Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-05-2017, 08:37 AM   #1

Storage Compartment Seal

I am trying to stop a leak around one of the rear storage doors on my 2017 Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS. Dealer can't get me in until May 29th (too long to have water leaking!) and Jayco passed it back at dealer.

I pointed out the leak at PDI, and the dealer "adjusted" the door, but it continues to leak. Looking at the seal, I think it's misaligned. I want to replace it.

What would be a suitable material to use as the gasket? Needs to be a dense, foam rubber from what I see. What have you used in the past to repair a seal?
Erren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:51 AM   #2
Site Team

The OEM seals usually leave something to be desired. I would try to find a self adhesive closed-cell foam tape, with similar dimensions, maybe just a TOUCH thicker. That may help with the misaligned door. It will compress some over time. A good sized hardware store should have something that'll do the job. Clean the old seal adhesive off the surface completely and take your time adhering the new one in its place, especially butting the ends together. Good luck.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:15 AM   #3

Sorry to hear your having troubles .... My cargo door was misaligned and hard to lock. Never enough rain to have any issues, but I did put it under warranty and Jayco authorized the dealer to put in a new one and now it works and looks great. Jayco authorized the new door within a day of dealer submitting .. no questions asked.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:08 AM   #4

I would suggest looking for a rubber "D" seal with adhesive tape instead of the foam tape. I just replaced the foam tape that was around the rock guard on the front window of our unit. Besides being improperly aligned at the corners the foam tape had compressed over time to a point where it no longer sealed properly. The rubber "D" seal should avoid that. Here is a photo of the old foam tape on the right and the new "D" seal on the left. I got mine right at the dealer's parts dept. for .99/foot. Snip a tiny piece of the old strip and take it with you to compare. We just had a big thunderstorm roll through overnight with heavy rains and the new "D" seal did a great job of keeping water from getting behind the rock guard, so I'm pleased with how well it works:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170429_145328 (1).jpg  
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 11:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
I would suggest looking for a rubber "D" seal with adhesive tape instead of the foam tape. I just replaced the foam tape that was around the rock guard on the front window of our unit. Besides being improperly aligned at the corners the foam tape had compressed over time to a point where it no longer sealed properly. The rubber "D" seal should avoid that. Here is a photo of the old foam tape on the right and the new "D" seal on the left. I got mine right at the dealer's parts dept. for .99/foot. Snip a tiny piece of the old strip and take it with you to compare. We just had a big thunderstorm roll through overnight with heavy rains and the new "D" seal did a great job of keeping water from getting behind the rock guard, so I'm pleased with how well it works:
I had a similar leak. Dealer replaced the seal with a similar D shaped foam. Might try a local auto parts store. Could also try amazon.

Short term, you could seal the joint with electrical tape. I did that with my roof when I tore it, and had to order eternabond. It worked very well.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:51 PM   #6

We got a recall notice from Jayco about sealing around the outside kitchen. Might ask your dealer to order the parts for you.
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote