Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-01-2020, 06:16 PM   #1

Loud humming

Hello, yesterday we picked a lightly used 2019 Jayco Eagle 26.5 RLDS. Today while trying to get to know how to use the RV we noticed a loud humming sound which we located inside the electrical panel opposite the red disconnect switch. The noise only happens when plugged into shore power. This also causes a breaker to flip in a black box; however everything works. TV, lights, slides, etc. Turning on multiple lights does not stop the humming. It appears to me that someone has already been into this area as screws were loose or missing in a couple of areas. Automatic transfer switch? Thanks everybody.
honeybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 07:14 PM   #2

Well, what does that breaker run? When it trips does the humming stop? If you can determine what it runs it’s either that device or the breaker itself.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:20 PM   #3

Welcome... from another Utah'n.

Does your hummm stop when you turn off all of the 12v lights and appliances? I am suspecting (but need more information) that the hum might be the 120v-to-12v converter that is charging the house batteries/keeping the 12v lights powered.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 09:01 PM   #4

I have the hum too. Not excessively loud but noticeable. I think it's coming from the converter. Gonna listen in to maybe learn why and if there is something I should be doing to prevent it. Shur wouldn't want for it to get any worse. Thanks to all contributors, it really makes this a nice forum.
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 8' bed 4:10
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2017 Travel Lite 890RX (truck camper)
Sun N Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybear View Post
Automatic transfer switch? Thanks everybody.
If you have a geny or geny prep it could be the ATS. Run the geny if you have one and see if it stops.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:44 AM   #6

Hello all and many thanks for your replies to my questions. I believe I have found the problem. The noise was originating from the automatic transfer switch made by Progressive Dynamics. The model is a PD 52. I noticed they also sell a model PD 52 DCSD which they call "the silent ATS". I called them and spoke a nice tech who told me that the RV manufacturers want to keep their costs down so they order the less expensive model of this unit. Personally I am a light sleeper and this noise resonates through the 5th wheel. It would disturb my sleep. I have taken the RV to a local repair facility. The owner confirmed that it was the automatic transfer switch and is going to replace it with the "silent ATS". Hope your listening JAYCO. Thanks again everybody. With love from Utah. Jim
honeybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 07:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybear View Post
The owner confirmed that it was the automatic transfer switch and is going to replace it with the "silent ATS". Hope your listening JAYCO. Thanks again everybody. With love from Utah. Jim
That should also be the one with built in surge protection. If I remember correctly the price is almost double that of the standard one that most companies use.

Don't get me wrong, but as with anything else if they went "top end" on all the components you would be paying double for every rig. We all know when people go RV shopping 75% is all about price point.

My experience with the ATS is the hum was not not a constant, sometimes it did and sometimes it didn't.