Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-12-2017, 11:50 PM   #1

Hot water too hot!

I took my 27.5RLTS to the dealer and am still waiting for some of the ordered things to come in and be replaced. While it was there the tech told me that there was nothing that could be done on my ELECTRIC thermostat, to lower the water temperature of the water heater. He said it had a 140 degree thermostat in it and it could not be changed.
Well, 140 degrees is great if you have a dish washer, but very few RV's have a dish washer. What rocket scientist decided on putting a 140 degree thermostat in an RV. Oh, probably the same guy that thought putting up a mirror in the bathroom with sticky tape was a good idea!

Online I looked at some YouTube videos of people changing thermostats on water heaters but they didn't look like my Atwood. Has anyone else out there put a 120 degree thermostat on an Atwood water heater?? I've had comments that said just temper the hot water with the cold, that is fine except someone goes to use it, possibly a child, and not familiar with our RV, and they get burnt. NOT GOOD.
I'm looking for an answer to whether or not the thermostat for the ELECTRIC can be changed or not. Hoping someone with a little more knowledge about this can help me out.
2014 F350 SD Lariat, 4X2, Ext.Cab 8'Bed, 6.2Ltr gas, 4:30 Rear ratio
2008 Cedar Creek Fifth Wheel 34TSA, 37' (traded in)
2017 Jayco Eagle HT Fifth Wheel 27.5 RLTS
bogadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:09 AM   #2

they have started to find Bacteria actually grows in 120 water so I would relax and leave it alone at 140 but that isn't what you want to hear. I get not wanting someone to get burned but I would like my water safe to drink first, and teach kids that sonetimes water is hot. http://homeguides.sfgate.com/turning...ria-54596.html

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustdave View Post
I get not wanting someone to get burned but I would like my water safe to drink first, and teach kids that sonetimes water is hot.
You drink hot water?

140 degrees F isn't going to kill all possible nasties.. you'd have to boil it for that (212F, at sea level)

Personally, I only ever use the water from the heater to shower, or wash dishes.
I certainly wouldn't drink it, though... drinking water, hot or cold, is usually bottled (gallon-jugged) for us,

Ian, the man from Scotland
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:23 AM   #4
Site Team

Another reason that 140 is a standard is that is allows you more hot water capacity when showering because it does not take a s much hot water from the tank to make warm water for our use.

I have seen gobs of threads and you tube videos using lower temp and even adjustable thermostats. For me, education of those using the camper is our way of handling it. Others may choose to do something else.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:45 AM   #5

It's powerful hot but you learn fast to be careful. Like said above, they do it to keep the hot water flowing longer. This is my first Atwood. I know on suburban water heaters you can install lower temp thermostats on the LP or electric or both. Not sure if Atwood offers lower temp thermostats.

I myself enjoy it. I can keep it on electric only and leave the shower run the entire team and not run out of hot water. On full hooks that is. My suburbans wouldn't do that unless you ran it on electric and LP and even than it was iffy.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
It's powerful hot but you learn fast to be careful. Like said above, they do it to keep the hot water flowing longer. This is my first Atwood. I know on suburban water heaters you can install lower temp thermostats on the LP or electric or both. Not sure if Atwood offers lower temp thermostats.

I myself enjoy it. I can keep it on electric only and leave the shower run the entire team and not run out of hot water. On full hooks that is. My suburbans wouldn't do that unless you ran it on electric and LP and even than it was iffy.

Earl
I’m with you on this. I had a 10 gal suburban in a previous unit and a 6 gal Atwood at present. We never run out of hot water now and did on accession with the suburban. Learning to mix the hot and cold becomes very natural!! I wouldn’t switch thermostats even if we’re practical!!
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:54 AM   #7

Atwood does make an adjustable thermostat.

Another option many people do, is open the water heater bypass valve a little to mix some cool water into the hot water stream.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:26 AM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Take the Atwood TH and go to a local HVAC shop, they can match up a adjustable WH TH.
I/m sure they are cheaper than the RV shops.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:33 AM   #9

X2 with norty1 & Mopar_Earl replies and comments.

My thought is if you change out the thermostat will you get too much reduction. Personally, I would rather have too hot then too cold. Too hot you can compensate by mixing more cold water at the faucets.

I've never had a Suburban Hot Water Tank, only Attwood on 4 trailers (3 - Sunline trailers, 1 - Jayco FW).

I never remember running out of hot water that includes when the 3 kids were traveling with us. Even with 5 of us taking showers (2 - guys; 3 - gals), we never ran out of hot water and we always used electric only when hooked up to shore power.

Just sharing our experience & opinion.
Good luck
Old 10-13-2017, 08:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Atwood does make an adjustable thermostat.

Another option many people do, is open the water heater bypass valve a little to mix some cool water into the hot water stream.

This! It works kind of like a thermostatic mixing valve in a home system which allows you to set your water heater at 140°, and get ~120° water at the faucet. A big bonus is that it can stretch 50 gallons of hot water to 70-80 gallons in a home. Would be a huge bonus to stretch an 6 gallon RV water heater to the 8-10 gallon range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:49 AM   #11

What @Jagiven and @NewBlackDak say. Tempering should be done with the bypass valve, not by adjusting the taps. That way kids won't be hurt and you will have much better run time on the little HW tank.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeRJuliian View Post
You drink hot water?

140 degrees F isn't going to kill all possible nasties.. you'd have to boil it for that (212F, at sea level)

Personally, I only ever use the water from the heater to shower, or wash dishes.
I certainly wouldn't drink it, though... drinking water, hot or cold, is usually bottled (gallon-jugged) for us,

Ian, the man from Scotland
Guess you didn't read my link..... quote Legionella pneumophila, known to be the source of Legionnaires' disease.... hot water mist in shower or left on dishes is the path way... you don't have to drink it too get sick. Simplest solution is to teach kids how to live in the real world vs baby proofing and sheltering. Sorry pet pieve of mine, I know a few idiot parents that feel they can shelter out the bad forever. I'll get off my soap box now.
Yes mixing via the bypass and or outdoor shower with both faucets on will do that. Free too.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:02 PM   #13

Do people here just turn on hot all the way and take a shower at home? I habe mix everything my entire life

Old 10-13-2017, 06:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Do people here just turn on hot all the way and take a shower at home? I habe mix everything my entire life

Same here. Never had one of those fancy mixing valves or faucets. Always mix it myself too.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:23 PM   #15

Quote:

It's funny how simply putting wheels under something changes everything.... lol
Old 10-13-2017, 08:06 PM   #16

I also was told, it's set high (non-adjustable) because of the small storage tank to make it last longer when mixed with cold. My also mentions that she does "hot" showers, when I know we're hooked up to septic, she likes to take longer showers (so far up to about 20 minutes and still with hot water), I not only use the electric water heater, but I also have the gas heater on.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:20 PM   #17

installed adj therm, works great, ez install too.
igofishn is offline   Reply With Quote