Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2020, 05:01 PM   #1

Yet Another Seneca Weight/Tire Pressure Post

Just would like some thoughts from people on my recent findings or what kind of tire pressure for the weights you are running.
I have a 2018 M2 TS model and have weighed it a few times and usually in the 24k for total weight. My most recent trip I was at 8311 lbs on front and 15,168 on the rear for a total of 23,478lbs. This is with empty holding tanks, 1/2 tank of fuel and 1/2 tank of water.
It wasn’t busy at the scales so for the first time I was able to loop around and weight only the right side of the M/H to try and get a idea on the weight of each corner in hopes that I could fine tune the tire pressure’s.
As for the results, the front axle is pretty close for equal weight distribution with the left side heavier by 155 lbs. @ 4233 lbs. I was a little surprised by the the results for the rear axle though. It turns out that the left side @ 8113 lbs is 1058 lbs heavier than the right side.
I had already figured that with all six batteries, fridge, 50amp cable, the wet bay, generator and the hot water system all on the the left it would be heavier, so I have very little in the left side storage compartments and the right side compartments are stuffed full. Not sure what other people have done with their TS models to try and even the weight out on the rear axle or whether it’s even a issue?
So this where I come to address the proper air pressure for the weights I have. I have normally run 95psi front and rear.
Using the heavy side for the front @ 4233 lbs plus 10% safety = 4656 lbs
Using the heavy side for the rear @ 8113 lbs plus 10% safety = 8924 lbs
If I go by the Michelin RV tire guide using the listed weights closest to mine the pressures are : 75psi for the fronts and 80 psi for the rears. These seem awfully low to me?
If I look at my rear axle weight plus the 10% safety built in at almost 9000 lbs, that’s haft of the gross rear axle weight rating. So according to the yellow placard on the drivers door I should be running the rears at 110psi.
So what are the thoughts and what pressures are you running and are you getting the same uneven weights on your rear axle.

Thanks Bruce
Old 07-26-2020, 05:31 PM   #2

I have similar weights and are running 85psi front and rear. comments should be interesting
2010 Toyota Tundra toad
Oma/opa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 05:44 PM   #3

My 2020 37TS weighted in at 26,340 with 8420 front and 17,920 rear. The Michelin tables seemed low to me so I dropped my pressures from 110 (set by the dealer) to 100PSI front and rear. The ride is a little smoother at this pressure and then has not been a concern with TPMS registered temps on trips of a couple hundred miles.

I have a 400 plus mile trip to Middlebury in a couple weeks so I'll see how this pressure rides on the long haul.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:54 PM   #4

Dave, please provide an update how your trip goes.
Fishman417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishman417 View Post
Dave, please provide an update how your trip goes.
Will do. Taking the coach to Jayco for a slide adjustment and repainting graphics. It will be there for a couple of weeks.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:31 PM   #6

We run 90-95 in the steers and 100 in the drives. Yes, we can run lower if we wanted.
Attached Thumbnails
TirepressureChartImage.JPG  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ScaleTicket20180613.pdf (232.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: pdf ScaleTicket20171111.pdf (232.9 KB, 13 views)
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:51 PM   #7

So a bit of an update where I’m at now. I went and spoke with a local Michelin commercial truck tire dealer today. I explained to him which Michelin tires I had, and the weights of the axles and when I started talking about the Michelin RV tire Guide and what pressures they were listing for my weights he was already shaking his NO! before I even finished the sentence. I agreed with him that the pressures listed seem awfully low and that’s why I was in to see him. He went on to say with the pressures listed there would be way too much sidewall flex creating a lot of heat and premature tire wear. He went on to say although very family with the RV Tire Guide he can not figure out where Michelin is coming from with those pressures listed.
Anyways long story short he recommended 100 psi front and rear. The 95psi that I’ve been running is ok but if the unit was in the shop for any kind of tire work it would be leaving with 100psi front and rear.
So I am thinking on staying with my 95 psi all the way around or maybe bumping it up a bit

I am wondering if any one else has done a four corner weigh in and what kind of difference they had in the rear axle side to side?

Bruce
Old 07-28-2020, 08:45 AM   #8

I agree with Bruceter. I had a similar experience. Luckily Michelin is giving me a partial warranty on my tires because of it. Last year I started noticing some cracking on my sidewalls. Not huge, but not normal. Just like others have, I was using the tire pressure guide provided by Michelin. I was running around 88 PSI. Last year before a long trip, I took it by a TA station and they told me the tires were ok, I went on my way and did not have any issues. This year the tires looked worse. I decided to take it to Bill Williams tire who quickly looked at it and said dont plan on going anywhere, those are dangerous. I told them about my pressures, and they said the same thing...you are low. Two reasons behind this...we normally keep our tires much longer than the standard truck. You can run at lower pressure if you are constantly moving those tires. You will more than likely replace them before the cracking starts happening. Second, because we sit, the section of sidewall between the wheel and ground will bulge a little more...especially if we are lower on pressure. This can cause the cracking if it sits like this for too long. Now because I was still in the warranty period of the tires and I was actually following their pressure guide, they did warranty them, but I was told to run higher from now on. I think my new set that Bill Williams put on is running at 105 PSI.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyRoRyan View Post
I agree with Bruceter. I had a similar experience. Luckily Michelin is giving me a partial warranty on my tires because of it. Last year I started noticing some cracking on my sidewalls. Not huge, but not normal. Just like others have, I was using the tire pressure guide provided by Michelin. I was running around 88 PSI. Last year before a long trip, I took it by a TA station and they told me the tires were ok, I went on my way and did not have any issues. This year the tires looked worse. I decided to take it to Bill Williams tire who quickly looked at it and said dont plan on going anywhere, those are dangerous. I told them about my pressures, and they said the same thing...you are low. Two reasons behind this...we normally keep our tires much longer than the standard truck. You can run at lower pressure if you are constantly moving those tires. You will more than likely replace them before the cracking starts happening. Second, because we sit, the section of sidewall between the wheel and ground will bulge a little more...especially if we are lower on pressure. This can cause the cracking if it sits like this for too long. Now because I was still in the warranty period of the tires and I was actually following their pressure guide, they did warranty them, but I was told to run higher from now on. I think my new set that Bill Williams put on is running at 105 PSI.

Interesting, thanks for that feed back.
We are leaving for a trip tomorrow and after giving it a bit more thought I went out this morning and bumped all tires up 100psi. If we don’t notice much difference in ride quality I’ll just leave them at 100psi
Old 06-10-2022, 09:23 AM   #10

I've been pondering the same thing. Didn't have a chance yet to do a four point weight check but did front and back...8440 on steer and 17880 on drives..26320 total. This was full fuel tank and no on board water and all black/ gray tanks empty. I've dropped my pressure to 100 all around...I think I'll just keep it there...
2004 Jeep Liberty
TheNextChapter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 09:02 AM   #11

On my 37K the water tank is offset to the right side. I generally keep it full, one reason is to even out the weight in the rear. I know it’s only 500 lbs or so, but I feel better…
I also load the basement storage heavy on the right side. The bales of paper towels and toilet paper go on the left side.
100 psi for me. This rig rides so much better than the old F53, I don’t try to make it any better.
Firewrench is offline   Reply With Quote