Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-16-2019, 04:29 PM   #1

Aluminum Siding - Why Are Horizontal Seams Not Caulked?

Upgraded from a fiberglass hybrid to aluminum 2019 Jay Flight this summer. I'm curious why the horizontal seams, especially in the front, are not caulked? I understand the panels likely overlap from the bottom up. This makes sense for a stationary installation but how does water not get forced into and past those joints when towing? Water at 60MPH will go a lot of directions other than down, especially over the racked front of the trailer. Just think what it does on your windshield when driving down the highway.

I also noticed there doesn't appear to be caulking where the siding meets the diamond plate in the front but again the top of the diamond plate appears to be overlapped by the bottom of the lowest aluminum panel.

I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation of how this works. Aluminum sided trailers have been around forever and I doubt they all leak when being towed in the rain...

We towed in the rain last week and I noticed a little water on the driver side nightstand when we went to bed. I'm suspecting the front clearance light is the culprit as I noticed some moisture on the lens the next morning when doing a walk around the trailer. Going to hit that all around with OSI Quad. I think Jayco caulks the top of the lights from the factory but the rest just is just a foam looking pad. Trailer has been through plenty of Midwest monsoon downpours when stationary since we got it with no signs of water ingress.
Brad81987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:01 PM   #2

When we had our 195RB I masked off each horizontal seam on the front and applied a thin bead of Dicor no-sag to eliminate this issue. We always seemed to have just a little bit of moisture on various places along the inside front wall after towing through heavy rain. This cured that problem.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
When we had our 195RB I masked off each horizontal seam on the front and applied a thin bead of Dicor no-sag to eliminate this issue. We always seemed to have just a little bit of moisture on various places along the inside front wall after towing through heavy rain. This cured that problem.
x2. we did the same to our 145RB.
Tiguan Tow r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:26 AM   #4

Sounds like a project to add to my fall cleanup list. Thanks!
Brad81987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 07:05 PM   #5

I have the same problem with rain intrusions on the front cap of my 2018 26 SLX Jay Flight TT when traveling. The front seams are not chalked but should be! I had my dealer do the warranty work several months ago but he must have missed a spot, still had water intrusion center front. Going to handle it myself this time. I'll send Jayco my bill :-).
32Pinnical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:12 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pope View Post
I have the same problem with rain intrusions on the front cap of my 2018 26 SLX Jay Flight TT when traveling.....snip
Here's an active thread on the same subject that may be helpful:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ing-72738.html

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 04:14 PM   #7

no longer a fan of Jayco tt

After owning a Terry tt for over 20 years "with no leakage problems" we upgraded to a 2020 Jayco 232rbw Rocky Mountain Edition tt.

Being as or 2020 Jayco was a used tt there was no warranty to second owner.

We travel a lot and every time I tow in the rain our front wall of the travel trailer leaked causing the head of the bed to get soaked.

After searching the internet I was amazed to see how many other owners had the same issue.

Towing in the rain forces rain water up through the overlapping horizontal seams on the trailer front and into the front wall.

After spending time sealing these seams issues were resolved.

Poor poor workmanship and quality.

This has been an ongoing issue for year's yet Jayco has a complete disregard to correct the problem on their units.

our son has an EVO tt and their front horizontal seams are all factory sealed against water intrusion.

Come on Thor Industries you can do better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad81987 View Post
Upgraded from a fiberglass hybrid to aluminum 2019 Jay Flight this summer. I'm curious why the horizontal seams, especially in the front, are not caulked? I understand the panels likely overlap from the bottom up. This makes sense for a stationary installation but how does water not get forced into and past those joints when towing? Water at 60MPH will go a lot of directions other than down, especially over the racked front of the trailer. Just think what it does on your windshield when driving down the highway.

I also noticed there doesn't appear to be caulking where the siding meets the diamond plate in the front but again the top of the diamond plate appears to be overlapped by the bottom of the lowest aluminum panel.

I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation of how this works. Aluminum sided trailers have been around forever and I doubt they all leak when being towed in the rain...

We towed in the rain last week and I noticed a little water on the driver side nightstand when we went to bed. I'm suspecting the front clearance light is the culprit as I noticed some moisture on the lens the next morning when doing a walk around the trailer. Going to hit that all around with OSI Quad. I think Jayco caulks the top of the lights from the factory but the rest just is just a foam looking pad. Trailer has been through plenty of Midwest monsoon downpours when stationary since we got it with no signs of water ingress.
Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 06:07 AM   #8

I have only had 2 leaks from my front siding on my 2015. One was self inflicted when I replaced my front marker lights and didn't put enough butyl behind one. The second was from the LF corner bead that had a couple of screws come loose and had to be re-secured. Never have seen any leaks from the siding itself.

2015 Starcraft AR-ONE Maxx 21FB
2023 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote