Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-11-2021, 07:50 PM   #1

Help! Dealer severely damaged our hitch!

We had some warranty work done on our 31MB to fix a wire that was not connected properly. We picked up the unit yesterday afternoon and today set off for a 7 day camping trip at Disney which is only about 20 minutes from our home. When my husband went to unhitch the truck he found the hitch completely twisted in the bed of his truck. It looks like a twisted tin can and is so badly damaged he can’t even unhook the truck from the rv. After inspecting the hitch he noticed two unfamiliar bolts in the orbital pin box. These bolts are not secured with nuts and he has never seen them there before. He suspects that the dealer used the bolts to keep the pin box from rotating as they moved the rv in the service area using a tractor or fork lift. A link to some photos of the damage and the bolts can be found here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/VGiq4QMc5Sopq9Dm9

We have left a message for the service manager to call us first thing in the morning, but we are really worried that this may have damaged both the rv and the truck in addition to the hitch. Would love to hear any advice or if anyone has ever experienced anything similar to this.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:02 PM   #2

I “remind” my dealer every time I get service to remember the orbital hitch
Old 04-11-2021, 08:06 PM   #3

chas111, so is this actually a common thing? We are veteran campers but newbies with the 5th Wheel.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:00 AM   #4

It happens
Buddy had a autoslider hitch and that requires a capture plate on king pin to work. Had electrical work done.
Dealer took capture plate off and did not put back on. Buddy didn't notice until he went to make a turn down the road. Yup trailer slammed into truck cab. Dealer paid for damages

It happens

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLButler3 View Post
chas111, so is this actually a common thing? We are veteran campers but newbies with the 5th Wheel.
My dealer did the same thing and I caught it as I was hitching up. The dealers really need to tie a big red ribbon to the hitch when they do this. Some random guy driving a forklift throws the bolts in to move it and then some other random guy brings back out to you sometimes months later. Pretty much no chance they are going to remember.
SickDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:29 AM   #6

Got a call from the service dept manager a few minutes ago. They are sending someone out to our campsite today to assess the damage, order parts and make repairs. My husband asked if he needed pictures and the response was "Nope. I pretty much know what happens when bolts are left in the pin box".
Lesson learned to always inspect the hitch after having service done!
Old 04-12-2021, 09:30 AM   #7

same thing

The dealership broke ours too. Towed it with a tractor with lockout bolts installed. They eventually replaced the entire orbital pinbox and now when we take it in, it has stickers on it warning about the wedge, we have a long talk with the service writer about it, and hopefully it won't happen again.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:33 AM   #8

Also- They should use the proper lockout bolts when they move it. If they just slip smaller bolts in there, they will mess up the threads when the unit bangs from side to side, then you won't be able to thread the lockout bolts the next time.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:13 AM   #9

Not good!

Not being familiar with this hitch. Can you point on the images where these extra bolts were placed.

DW and I are looking at new campers and a 5ver is on the list. Not sure what to keep an eye out for.

Thanks.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:22 AM   #10

Unfortunately it is really difficult to get pics uploaded to google from our wifi here at the campsite. I posted pics in the link on my first post but I realize you can't really see the bolts. It is the area where you put the lockout bolts. They didn't use proper lockout bolts tho, they shoved some temporary bolts in there and left them hanging.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Not good!

Not being familiar with this hitch. Can you point on the images where these extra bolts were placed.

DW and I are looking at new campers and a 5ver is on the list. Not sure what to keep an eye out for.

Thanks.
Here is the installation video. I clearly shows the Wedge, lockout bolts, and where they go. The important thing is- with this type of pinbox, you must use EITHER the wedge OR the lockout bolts. Never both at once.
Old 04-12-2021, 12:26 PM   #12

So what is the purpose of the orbital pin box?

Is it because you have a short bed truck?

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:11 PM   #13

That is exactly what they did.
Digsdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 03:17 PM   #14

Yep , very bad, danger Will Robinson , danger.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 04:38 PM   #15

When this kind of thing happens, it seems we expect this kind of response:

"Whatdya mean we wrecked your hitch?"

In reading this thread, it's really positive that these dealerships acknowledge they screwed up.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
When this kind of thing happens, it seems we expect this kind of response:

"Whatdya mean we wrecked your hitch?"

In reading this thread, it's really positive that these dealerships acknowledge they screwed up.

Murff

I’d agree. Stuff happens. Really nice that they’re stepping up and taking care of it.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:17 PM   #17

Hey all, I really appreciate all your replies. I wanted to update this post and say that the dealer replaced the truck bed hitch and trailer hitch without even requiring photos. They knew exactly what happened when we called them and they expedited the parts and the mobile repairs to our campsite. Great outcome to a bad situation.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:51 AM   #18

I have a slider hitch that requires a capture plate. First trip back to dealer they did some minor damage to the plate. Now whenever I take trailer in I automatically take the capture plate off and take it with me.
Phil2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 01:10 PM   #19

Had the same thing happen with a capture plate left off after service. I hooked up and and started to head out and WHAM! the slider went all the way to the back limit. The pin box crunched the top of the tailgate and mangled up the umbilical.

Getting the trailer off the hitch while it was all the way at the back limit, the hitch head was 90 degrees from normal position, was the real trick.

Dealer service manager apologized profusely and they paid for all repairs.

Only thing visible is the electrical tape on the umbilical now where they butt-spliced the wires.

Live and learn. I will always check for the capture plate from now own.
Nissan Titan <- Fleetwood Sea Pine Popup / JayFeather X23J / Whitehawk 27 DSRL
RAM 1500 HEMI <- Whitehawk 27 DSRL
RAM 3500 TD <- Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 02:27 PM   #20

We had the same EXACT thing happen when Ken Garff Mesquite RV had their "lot boy" hook up our 5th wheel to their dealership truck. Ours was a superglide connect and he used a regular hitch connect that was on their truck (all their stupid lot boy had to do was remove the superglide plate to use a conventional connect in the dealer's truck - instead he left the plate on). The second he pulled forward and turned their dealer truck to move our 5th wheel into their service bay, he TIPPED OUR 5TH WHEEL TO THE SIDE, DAMAGING OUR KING PIN SEVERELY and ripped their hitch out of the back of their truck. Had it not been for the fact that we were outside our home when Ken Garff Mesquite RV delivered our 5th wheel to us and we saw the king pin was severely bent as the 2 idiot delivery drivers were driving away in a dealership truck (watching in the rear and side view mirrors of their truck to see if we noticed the damage I might add), we would not have had a leg to stand on with our insurance. We called Ken Garff Mesquite RV as their delivery boys were driving away. The General Sales Manger's idiot son tried to blame us for $900 damage to the dealership's truck when they were the ones who caused the damage. Had we not called out the dealership and the General Sales Manager's son for being dishonest and not truthfully coming forward to admit they were at fault, the dealership was clearly hoping to deny any liability for the massive damage they caused by not telling us they damaged both their truck and our trailer. Progressive went after Ken Garff Mesquite RV dealership for repairs to our kingpin but we could never trust the towing after that point. That trailer was brand new, had only been used 2x and we traded it in for another RV. Camping World bought the 5th wheel from us and fortunately, since they did all the repair work on the kingpin, they already knew the extent of damage that our 5th wheel suffered. MORAL OF THE STORY - NEVER let a dealer deliver your trailer to you after they have done repairs unless you are standing right there and inspect your property BEFORE the dealer employees drive away; and, ALWAYS make sure you detail inspect your kingpin hitch to verify that it is not damaged BEFORE you hook your trailer up to your truck and leave a dealers lot.
Motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote