Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-03-2023, 01:23 PM   #1

Out west trip

Wife and I were discussing if we might want to take another trip out west next year. Took one a few years ago and had a wonderful time. Was curious if all the national parks are as crowded as they were during covid and how hard reservations at RV parks are to get at short notice. Our last trip the only reservation we had made was at Gardiner for a week to visit Yellowstone. Didn't
have a problem at any of the other sites we visited, but don't think that is still the case. We have no time limits this trip so would rather play it by ear.
camjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 02:12 PM   #2

If you come to California and want to stay at any state campgrounds you best make reservations out as far as you can. 6 months is when the dates open up.

I like to stay at state sites right on the beach. Watching the ocean is very relaxing for me.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 02:18 PM   #3

We went in march this year to AZ, New Mexico and southern Utah.
Only reservation we made was at Sand Hollow in Utah. We were out the a month.

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 02:59 PM   #4
CAG

It really depends upon when and where you go. If you want to go to the Grand Canyon South Rim in June/July or August make reservations well in advance. Many of the Utah NPs will be full early on. I would be calling at least six months out to make reservations just because I do not like showing up and being surprised when everything is full, but that is me.

I do hope that by next year we have come off of our $4.80 a gallon gas prices in the Phoenix area. I do see the rest of the state has come down some.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 06:39 PM   #5

We are currently doing our out west trip. Made a reservation to Fishing bridge one year in advance (just to be safe). Colter Bay was 6 months I believe, just to make sure I got it. We just made a change to our Glacier reservation. Originally booked West Glacier RV park and decided to change to West Glacier KOA Resort, 2 days before our reservation. There were still 3 sites available at the time of booking. We canceled West Glacier and booked the KOA.

As far as business, Yellowstone is busy, but If you go early and late in the day, it's not as bad. The big ticket items have been busy, but that is to be expected.

2022 Ford F-350 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 6.7L Diesel Antimatter Blue
2017 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS
mitch8628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 08:01 AM   #6

Just visited Bryce, Cedar Breaks and Zion last week. Most rv parks close to the parks were booked so we camped in Cedar City, UT.
Old 06-28-2023, 08:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
Just visited Bryce, Cedar Breaks and Zion last week. Most rv parks close to the parks were booked so we camped in Cedar City, UT.
Thanks for the update.
camjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 08:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
We visited Zion two weeks ago. We stayed at Willow Wind RV park in Hurricane. We made reservations only 4 days before our trip, and while we were there they were many vacant spaces available. There are also a couple of new RV parks in Hurricane that had many vacant spaces as well. Willow Wind is a beautiful park and we highly recommend it. It is about 20 miles from Zion.

Zion was pretty busy. It was about a 30 minute wait just getting through the gate. The only way to travel along the Virgin river is by shuttle bus, and they looked full. There were lots of people at the bus stops as well.

We had lots of fun and enjoyed our stay at Willow Wind.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote