Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-04-2020, 09:10 AM   #1

2018 377RLBH - Furnace replacement options

Since purchasing our 377RLBH in Jan 2018 we have had the furnace fail at least 5 times. Circuit boards were replaced 3 times (we were told there was a bad batch) and the most recent time the reset switch was replaced.

Currently in NC and it was 34 last night. Furnace runs some of the time but we've awoken the past two nights with it cold in the rig (below the thermostat setting) and the furnace not running. Propane checked and ok. Resetting the thermostat has worked all but one time. Don't know why it isn't starting without my assistance.

My question is: Has anyone replaced their furnace and with what model. I am ready to tear it out and throw it in the landfill.

Thanks
bartowham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 11:06 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Just putting in another furnace does not necessarily solve the problem. Dinosaur boards are of better quality. Another problem is the electronic boards should be away from heat and moist area's.
Another mfg. problem is they don't install access doors on the outside for servicing, which makes it much more difficult and bench testing occurs by removal.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 11:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Another mfg. problem is they don't install access doors on the outside for servicing, which makes it much more difficult and bench testing occurs by removal.

Sure is. I've thought about cutting a hole on the outside and installing a door and a tray.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:02 PM   #4

Are the most recent problems maybe thermostat problems?
Hate to see you throw the baby out with the bath water..

Not many brand options available, and just another model of the same brand may have occasional issues also.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
Are the most recent problems maybe thermostat problems?
Let me describe the problems and hopefully you can tell me if it sounds like a thermostat issue.

Go to bed and the furnace is running. It'll cycle off/on several times without issue. I wake up in the middle of the night and it's cold....

1 Temp in the rig (and on the thermostat) are below the "minimum" temp for the furnace so it should be running. I cycle thermostat to off, let it reset, and then back to heat. The furnace comes on and runs normally.

2 Temp in the rig (and on the thermostat) are below the "minimum" temp for the furnace so it should be running. Cycle as above, furnace blower comes on for 15+/- seconds and turns off (as if I am out of propane - but I am not). repeat a couple times and it runs normally.

3 Temp in the rig (and on the thermostat) are below the "minimum" temp for the furnace so it should be running. I find the furnace blower running but no heat. I cycle off/on and it runs normally.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Gary
Old 04-04-2020, 06:23 PM   #6

Might it be an intermittent ignition failure? There might be a partial obstruction in the burner tube or the spark is marginal or a bit too far from the gas ports. Do you have insect screens installed?

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:01 PM   #7
Site Team

The 15 second, or so, fan run is the burner purge. That will happen every time it wants to light up. There's a chance it may need a new circuit board, or thermostat.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 12:42 AM   #8

I certainly think you should change thermostats before replacing the furnace.
Lots of people have reported similar problems with your furnace, one part or another, circuit boards go out, sail switches fail, I’m sure you’ll get lots of suggestions. Replace a part, and hope all is good.
Just as many people complain about the thermostats, they replace them and everything is fine.
You could also have problems with the regulator on the propane tanks.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Might it be an intermittent ignition failure? There might be a partial obstruction in the burner tube or the spark is marginal or a bit too far from the gas ports. Do you have insect screens installed?

I don't have screens installed, but I checked out the exhaust and there's no sign of any blockage. It's has now gone from intermittent to 100% fail.

I'm going to empty the basement and flip the reset switch. That was the last part replaced by Camping World.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:36 AM   #10

Thank you all for your assistance. I have come to the conclusion it is a dirty sail switch. Now to pull the darned thing out and clean it. Oh joy.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:05 AM   #11

Could be thermocouple on the gas valve.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:45 PM   #12

2020 later model north point and Pinnacle have access door now
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:46 PM   #13

The next time your furnace starts and doesn't ignite go outside and shut off the propane and disconnect the lines from the bottles. Reconnect, turn on bottles and see if it lights. I had the same problem as you described. I had read somewhere of someone having a stuck valve in a bottle and that is how it was resolved. It worked for me just a few weeks ago. No problem since.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:06 PM   #14

It’s probably your sail switch
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by skijlw View Post
The next time your furnace starts and doesn't ignite go outside and shut off the propane and disconnect the lines from the bottles. Reconnect, turn on bottles and see if it lights. I had the same problem as you described. I had read somewhere of someone having a stuck valve in a bottle and that is how it was resolved. It worked for me just a few weeks ago. No problem since.
We’ve had this problem several times, replaced the thermostat without fixing it. The sail switch is being replace under warranty right now, but I will try your suggestion if I have this problem again.

Had the furnace fail on a weekend trip this winter. Forecast low of 26 degrees and had the grandkids with us. Fortunately, because of the problem I had been having, I purchased an inexpensive (under $40 at Costco) space heater. The space heater had no problem keeping our large trailer (31QBDS) reasonably comfortable, especially since we like it cool overnight.

I have used the heater in weather just around freezing since and it has done well for us. Quiet and very nice heat. We think we like it better than the furnace and blower. Might just get another to have one in front and one in back and be done with it.

We live in SC and do very little cold weather camping. This obviously is not the answer for serious and prolonged cold.
RKHengst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:24 PM   #16

We've had our 2018 eagle for over a year-and-a-half now. And the only issue that we've had with this unit has been the furnace . We have had all of the issues that you described. Fan motor would start up but wouldn't ignite turned out to be the control board. Purchased a dinosaur board and had zero problems so far. Then after a couple months it would start up and then shut down. Gas regulator was the culprit then. Lasted for a couple more months then the unit would start, ignight and run, then it would just shut off mid cycle. That turned out to be the limit switch. The sail switch has never failed. I spoke to a repair man, he stated that the sails hardly ever go out, and that i've pretty much replaced everything to goes out on these hydro flame units. It's been purring like a kitten for the last three months. Good luck.
qs271a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 01:39 PM   #17

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Even for the RV tech it can be pain to remove the furnace and bench test them. In our homes we don't get away with hiding a furnace for poor access. The RV furnace are reliable when everything is adjusted proper. The auxiliary parts can fail but do seldom. If the control-board was installed away from the furnace is even better (similar if they would do that on home furnaces). Heat and water doesn't go along with electronics.
As a Tech: No Door - No Service. If a tech has to remove a furnace from the basement between duct and waterlines, who's looking forward to this. Then bench test for a small adjustment and re-install, the RV owner has to pay the bill or under warranty the RV shop gets under paid for his labor. Just so the RV mfg. can save on a $25 access door.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 01:58 PM   #18

Lost the furnace three times in two winters. Two for control board, one for sail switch. While the furnace was out (no door) I noticed that the side where the control board was located sat directly on top of the sheet of particle board where it was mounted. No airflow to that board. No wonder it overheated. Try cutting a hole under where to control board is to allow airflow.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 05:46 PM   #19

If we are "plugged in", we never use the gas furnace. We are paying for electricity hookup, so why not use it.
Old 04-26-2020, 04:53 PM   #20

Also check the propane line from the tank to the regulator. We had a furnace that was only able to start on one of the two propane tanks due to a clogged gas line. Replaced the clogged line and the furnace issues disappeared.
dkelly54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
377rlbh, atwood, furnace