Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-13-2015, 12:43 PM   #11

Utah - staying in Arches NP provides you with being very close to Canyonlands NP and Dead Horse Canyon State Park (awesome sunrise experience), not too far to Zion and Bryce Canyon NPs also. Also close to Moab a bit of tourest trap, but also pretty nice (good brewpub with excellent food also).

Mt Rushmore, we stay at KOA just few miles behind. Also if you are a Veteran the lighting at night is so very special as all vets are called down during ceremony. Needles highway and Custer State Park are fun and must do while in the area...

Larry J

LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:45 PM   #12

I just found out my job contract is ending in a week, an my kids 11-14 would love to go to yellowstone. Since I've saved a lot of money and that's not a problem, I'm also planning a trip. Will follow this thread. As I've only used the thing since buying it used last fall, I'm a bit worried about hauling a TT from Texas and having places I can't manuver like overlooks, ranger stations, smaller gas stations, etc. Additionally, what sort of grades are involved...at this point thinking of tent camping and saving the hassles, but it would be nice to have TT other times for sure!

Following thread...

Old 05-20-2015, 01:55 PM   #13

read up carefully on some of the national parks- they may prohibit tent camping

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkdaddy View Post
I just found out my job contract is ending in a week, an my kids 11-14 would love to go to yellowstone. Since I've saved a lot of money and that's not a problem, I'm also planning a trip. Will follow this thread. As I've only used the thing since buying it used last fall, I'm a bit worried about hauling a TT from Texas and having places I can't manuver like overlooks, ranger stations, smaller gas stations, etc. Additionally, what sort of grades are involved...at this point thinking of tent camping and saving the hassles, but it would be nice to have TT other times for sure!

Following thread...
Since you are planning a trip, plan to begin by doing things that will help you become more comfortable and experienced with towing a TT; drive the interstates when you begin, get fuel at Pilot/Flying J (they have fueling and parking away from the big trucks and designed for RVs), and be sure to have reservations at the CG you plan to be in and get pull-through sites initially.

Make it easy on yourself and family. You'll get the hang of towing quickly and learn to recognize a spot where things look too tight. Yes, there will be places that a pulling a TT may stop you from pulling into, but the vast majority do have RV access.

I can't help with questions about grades and your TV. I'm sure you'll hear from others about your trip and plans.

Be Safe. Enjoy.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkdaddy View Post

Following thread...
If you are a Good Sam member, they have an excellent Trip Planner that will highlight low bridges, etc. as well as Flying J gas stations. Otherwise, Google Maps is a great alternative.

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:52 AM   #16

Kirkdaddy is right! Rushmore is over rated! But, it's one of those places you have to see. While you're there, take a drive through Custer State Park - about 30 minutes south of "The Faces". The scenery is stunning! Rolling hills, open prairies, and rocky cliffs & outcroppings. There is wildlife everywhere . . . Deer, Antelope, and the largest free-ranging herd of Bison outside Yellowstone.

There are a ton of other things to do there, too. You could easily spend a week there. But stay away from Sturgis in August - with the bikers' rally, the campgrounds are packed!