Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-15-2022, 04:26 PM   #1

Grape solar?

I've been bouncing back and forth on which solar panels to use on the 37K. Originally, I was going to fit two 430 watt panels (which fit to my surprise) right out the front of the rig after I offed that winegard antenna and then add six 200 watt panels along the sides.
I would be using two battery controllers with this.

So, two things: I'm have trouble buying just two 430 watt panels, most outfits have minimums of four panels. Along the sides, you have at most 32" which pretty much leaves Grape panels which are 29" wide. Free delivery from home depot.

I could fit eight grape panels on the rig, which I know is overkill but would be better in Washington states falls, winters and springs.

I haven't used Grape since the dark ages and was wondering your thoughts.
2019 F-150
Semix-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 07:05 PM   #2

I almost went with grape solar panels but found 2 decent quality 320 watt residential panels that were a perfect fit, a better price and relatively close by.

You're right on thinking more panels is better, I see slightly less that half my summer output in the winter. Tilting panels would be much better, but that adds complexity. If I ever decide I need more panels they probably will be portable.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 07:15 PM   #3

I added 2 of the exact same panels that the factory put on my 2022. They were 190watt each and the combined total did not require a different charging system. So far they keep everything charged up during storage and quickly regenerate the batteries after a day of use. We are taking a trip this weekend to see how long they will run the residential refrigerator before we have to run the generator.
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L
Jeepin Jason is offline   Reply With Quote