Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2019, 04:22 PM   #21

Unhappy craftsmanship

I enjoyed reading all you're Jayco problems. I have experienced most of them myself.
Most recent was; on our return from a month in Florida in our Jayco SENECA, our last stop for the night before getting back home, we pulled into a campground, pushed the button to engage the leveling system. The two front jacks went down followed by the two back jacks, which went half way down and stopped. None of the jack wound go up or down at that point. After an hour of climbing all over and under the unit in the rain and cold, I called for help from that Coachnet Assistance. A technician came out and ran a direct feed to the pump motor to get the jacks up for me so we could get home the next morning.
I've posted this story before along with an electrical fire we experienced in the outside entertainment center.
This unit looks like it was wired by a group of 10 year old kids. In fact, the unit has been in the shop trying to fix the jack system and slide out adjustments going on three weeks now.
Jayco use to be noted for their craftsmanship. You can't prove that by me.
South Jersey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:11 PM   #22

We've had our 2016 31DS for 2.5 years and have used it for 3 winters away. We have had very few issues and feel we are one lucky couple! I added photographers light film to all the overhead lights to take some of the glare off. We replaced all non LED lights with LED's, except the exterior door light fixture which we had to replace in its entirety this winter. The 12v hot bulb in there had melted the back of the fixture! Also this winter we replaced the outdoor speakers..found a loose wire connection which hadn't been an issue one day and the next it was. The drawer under the oven was hitting the wires so we moved those and fixed them into a better spot. Got better speakers anyway. Our next project is to replace the non-motorized side of the awning. The part that rotates snapped. It's a simple repair and not costly at around $50. I will be replacing the bathroom sink faucet as it's too low and gets in the way. Small issues for a "hurricane on wheels".
2017 Lhasa Apso/Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
Lakeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:24 PM   #23
Site Team

Modern rv's have a huge amount of things that can and do go wrong compared to your grand dads rv, which was a simple piece of equipment that served the purpose of getting him out camping without feeling that he wasn't leaving anything at home as we do now.

The more complicated the equipment, the more problems are apt to happen.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:17 PM   #24

I sure don't want to come off as an authority in the RV world. I love to add my thoughts on the problems of newer RVs. I was told by a very nice dealer not to buy a new RV. Anything newer than 2009-2010 was built by an inferior work force. After the RV business was slammed by the last recession Thor industries and Warren Buffet stepped in and bought RV builders for pennies on the dollar. Buffet especially is a predator in the business world. **** can the talented workers who know what they are doing but making too much money for the bottom line. I love the example of the 110 breaker panel that has both roof top ACs energized off the same 110 leg. Skip a space not two. Call this my RV world rant but I have seen so many problems that have nothing to do with too many systems bouncing down the road. If they were done with a small amount of skill they would serve their intended purpose flawlessly.
Capt. Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:31 PM   #25

Our 2015 Greyhawk 29MV....i believe the heat pump doesn't like temps colder than 30 degrees, just use the furnace at that point....always tweek the Bigfoot levelers with the emergency up before we hit the road after using them, per manufacturer recommendation, haven't heard the alarm since....we do hear some slight knocking from the Girard tankless heater once in a while when NOT in use, no answers from anybody, but will try the heat setting for more consistent temp during showers, and leave the cold off, thanks for that! Have had a couple of the rollers from the front slide mechanism come off under the dinette, not covered under warranty as considered a fastener! Keyless entry mechanism really sucks up the batteries, thinking of just using the key! Also might upgrade the water pump, very noisy, and difference in pressure between bathroom (lower) and kitchen faucet, have cleaned filter at pump and faucet screens. Happy campers non the less!
Jamnpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:49 PM   #26

Yeah, the keyless entry thing is a joke, just like the tank heating pads...quit that thing early on.

One of my jacks never retracts fully, like you said the emergency retract fixes that.
The original Bigfoot controller (Digital Box)went haywire, they sent me a new one for just postage cost, works fine ever since..I have learned to fix most of the small stuff, it's a learning curve..
Old 04-20-2019, 10:58 AM   #27

I bought a brand new 2018 Jayco Jayflight SLX towable last May and have been on the road since July. I often ask, "So what else can go wrong?" In all fairness, the dealer repaired/replaced my long list of fix-its when I went home for Christmas. (Fresh water tank incorrectly installed, furnace quit, water heater went out 3 times, etc!) I honestly expected more reliability. One benefit: I've developed a whole new skill set for maintaining/repairing stuff!
Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote