Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-09-2020, 05:57 AM   #1

Issues with Equalizer Auto Leveling System

My parents bought a 2020 Pinnacle 36kpts about a month ago and we just started moving things into it. we went to lower the auto level, wouldnt work. hit all retract they retracted and it worked. Left the jacks down for a couple days and retracted them to put the slides out. After we got the slides out we went to auto level and they wouldn't go down. We hit All Retract and all we heard was grinding from the Hydraulic pump it sounded like there was high resistance from something. They will move with the buttons separate from the auto level. Any advice on what to do?
2020Pinnacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:18 AM   #2

subscribed.
I too would like to hear more about this new system.

2020 North Point 387RDFS
modern farmhouse
2018 GMC Denali HD CC SRW Duramax L5P
Curt A20
Airlift 5000
Michelin Defender LTX M/S
Zs387RDFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:34 AM   #3

If your hearing a " grinding noise " from the pump sounds like it's bad. Are you saying you can level using the separate leg buttons just not AUTO ? Maybe wired wrong but it's all a warranty problem. You might call Equalizer and discuss if they are open. They are a great customer oriented business.
I have had the Equalizer for about 4 yrs now and never any real issues. Only thing is I have to set the level memory now twice but I only had this after twice traveling some really bad county roads to camps. I might suggest to " auto level before extending slides. To me my slides seem to work easier that way.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:37 AM   #4

I did contact them already they said to disconnect the pressure switch and try it if not the pump isnt moving enough fluid and will do.
2020Pinnacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020Pinnacle View Post
I did contact them already they said to disconnect the pressure switch and try it if not the pump isnt moving enough fluid and will do.
Double check if Jayco put fluid in
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020Pinnacle View Post
Left the jacks down for a couple days and retracted them to put the slides out. After we got the slides out we went to auto level and they wouldn't go down.
FYI, you are supposed to auto-level BEFORE you put the slides out. If you are not level when putting the slides out you run a chance of possibly binding up the slide!
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 04:01 PM   #7

We have a 2020 Jayco Pinnacle 5th wheel.
Our equalizers worked great last year. This year nothing but problems. When I go to auto level, I hit the retract all and then auto level. The front legs go all the way down and the rear and side legs do nothing. I have tried manually leveling, but again the side & rear legs do nothing. I have reset the null, but it didn't help the problem. Any suggestions.
CoraS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 05:52 AM   #8

I am not quite sure why you are pushing the retract all button to auto level. We have an Andersen ultimate hitch, and our procedure is to lift the front legs to raise the camper off the hitch. I then move the truck out of the way and then my bride pushes the auto level button, and the camper then does its thing. the only time we use the retract all button is after hitching to the truck. We manually then retract the front legs completely, and then push the retract all, which brings up the 4 rear legs.
Old 07-19-2022, 06:11 AM   #9

The owners manual and our dealer both said the procedure per equalizer was to lower front legs, hit retract all, then auto level. It always worked until this year.
Old 07-19-2022, 06:29 AM   #10

Strange.
I suspect something going on with the controller. I would check to be sure all connections are secure on both the controller (in wet bay on my rig) and the main board (in the front storage bay on my rig).

Jetlag - I'm surprised you are not retracting the rear legs before hitching. You are asking a lot of the front landing gear the way you describe your procedure.

2020 North Point 387RDFS
modern farmhouse
2018 GMC Denali HD CC SRW Duramax L5P
Curt A20
Airlift 5000
Michelin Defender LTX M/S
Zs387RDFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 06:32 AM   #11

The rear and the side legs will not go down so no need to retract rear legs.
Old 07-19-2022, 06:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zs387RDFS View Post
Strange.
I suspect something going on with the controller. I would check to be sure all connections are secure on both the controller (in wet bay on my rig) and the main board (in the front storage bay on my rig).

Jetlag - I'm surprised you are not retracting the rear legs before hitching. You are asking a lot of the front landing gear the way you describe your procedure.
The only way I know to raise the king pin high enough to clear the top of hitch. It is not that much usually. not sure about the weight distribution of the camper. I keep thinking it might tip backward on its tail with just the front legs down? You may be able to shed light on that
Old 07-19-2022, 07:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Strange.

I emailed Equalizer, since you got me worried now, lol. I will post as soon as they respond.
Old 07-19-2022, 08:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Strange.

I stand corrected, thank you, although it appears to me that the stress would be on the rear legs as I would be adding more pressure to them while raising the front ones? The front legs will still have come up as high as needed to clear the hitch. Doesn't matter, we will do as you and EQ have suggested. EQ Systems has a very fast customer response. Here is their response

Yes it will stay supported with just the front legs deployed. When hitching, we recommend raising all the rear up and then moving the front two up and down to get it on the ball.

Mason Mitchell Sr.
Warranty & Service Tech, EQ Systems
EQ Systems | EQ Harness | EQ Logistics | EQ United
55169 CR 3 North, Elkhart, Indiana 46514
P. (800) 846-9659 / F. (574) 231-7131
Old 07-19-2022, 08:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoraS View Post
The owners manual and our dealer both said the procedure per equalizer was to lower front legs, hit retract all, then auto level. It always worked until this year.

I noticed on my Pinnacle that after unhitching I need to lower the front end of the 5er down a few inches before pushing the retract all and auto level or nothing happens.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 08:28 AM   #16

I will contact eq. The rear and side jacks NEVER deploy.
Old 07-19-2022, 08:36 AM   #17

I have done that. The side and rear jacks are dead in the water. When I hit auto level the front jacks go all the way down. If I try to manually lower rear and side I just get a hum in the front and nothing happens. Frustrating.
Old 07-19-2022, 08:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoraS View Post
I have done that. The side and rear jacks are dead in the water. When I hit auto level the front jacks go all the way down. If I try to manually lower rear and side I just get a hum in the front and nothing happens. Frustrating.

Sorry, I'm confused...

So you are trying to auto level when hitched?
You say your front jacks go down, but they should already be down when trying to auto level.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 08:55 AM   #19

I have a small stick on level in my wet bay. I level front to rear with the front jacks before pushing the auto level button. I only use the retract all when I'm ready to hook up and need to raise the middle and rear jacks.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 09:13 AM   #20

No when we go to unhitch I lower the front jack and move the truck. The auto level system doesn’t work. The front jacks lower almost to the ground but the rear and side jacks do not come down. They stay up. I try to manually lower the side and rear jacks but they do not lower. We manually level Rv with boards and front jacks.