Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2015, 03:00 PM   #1

automatic regulator question

I know what the manual says about the automatic function of the regulator, but I've already modified it and am not sure how it will react. OK so I disconnected one of my 30's and put a longer hose on and connected it to a 100# tank. I am running solely off the 100. Will the gauge in the automatic regulator register the tank level in the 100# tank? It has been solid green since hooking it up and turning on heat. The other tank valve is not opened, so there is not a chance that the automatic regulator will automatically kick over to the other tank, but if I did open it and follow the setup directions in the manual would the automatic function work with a 100# and a 30#? Will the gauge slowly turn as level goes down, or will I get cold one day and find that the gauge has suddenly changed colors?

Any experience is greater than my limited time (now about 4 days) ... of course I'll find out in another week or so how I'll find out when the tank starts getting empty one way or another!
gratefulbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:21 PM   #2

In my experience, the gauge does not show tank fill level, just that it has pressure or no pressure. Once the tank empties, the gauge will quickly change from green to red. I don't see a problem with mixing a 100lb and 30lb tank. The regulator should operate the same. Good luck.

ddrueckh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrueckh View Post
In my experience, the gauge does not show tank fill level, just that it has pressure or no pressure. Once the tank empties, the gauge will quickly change from green to red. I don't see a problem with mixing a 100lb and 30lb tank. The regulator should operate the same. Good luck.
+1

The green/red indicator on the regulator only indicates pressure coming from whichever tank the dial is aimed at; it does not indicate fuel level in any way (except empty).

So regardless if you have a 5# cylinder or a 100# cylinder, when the fuel runs out, the "barber pole" turns from green to red and the regulator opens up the other side and begins allowing fuel from the "non-service" side. It's telling you "hey, your main service tank is empty, so I'm running on your 'backup' tank. You need to fill the 'service' tank".

The fuel will not stop flowing unless both tanks connected to the regulator are empty, assuming your equipment is working properly.

This happened to me last weekend. But I'm running the standard twin tanks. So when the regulator turned red, I rotated the dial on the regulator and closed the valve on the empty tank. So now what was my 'backup' tank is now my main service tank, and the empty tank is awaiting a refill in my garage. When I get it refilled and reinstalled, it will become my "backup" tank. And I'll start the whole process over again!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:00 PM   #4

so open up both 30# & the 100# valve, point the dial on the regulator towards the 100# tank, when the 100# runs out the indicator on the dial turns red, and the regulator automatically kicks over. the indicator will reamain red until I move the dial to the other side. I call my tank company they bring me out a fresh 100, and I can either use that as the backup to the 30, or switch the dial back over to the full 100 and use the now less than 30 as it's backup? Does that all sound correct? That's kind of how it came across over here.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulbruce View Post
so open up both 30# & the 100# valve, point the dial on the regulator towards the 100# tank, when the 100# runs out the indicator on the dial turns red, and the regulator automatically kicks over. the indicator will reamain red until I move the dial to the other side. I call my tank company they bring me out a fresh 100, and I can either use that as the backup to the 30, or switch the dial back over to the full 100 and use the now less than 30 as it's backup? Does that all sound correct? That's kind of how it came across over here.
Yup!

Just be careful you don't run that 30 pounder dry.

Will the service that fills your 100# tank also top off your 30# tank? If so, that's what I would do.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:20 PM   #6

no, they won't fill small tanks (they consider the 30# and 100# small tanks) from a mobile, because they do not carry a scale on the mobile unit. They will swap it with a full 30 (which I do not want to do, keeping the RV all original for now) or I can take it to their location or any where they actually fill bottles, not exchange and get the less than full 30 topped off. Of course my 30 I took out of service is full also, so I have two spare 30's actually.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:17 PM   #7

you'll run all season on a 100# tank, maybe most of next season too.
2018 Chevy 3500HD Crew 4x4 Duramax
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote