Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2016, 03:30 AM   #1

Camping on the sand.....?

SO, I saw a commercial today for camping world, and the TT and family were setup on the sand along a shore somewhere. Now, I understand this is television, and a staged commercial set, but it got me thinking.

Is there anywhere that I can setup my TT, right on the sand? Has anyone ever experienced this, and if so, where?

Thanks in advance!
rtiedeken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:01 AM   #2

Port Aransas, Texas

dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:17 AM   #3

I camp on the sand in the desert every winter.. Due diligence is the key words here. Make sure the sand is packed down enough to support your vehicles on it or you will sink.. I have towed several people out of the soft stuff. IF your on the sea shore remember the tides.. Many have woken up to find they are surrounded by water...
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:25 AM   #4

Lone Rock, Lake Powell AZ
BLM lands anywhere in the West . Some are sandy

Sand is not your friend always. You need to figure out how to keep it out of the trailer. It always wants in. Bring pressurized air when sand grains get in your water heater. If its propane it won't fire. Wind driven sand can and will get into all mechanicals.

We camped mostly in the sand or with sand all around for over a month.. another thing we were never able to do is use the awning.. The sandy areas we were in were too windy..
And cooking outside a challenge...Would you like zee steak with a sand crust?

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:32 AM   #5

Breezy Point Campground in Maryland is right on the sand of the Chesapeake Bay. We love that campground, except no pets are allowed. Its hard to find pet sitters for the weekend... especially because our pet sitters also own a camper and come with us most trips.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
Port Aransas, Texas

We're thinking about doing this VERY thing on that VERY beach!! How timely and coincidental is that?!

Some concerns we have in addition to the constant exposure to sand and wind:

-What about leaving your RV (we have a TT) on the beach for brief times, like to go out to dinner?
-What about security? We would feel vulnerable out there all night all alone. I've seen LEOs out there patrolling the beach, but do they do that 24/7 at Port A?
-We'll probably run a generator for the air conditioning, but I have been thinking of plans for that. No way we're RVing on the beach in TX summer without AC.
-I know there are "free parking" areas all along the beach road, but is another permit required for the TT? Or just the one for the tow vehicle?

Not too worried about getting stuck. My truck should be able to pull us out of all but the most ridiculous situations, even if the tide comes in and our tires are in the water. Plenty of places along that beach are plenty packed, so I don't think it would be an issue any way.

We absolutely LOVE going to Port Aransas and spending time on the beach, but the place we like to stay is getting a little bit expensive. Obviously camping on the beach for free or for the cost of an additional permit would be nice for saving some money.

I've done it in a tent in my younger days with a group, and I can tell you, we cleaned sand out of everything for a long time after. I was hoping that with some reasonable precautions, the sand could be minimized, especially if there was a gentle off-shore breeze (rare on that beach in the summer).

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:27 AM   #7

Freeman Park in Carolina Beach NC allows it. We didn't have our TT when we went, but there were others out there. 4WD is required to access the park though.
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71
SMS1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:32 AM   #8

Support

If you are going to park on the sand consider options to distribute your weight over as wide an area as possible. Bring 2x10's to place under your tires and wide flat pads to place under your jack stands.

If you do that your TT should not dig in, then it is just a matter of making sure the tow vehicle does not bury itself. Arrival at the site is rarely the problem, departure can be tricky though. Slow and steady is the secret when you go to leave the site. If possible do not stop to pick up your wood and jack pads until the rig is safely on solid ground.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote