Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-28-2018, 02:47 PM   #1

Foam insert for shower skylight

I have the foam insulated inser in tmy bathroom. Wouldalso like one for skylight in the shower. Works very good in the vent
YIW
Drop
12ptdroptine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:56 PM   #2
Site Team

I have not seen one,except those that were homemade. Some have used foil cover bubble wrap and attached it with velcro or suction cups.

Surely some entrepreneur has invented something?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I have not seen one,except those that were homemade. Some have used foil cover bubble wrap and attached it with velcro or suction cups.

Surely some entrepreneur has invented something?
Thinking abot it. I made cobers for every window in tha camper. Just thought the glue on the velcr would let go in a suspended application from the heat
Drop
Old 06-28-2018, 03:46 PM   #4

First thing we did HD carries a 1" white foam insulating board. We cut out a card board template. Been in place almost 3 year's.We did paint the side facing out, works great. Those sky lite's are hot in the summer cold in the winter! Thanks
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:25 PM   #5
Site Team

I made a few of them out of Insulation Sheathing that I purchased at Lowes. The type I purchased had a foil side to it. I cut it to fit snugly in the openings. I did the sky-light in the shower, and the 2 ceiling fans. The sky-light works great especially in the summer and also in the winter. Of course the fans only get it in the winter. I still have not finished the job as the contact paper is still in the upper bunk that we use for storage. Maybe this summer. Really keeps the heat of the sun out.

I believe the insulation rating was 7.2.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
CEILING - Bathroom Skylight.jpg   CEILING - Bedroom Fan Insert.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ptdroptine View Post
I have the foam insulated inser in tmy bathroom. Wouldalso like one for skylight in the shower. Works very good in the vent
YIW
Drop

I have two of those insulated inserts for my roof vents but I saw nothing available for the shower skylight.

I have the rectangular, domed skylight in my shower. Not sure if you have the same. I took the inside trim and cover off, it is one piece - it has 10 screws. There is no gasket or seal or anything like that to worry about - like everything else, it is pretty cheaply made. This piece is cosmetic and not the real skylight.

Anyway, I took a section of that rubbery, non-adhesive shelf liner from Walmart, the 'bumpy' kind, and laid one layer over the cover/lens of my skylight and screwed it back in place.

I've done this three summers now while in Las Vegas. When I've been back in the Midwest, I've taken it out. You may need two layers as I think I had two last summer.

Oh, I worried about this getting stuck to the cover from getting too hot... it didn't. Not even in the Las Vegas 120+ heat. It wasn't stuck, 'glued', or melted in at all. It kept an amazing amount of the heat out, much more than I expected.
tlm550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:54 AM   #7

The rubberized shelf liner as insulator for skylight

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180702_234452.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	41517
tlm550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:32 AM   #8

Camco makes one

We bought a product that we love. Camco RV vent insulator. I think we got it on amazon, but all the the camping/sporting stores probably sell them.

Fits 14” openings. No tools required.
Wildertravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:02 AM   #9

DW made ours but Amazon has them. Link: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Insulat...vent+insulator
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:08 AM   #10

Bought some high density foam at JoAnn fabrics. Cut it to fit. Double face taped skme foiij l bubbke qrapool to it. Works perfect. Easy in and easy out. Under $20 for the fix.
Drop
Old 07-21-2018, 07:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ptdroptine View Post
Bought some high density foam at JoAnn fabrics. Cut it to fit. Double face taped skme foiij l bubbke qrapool to it. Works perfect. Easy in and easy out. Under $20 for the fix.
Drop
Could you translate that middle line for me!!??
Redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:58 PM   #12

Got some double face tape and taped some aluminum bubble wrap to the face.lol...excited I guess to share
Old 07-22-2018, 08:33 AM   #13

use window tint

I was frustrated with foam pads falling put and the heat that those skylights put out. I pulled down the interior part if the skylights and placed 30% window tint on the interior surface. Major improvement an no ugly pads!
ScottB1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:48 PM   #14

skylight paint

I just painted the outside of the bath skylight with silver krylon paint. Works great and no goofy covers to deal with. Stops and reflects heat before it ever enters, and doesn't interfere with head room in shower. Keeps Arizona sun out well for cheap.
zaphod621 is offline   Reply With Quote