Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-07-2014, 07:29 PM   #31

Here in Alberta, most places charge a flat fee to refill tanks, and propane isn`t cheap. I have an auto-changeover regulator, one of the first mods I did on the trailer. If I`m paying $32 to get 30 lb tank filled, I want them to put 30 lb in it. I bought a spare 30 lb tank, and keep it full, and rotate out the tanks as they empty. I`ve never used 30 lb in a week, and always have one full tank, plus a partial on the trailer at all times. This 3 tank system works very well for us.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:33 PM   #32
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious by Nature View Post
Here in Alberta, most places charge a flat fee to refill tanks, and propane isn`t cheap. I have an auto-changeover regulator, one of the first mods I did on the trailer. If I`m paying $32 to get 30 lb tank filled, I want them to put 30 lb in it. I bought a spare 30 lb tank, and keep it full, and rotate out the tanks as they empty. I`ve never used 30 lb in a week, and always have one full tank, plus a partial on the trailer at all times. This 3 tank system works very well for us.
remind me to never go to Alberta. that may be against just about every law in regards to dispensing anything.

I camp exclusively state side and just top a tank off every 10 days or so...if it takes 3 gallons that is what I pay

nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:07 PM   #33
Lost in the Woods

And another thing... if you develop a leak and both tanks are open it doesn't take long to have no propane. By keeping one tank in reserve you have a chance to realize there is a problem and correct it while still maintaining a propane supply.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:01 AM   #34

When it is going to be cold we use space heater (no boondocking ) let that keep us warm for free
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 07:51 AM   #35

Here in Georgia and if I remember correctly in Florida also, they charge a flat fee for filling your propane tanks. Well, at least that is the way I remember it. It could also be because I always take an empty tank in to get filled up. I can't remember ever taking a partial tank in to refill.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:33 AM   #36

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
Some of y'all are making this more complicated than needed.

The system is designed to switch between two open tanks. There is a gauge that reads whichever tank it is pointed to. When that one empties the regulator switches to the other unit automatically and shows empty on the gauge.

Turn that tank off, turn the switch to the other tank. Take the empty tank and have it filled. Hook the now full tank up and turn it on. When the other tank gets empty it will switch to the now full tank do it all over again. I check the tanks once or so a week, Iíve never run out.

We shut both tanks off when we get home, turn them on when we get ready to head out.
X2
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:30 PM   #37
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
Here in Georgia and if I remember correctly in Florida also, they charge a flat fee for filling your propane tanks. Well, at least that is the way I remember it. It could also be because I always take an empty tank in to get filled up. I can't remember ever taking a partial tank in to refill.
I live in GA and where I get it filled they will sell it to you by the gallon or a flat rate which ever is less. I always tell them that there may be some propane still in the tank. That way they are selling it to me by the gallon up front. If the flat rate for a full fill is less then I pay that instead. Many more places are selling it by the gallon now including FL. It all depends on where you get it filled. Usually a gas company like Amerigas is going to be cheaper than a service station. I get mine filled at my local ACE hardware (Amerigas dealer) by the gallon most of the time.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:22 PM   #38
Site Team

There are several places here that will fill partial tanks, and you only pay for what you get.

Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote