Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2020, 08:33 AM   #1

Propane smell

Getting ready to hit the road, first in a first this year with my 355mbqs. About 10 minutes after starting my fridge with propane, my detector started belong and I could smell the gas in the camper. I quickly shut off the gas and vented the camper. Right now my camper is not level. Could this be why I smelled gas?

Thank you, Jason
M109pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:41 AM   #2

By chance have you verified that the stove is turned off. We have and others have commented that they accidentally bumped the burner valve and turned it on with no flame.

How far out of level are you? Generally speaking this should not cause a gas leak.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M109pilot View Post
Getting ready to hit the road, first in a first this year with my 355mbqs. About 10 minutes after starting my fridge with propane, my detector started belong and I could smell the gas in the camper. I quickly shut off the gas and vented the camper. Right now my camper is not level. Could this be why I smelled gas?

Thank you, Jason

Ours runs on propane/electric depending on what's available. After you've verified it's not your stove/oven that's on and all it can be is the fridge, you can probably double check the gas line from the outside access panel on the back side of the fridge. In a pinch you could simply shut the gas line off at the tank and run off electric but that could pose issues with hot water or using the stove.

Good Luck
Old 09-09-2020, 09:21 AM   #4

If you have eliminated the stove being on open doors and windows and get some soapy water and start testing every connection for a leak. You may also have a cracked pipe or bad connection. It could be coming from outside if you have a leaking regulator or hose.

Also, your leak could be in the basement or under the trailer if squirrels have eaten the lines down below.

If all else fails go to a propane dealer and rent/borrow an LP detector or have them do it. Most won't charge much, will do it right then or by appointment and WON'T KEEP YOUR RV FOR 5 MONTHS TO DO IT. lol. ( not. )
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:27 AM   #5
Site Team

I recently bought a LP gas tester from Amazon. It works great and I am quickly able to verify all connections to verify they don't leak.

One of the best little $$$ I have spent.

https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Detec...9665285&sr=8-5
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:29 AM   #6

I bought the same detector. I found a cut in my LP line mid way down the rail. Also found LP leaking from both pig tails and also the regulator. I changed it all out and spliced in where it was cut and were all good now. This was a year ago and I have a 2017 model. Never trust anything!
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 01:35 AM   #7

Based on your symptoms, there must be a leak internally in the fridge or it's not burning the gas properly. If it was a basic connection issue or the stovetop, it would be leaking before you turned on the fridge. I am assuming you're not opening any valve to get the fridge to work, just turning it on.
rashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:14 AM   #8

Well, it turns out that one of the side knives was on "light". Can't believe I didn't check that first. O well. Thanks for the help, gents.

Jason
Reese 16K slider hitch
M109pilot is offline   Reply With Quote