Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2022, 06:49 PM   #1

First Post! Jay Flight SLX-184BS vs. Jay Feather Micro 199 MBS

Hi All,
Brand new here & this is my first post!

My wife & I are new to the trailer world & are finally looking to follow our dream of 3 season trips.

We're looking at a Jayco 2022 Jay Flight SLX7 184BS VS. a Jay Feather Micro 199MBS.

What do you think of these units & what do you think is the better trailer? We want something relatively light, as we're aiming to pull it with an SUV (over 7000 lb. tow capacity & over 700 lb tongue weight)

A main draw of the 199MBS is the double bunks. I worry that a trailer with single bunks will be quickly outgrown by our kids, currently tweens. Would appreciate hearing your thoughts on this.

I'm starting to learn about different weights & payload...please highlight other key newbie pointers.
Thanks!!
SeekingAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 07:16 PM   #2

Hey S/A, welcome to the JOF! You are going to like it here. Tons of experience and stories to share with this gang.
I’m sorry I can’t tell you anything about the Micro 199MBS, but I am getting pretty familiar with the 184BS we picked up last September. My wife and I are returning RV’ers now sharing our experiences with the grands, now that the kids have their own families!
As are you, we are towing with an SUV. I have a BlueOx SwayPro hitch to keep things safe and secure. We’ve done little things to personalize the trailer, nothing major, and knock wood, no repairs as yet. If you look at my Registry Page it’s got pretty much all we have done so far.
I’m sure I will learn, but I don’t know why there is such a weight difference between the two trailers you are looking at. Over 1200# net difference? Are the Micro trailers built so much more robustly? I guess I will find out.
Best of luck in your decision.
frank d.
Old 03-08-2022, 07:43 PM   #3

Welcome to JOF! You are absolutely right to learn all you can about towing capacity and, more importantly, payload. There are lots of threads here on those — check them out.

You don’t say what SUV you have, but don’t rely on a sales person to tell you you are good to tow a particular TT. Some will assure you you can tow a fifth-wheel with a bicycle just to make a sale. If you’re looking for “something relatively light,” I don’t think the Micro 199 MBS is that, especially considering it’s length. You may very well be over your payload with cargo, family, WDH etc. Again, do your research and check YouTube for good videos about payload.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 10:00 PM   #4
Site Team

Welcome to the Forum from Western New York State!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 06:28 PM   #5

Thanks for the warm welcome. It seems like the 199MBS is more loaded up. Not sure what we want/need & still working out the SUV towing situation. I appreciate your input!
Old 03-09-2022, 06:46 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
Well, if it was me, i'm leaning towards the jayflight. I personally think the Micro is overpriced. Yes, it probably has more thrills than the Jayflight, but not for the difference in the two. Secondly, and more importantly, this is your 1st trailer, it won't be your last, and you don't want to bury yourself in an expensive small trailer. You will outgrow it. Plus, the Jayflight has 20 years of experience over the Micro, and still the best bang for your buck. Also, will the micro be around for long, or go the way of the A-frame and Hummingbird. They seem o dip their toe in the water, find it cold, and go in a different direction!
Old 03-09-2022, 07:00 PM   #7

Appreciate these points! I haven't seen either trailer in real life yet. What do you think of the single bunks? Would a teenager sleep in there, or too tight?
Old 03-09-2022, 09:44 PM   #8

Lol, once you go in the Micro and then step in the SLX, you will be like “F this Sh*t!”. At least that’s what my wife said. Plus I am never buying an RV without Azdel walls, etc. I have the 171BH and single bunks are for tykes. They will absolutely fit tweens who like cozy spaces, but my son who is 16 will be in a tent outside anyways. I got the bunks for grandkids in the future and bunk models have amazing storage doors. Have you considered the Ember version? https://www.emberrv.com/floorplan/191mdb/
Old 03-09-2022, 09:47 PM   #9

Towing at your max is stressful, I tow at 55% of my capacity and it is very chill. But I think even 80% would still be fine.
Old 03-09-2022, 11:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLo View Post
Lol, once you go in the Micro and then step in the SLX, you will be like “F this Sh*t!”. At least that’s what my wife said. Plus I am never buying an RV without Azdel walls, etc. I have the 171BH and single bunks are for tykes. They will absolutely fit tweens who like cozy spaces, but my son who is 16 will be in a tent outside anyways. I got the bunks for grandkids in the future and bunk models have amazing storage doors. Have you considered the Ember version? https://www.emberrv.com/floorplan/191mdb/
Holy smokes! A 22-foot trailer “starting at $56,440”? So, the 5,550 GVWR includes a box of gold bricks?
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 03-09-2022, 11:40 PM   #11

I’m not an rv salesman, but I do know that the ember has many things built better than a Jayco. Do they matter to everyone? Meh.

However, independent CURT suspension, laminated Azdel roof, zero wood and awesome windows are a few of my favorites.
Old 03-10-2022, 02:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLo View Post
Aside from the single size bunk beds, what was it about the SLX series your DW and you found underwhelming? I’m interested because we thought it checked all the boxes for a family of four very well. Honestly, it’s an RV, not a room at the Ritz…
Old 03-10-2022, 05:57 AM   #13

As stated, this will not be your last trailer. You will find things you like and dislike, need and can do without. We bought new at our 3rd trailer, had a floor plan we loved, but our special needs daughter hated as there was no bunkhouse for her space so after 2 seasons we traded that on our current. We got our first bunkhouse on a steel as the original owners teenagers decided they no longer wanted to camp with their parents so they traded after 1 year. So my advise is don’t spend the inheritance on your first camper, go to a dealer or two with an idea of what you want with your kids, and walk through a dozen or more campers and don’t let the salesman pressure you into anything. With the current economy, I feel the market will soon be flooded with campers.
2012 Jayco 32 BHDS: Long Gone
2007 R-Vision 25: Long Long Gone
1965 Frolic Cabover: My First RV
Bugzilla46310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 01:55 PM   #14

Hey there and welcome. I can't speak of the Micro but I do have a 184 BS Baja. We have two children 9 and 6. I myself have slept in the bunk bed and its fine, but yes, a little cramped for an adult lol. The queen bed is a nice touch for the wife and me. The 184 BS checked all of our boxes and seems much bigger with the slide. I also like that it is pretty light. I tow with a 1/2 ton pickup and I feel pretty safe towing it. If you are going to tow with an SUV, that extra weight of the Micro may not be a fun towing experience. But that's just my two cents.
Old 03-10-2022, 10:02 PM   #15

FrankieSaysRelax: We like it. And like the weight & price better than the 199MBS. I'd say it's mostly the single bunks first. Then no sink in bathroom. And then a little more space with the 199. My wife also likes the outdoor kitchen on the 199, but that's icing.
Old 03-10-2022, 10:07 PM   #16

shmipshmop I appreciate your perspective. Agree that the 199MBS may be too heavy. We're looking at getting either a used Audi Q7 (tows up to 7700 lb) or a Ford Expedition with tow package (tows 9300 lb), which would likely have to be new. And we're seeing what else is out there re: SUVs with good safety ratings
Old 03-10-2022, 10:11 PM   #17

Thanks all for the great advice. It's a good reminder that this decision doesn't have to be perfect or forever.

We are figuring out what our tow vehicle will be at the same time, and agree that I do not want to be stressed or maxed out on tow weight.

Also, re: the ember trailer, we're in Ontario Canada & they're not selling up here. But it looks ��.
Old 03-11-2022, 12:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingAdventure View Post
shmipshmop I appreciate your perspective. Agree that the 199MBS may be too heavy. We're looking at getting either a used Audi Q7 (tows up to 7700 lb) or a Ford Expedition with tow package (tows 9300 lb), which would likely have to be new. And we're seeing what else is out there re: SUVs with good safety ratings
With all due respect, forget about the tow ratings and research the payloads on the vehicles you are considering. Payload is critical especially if you are looking at a heavier TT like the 199 and you have kids and lots of cargo. Here’s a good starter video:
Old 03-11-2022, 06:17 PM   #19

LuckyDuck thank you for this. Yes, I'm just starting to learn about payload & tongue weight too. Lots to learn yet. I appreciate this video.
Old 03-11-2022, 08:35 PM   #20

You’re welcome. Here’s another:

Tags
double bunks, first post, jay feather micro 199mbs, jay flight slx7 184bs, single bunks