Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-22-2017, 08:18 AM   #1

Winter Camping in a North Point

Does anyone winter camp in extremely cold temperatures/snow in a North Point? We looked at one last weekend and fell in love. Thinking about selling it all and living in one full time on 5 acres that family owns and travel when we can. We live in CT

Not sure how feasible it is just curious if anyone else is or has done it.
rb2boxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:11 AM   #2

Just got my NP 381 last month. I did read it is tested for zero to one hundred degrees. From past experience the 30lb propane bottle will only last three or four days. You need a big one, some propane dealers will supply/rent one to you and will refill it on site. The most common concern is freezing the fill/dump control station that is sectioned off from the cargo area. There are several good You Tube videos on "when camping in extreme cold" and use your search to read up on tips.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:03 PM   #3

There will be challenges in CT but it is doable. Have to be careful to drip water lines on freezing days to prevent freezing. Put skirting around the bottom block out wind and cold underneath.
Tim&paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:43 PM   #4

I've only spent a couple weeks in hard freeze weather in ours. Both times were temporary so just the 'bare' trailer. Would use a 30lb propane bottle in a few days.

We have been to RV parks in places like Idaho where full time residents live in their RV's. They have skirting around the unit and large, house size, propane tanks. they also have heated water hoses and they heat the water faucets.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:14 PM   #5

We have done it. We don’t skirt ours or anything other than using a heated water hose. We use 2 30 lb bottles a week when it’s really cold. Most of the time both bottles will last 2 weeks. I have a third bottle so I waited then both were my swapped the 3rd one in and took the others with me to refill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 09:16 PM   #6

I walk around in shorts even in zero degrees outside. No drafts, no cold spots. To be honest if it wasn’t for heating the underbelly we would hardly ever use the propane. Fireplace and heat pump work well. We also have the dual pane windows and awning toppers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoojs12840 is offline   Reply With Quote