Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-10-2015, 08:30 AM   #11

Well we just wander through all of that and now try and get off the freeways. Always found some place to stay and most we would go back to.

We just phoned for a reservation a day in advance, then went in whatever direction the CG was in. Of course this may be easier for retired folks.

SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:35 AM   #12

Thanks Hattie. That was going to be my next question: what hwys to avoid. I'm less worried about the cost as we anticipated it in Cali. I just felt the pressure to book all of our stays because everyone cautions that things book up.

chent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:36 AM   #13

That's really our style Its doing that with the wee ones that I worry about
Old 05-10-2015, 12:28 PM   #14

The I-680 between the US 101 in San Jose up to the I-580 in Pleasanton is rough, both directions. Loaded with potholes. Avoid the morning and evening commutes anywhere you can during weekdays.
lodiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:05 PM   #15

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/gr...a+camping.html

FYI, We have a California camping social group on the forum. These would be great posts to share over there if you feel so inclined so people have them for easy reference.
Country_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 03:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
Here's a novel idea ... why not take a slow leisurely drive from near Tahoe (Auburn) down the California 49er trail and learn about the gold rush (or flip the direction if starting from Yosemite) ~ I guarantee there are lots of kid-friendly things to do. I'm a 3rd-generation native who grew-up visiting these locales - and I STILL have new experiences or find hidden treasures every time I saunter down these roads.

Learn a bit of history starting with Coloma (Sutter's Mill), side-step to visit Old Town Sacramento (and the fantastic train museum and train rides; for the older - take the Segway tour), experience Columbia (pan for gold, take a stage coach ride), side-trip near Arnold to see Giant Redwoods, finish-up in Mariposa or Oakhurst that are the gateway to Yosemite's south entrance. Don't limit your camp site searching to just state parks - there are a TON of private parks along the way that all have unique character. Remember, it's the adventure that makes the memories!

This is a great side trip that Hattie has laid out for you. We, too, are native to CA. Started out in the Northern part but are now in the South half (mostly). Hattie's description brought tears to my eyes. There is so much to do and see in the gold country.

Your trip sounds great. Have fun and be sure to revisit that route when the kids are older. Safe travel!
10K Equalizer; Teshonka P3
Dual 6V Deep Cycle Interstate Batteries
giddyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:49 AM   #17

Thanks lodiguy! We just took our first local test trip and I wondered about that. Its pretty easy driving in Ontario. I was thinking I might post our whole route for tips just like that.