Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-04-2017, 07:49 AM   #1

AC and Generator with Fridge Questions

We are beginning to consider upgrading from the 28 BHBE to the 37 RLBH. I have a couple of questions about the AC and Generator

I understand that the second AC is ducted. Are they both ducted together to where you can run one and distribute to the entire trailer or are they separate and you have to run both? The reason I ask is that we occasionally camp with only 30 amps available.

I think one of the hardest decisions is going to be about the residential fridge. Currently we are not paying for electricity for storage. We top off the battery before storing, have a small solar charger, and go camping about once a month to keep it fresh. The night before a trip, stop by and run the fridge on gas to pre-chill. I understand I won't be able to do that with the residential fridge, so that leaves me with buying power or running on Generator (also while dry camping which we do a couple of times a year). Will the Generator automatically start and stop as the batteries need it or will it just run all the time?
Jace817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:00 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace817 View Post
We are beginning to consider upgrading from the 28 BHBE to the 37 RLBH. I have a couple of questions about the AC and Generator

I understand that the second AC is ducted. Are they both ducted together to where you can run one and distribute to the entire trailer or are they separate and you have to run both? The reason I ask is that we occasionally camp with only 30 amps available.

I think one of the hardest decisions is going to be about the residential fridge. Currently we are not paying for electricity for storage. We top off the battery before storing, have a small solar charger, and go camping about once a month to keep it fresh. The night before a trip, stop by and run the fridge on gas to pre-chill. I understand I won't be able to do that with the residential fridge, so that leaves me with buying power or running on Generator (also while dry camping which we do a couple of times a year). Will the Generator automatically start and stop as the batteries need it or will it just run all the time?
Both of the a/c's are ducted together. When we are on 30 amps we run the main a/c during the day and switch to the unit in our bedroom sometimes, just to get it cooler in the master and switch back. The 2nd a/c has the ability to dump cold air directly from the unit into the room.

I have the residential fridge and power at my storage facility (but only use that power to keep batteries charged), but I typically tow the unit to the house a day or two before we leave to load up and fill the fridge. I plug into the house for power.

I don't have the generator, looking back, I wish I had at least purchased the prep package. The way I understand the generator is that you have to turn it on/off when needed. I doesn't just start up automatically.

Enjoy shopping and let us know how everything goes!
Old 07-04-2017, 08:05 AM   #3

Air conditioners are ducted together so you can run either and force cool air to entire camper. In hot weather one AC will struggle to keep it cool. We camped at a state park couple of weeks ago that only had 30amp and it struggled to keep it cool during the day but no issue at night.

Personal opinion is I would pass on the residential fridge. We do not have one but several other folks on here seem to have had issues with them. If camper was going to be on a permanent site, maybe otherwise stick with traditional rv frdige.

As far as generator, either way I would get the gen prep package, makes it much easier to install a onboard gen down the road for what ever reason. It does not start/start automatically to charge batteries, but I think Onan makes some type of automatic add on controller.

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

Jamie846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:20 AM   #4

Buying power will always always be more economical than a generator or using propane! I'd pick the fridge of your choice and pay for the power. It wouldn't be much. Than your fridge is always cold and the batteries always charged.

The above posts are correct on the AC units being ducted together.

The generator prep isn't expensive and always a wise investment. Jayco calls it a dry camping package. On my 2017 Eagle 293RKDS it was only a $1,042.00 option. Makes for plug and play but the tail pipe. If you don't end up installing a genset, the storage space is still there and the option adds value.

Yes, Onan does make an auto start control. It's several hundred dollars. I don't recall the price but between 250 to 500 I believe.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:54 PM   #5

Thanks for the help everyone. Good info!
Jace817 is offline   Reply With Quote