Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-20-2022, 08:03 AM   #1

Air Compressor Questions

I've seen a couple of threads but nothing like what I'm wondering. I'm pretty new to TT life. Spent last year going out once a month to the local lake. This year am doing the same but adding a couple longer trips. Still just a few days, nothing major. I've been thinking that I need to take an air compressor with me but, when I buy things, I want them to do multiple things if possible. Here is what I'm thinking.

I will be carrying a generator with me on longer trips so I'm not worried about needing electrical. I'm thinking a small hot dog compressor, maybe 1 gallon size. My thought is that it might not even need to be plugged in to fill a tire if it is already full of air. Plus I could use it in the shop for nailing, cleaning things with air or other small stuff.

Does anyone have experience with them? If they are already full of air, would they inflate a tire without needing to be plugged in? Any recommendations on brands or sizes? Anything else I'm missing here?

I appreciate the info.
CBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 08:09 AM   #2

We have a small air tool compressor from Lowes. Do not use it much, unless I for get to bring it!lol
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 08:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
We have a small air tool compressor from Lowes. Do not use it much, unless I for get to bring it!lol
Yeah, I have a couple of other compressors, one for the garage and one for the wood shop. They are both too large to bring along. I was thinking one of the little hot dog ones would be good to take along and might do double duty for some other more remote chores.
Old 04-20-2022, 08:20 AM   #4

I'd get a good 12v for the rv. A small 120v compressor would be OK, but your not going to fill any higher pressure tires with just a full pressure tank of air from any small compressor, it will need to be plugged in. My 80 psi tires make my 2 gallon 120 v compressor kick on just topping them off.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 09:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
I'd get a good 12v for the rv. A small 120v compressor would be OK, but your not going to fill any higher pressure tires with just a full pressure tank of air from any small compressor, it will need to be plugged in. My 80 psi tires make my 2 gallon 120 v compressor kick on just topping them off.
That's good info! Thank You. I've got 4 60# tires on the TT, 2 60# on the front of the truck and 2 75# on the rear. Maybe the hot dog won't work for me then.

I was really wanting to stay away from a 12v one if possible. Sits there for years not being used and then doesn't work when you need it.
Old 04-20-2022, 10:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBears View Post
That's good info! Thank You. I've got 4 60# tires on the TT, 2 60# on the front of the truck and 2 75# on the rear. Maybe the hot dog won't work for me then.

I was really wanting to stay away from a 12v one if possible. Sits there for years not being used and then doesn't work when you need it.
Viair. It will always work when you need it, and more than handle your tires.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 11:01 AM   #7

I had a 3 gallon hotdog compressor at home. Very good brand, with good duty cycle for what it was. Burnt it up from over use in the shop. A one gallon compressor will even be worse. In my opinion for how much it will be used while camping it was way to big and bulky.

In the TT I keep a Slime Brand 12V compressor. It is not as fast as my new big 30 gallon compressor at home, but it does everything I need it to do when camping, or out with the scouts (bike trips).

Slime does not appear to make the model I have anymore, but mine is something like this one but with an analog gauge. I installed a couple 12 volt AUX outlets for easy access, one in my lower refrigerator access panel, and another just inside the main passage door. Between the two locations, it is easy to use the compressor.

https://www.amazon.com/Slime-40046-H...s%2C533&sr=8-4

I would get a decent 12V compressor to leave in the TV or TT. Otherwise after a few trips, you will just leave the hotdog at home, and will have nothing when you need it.

Key thing to look at is Duty Cycle.

Happy Camping

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 01:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I had a 3 gallon hotdog compressor at home. Very good brand, with good duty cycle for what it was. Burnt it up from over use in the shop. A one gallon compressor will even be worse. In my opinion for how much it will be used while camping it was way to big and bulky.

In the TT I keep a Slime Brand 12V compressor. It is not as fast as my new big 30 gallon compressor at home, but it does everything I need it to do when camping, or out with the scouts (bike trips).

Slime does not appear to make the model I have anymore, but mine is something like this one but with an analog gauge. I installed a couple 12 volt AUX outlets for easy access, one in my lower refrigerator access panel, and another just inside the main passage door. Between the two locations, it is easy to use the compressor.

https://www.amazon.com/Slime-40046-H...s%2C533&sr=8-4

I would get a decent 12V compressor to leave in the TV or TT. Otherwise after a few trips, you will just leave the hotdog at home, and will have nothing when you need it.

Key thing to look at is Duty Cycle.

Happy Camping
Thank you so much for the reply!
Old 04-20-2022, 02:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Viair. It will always work when you need it, and more than handle your tires.
I'll probably end up getting on of these after all. The other thread I found was probably 10 - 1 Viair.

Thank You.
Old 04-20-2022, 02:28 PM   #10

Get the Viair..you won't regret it. It's small and powerful.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 03:03 PM   #11

This is what I have, a VIAIR 88P:
https://www.viaircorp.com/portables/88p

I use this for taking off my lugnuts, works great!
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...t+impact&pos=0

And use this instead of jumper cables, wich I've never needed, but helps when someone else hs a dead battery. Can also be used th charge phones or iPads:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote