when controlling downhill speed. Not to mention coming to emergency stop with an additional few thousand pounds on the back of your MH. The lawyers would have a field day with your insurance in the event of a wreck.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I definitely would not go without a supplemental braking system (Brake Buddy or similar). Also which towbar did they quote you, that has an effect on the overall price.
X2. Your braking system is built for your RV GVWR not GCWR
'13 Wrangler Sahara...AKAFUN
Roadmaster base plate
Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combo
D&MAKAFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:55 PM   #9

3,777# toad should tow fine. I would use a braking system, and yes, many states require if over 3,000#. I think you are getting a good price at $1,700. My price was slightly over $4k, for Roadmaster Falcon II, base plates and wiring on the toad, brake buddy, and Roadmaster tow defender, all installed.
Bluesky46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:34 PM   #10

In addition to the safety factor, it makes economic sense to have a brake on the toad. Something has to stop it. The MH brakes have to do extra work if the toad brakes aren't used.

We used the Unified Tow brake and thought it was excellent. I would use a vacuum assist type again if we flat towed in the future. Blue Ox still had there's in the design phase when we bought ours. I don't know if they're selling theirs yet, but I would give it a look if I were buying.

They all work, and the price you were quoted is in the ball park. Some dealers are much better than other when it comes to supplemental brakes. Also, some towing companies have a good reputation for installing toad brakes.

OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote