Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-15-2020, 09:36 AM   #1

How to remove Atwood furnace from 19RD

Hi, I was deeply researching this site over the past weekend when my Atwood 8520-IV DCLP furnace would not fire in my 2014 Jayco 19RD. Two nights were very chilly but alas no heat.

I ran through all the troubleshooting tips posted on this site, including flipping the reset switch on the unit once I could get to it. I can hear the gas valve open but not the ignitor sparking so I assume its the board, ignitor or electrodes. My water heater board went bad a couple years ago and a replacement Dinosaur board fixed it, so I went ahead and ordered a Dinosaur board for this as well expecting it as likely culprit.

By the way, on the morning we were leaving, it started working
However, I am expecting it to be an intermittent issue.

This unit is mounted under the jack-knife couch, and is covered with a wooden box with a grate on one side. I have the box off (and will cut an opening for reset switch in future). The next question is how do I remove this unit from under the couch? I am sure someone has done this, and I am comfortable doing it, but it would be helpful to follow someone else's prior experience if available.

On a related note, when I was under the couch, I can see a wire coming from the wall that is cut. I know previous owner and I did not do this, so i wonder if its from factory this way? perhaps for an option not installed in this camper?

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
2020-10-15 11_32_13-Untitled - Message (HTML).jpg   2020-10-15 11_32_43-Untitled - Message (HTML).jpg  

Bob & Laura Langlois
2014 Jayco 19RD
2011 Suburban
Equalizer Hitch
boblanglois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:57 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
The problem might be as little as adjusting the ignition - but you have to bench test the furnace as there's no outside access door.
Winter season is hard on electronics and wiring in colder climates but also in damp weather as corrosion can take place. Always check for the cause instead of ordering in the wild parts for an RV.

Seems like it is the #10 entrance wire and might have been located, for this it needs a closer look.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 10:50 AM   #3

Where are the heating ducts exiting the furnace?? How does the furnace heat the trailer without ducting??

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 12:58 PM   #4

this unit has underfloor ducting, so I believe that there is an opening on the left side to the ducting feed.

Bob & Laura Langlois
2014 Jayco 19RD
2011 Suburban
Equalizer Hitch
Old 10-15-2020, 06:16 PM   #5
Site Team

We have a 2912 19RD, and I believe I'd have to remove the sofa completely, to get to ours. I'll be checking in on this for ideas for the future.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:55 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblanglois View Post
snip......The next question is how do I remove this unit from under the couch? I am sure someone has done this, and I am comfortable doing it, but it would be helpful to follow someone else's prior experience if available.......snip
I have a 24RBS with the furnace under my jackknife sofa and removed my furnace last winter..., and yes, had to remove the jackknife sofa.

Before removing the furnace, first remove the outside chrome exhaust plate/tube and plastic housing from the furnace. When re-installing, set the furnace in place (no connections & not screwed down)..., then re-insert the outside exhaust tube assembly to insure proper alignment within the furnace exhaust port.

Some are one piece, mine was a two piece assembly:

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:12 PM   #7
Site Team

Good tip Bob. Thanks. I'm really hoping I don't have to ever remove it.

It's nice to see the pictures of what's under that wooden box in ours, that boblanglois posted. I don't have any idea what that wire in the wall he has is for, though.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 10-15-2020, 10:05 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

JFlightRisk,

What's interesting is that my Atwood documentation states very clearly not to install the Atwood furnace under furniture. True, a wood box was installed under the sofa, not a furnace.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 10-16-2020, 12:47 AM   #9
Site Team

The whole floorplan is mostly furniture. The only exception is the sink, fridge, and bath tub. The bed, dinette, and couch take up most if the room, so maybe the box makes it ok!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 10-16-2020, 05:57 AM   #10

Rustic Eagle, thank you!

this is super helpful!

Bob & Laura Langlois
2014 Jayco 19RD
2011 Suburban
Equalizer Hitch
Old 10-16-2020, 09:29 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
snip..... so maybe the box makes it ok!
IMO it may be pushing the safety envelope, but that's just me.

When you have the opportunity...., let the furnace run awhile, then open the jackknife sofa (furnace still running) and put your hand on top of the wood box...., I didn't like how warm a portion of the wood panel top was.

Also, when my jackknife sofa is 'opened' for sleep use the sofa-back now closes-off the "only" dedicated return air opening between the sofa-back and wall.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 10-16-2020, 12:47 PM   #12

I just had my furnace out yesterday. On my unit it is behind a panel to the right of the kitchen sink with 3 screws holding it in. I then unhooked two furnace ducts on one side and one on the other side. They just twist a ways until you find the slot and they will unhook. Then I went out and removed 4 screws to remove the exhaust vent. Then back inside there were two screws, one on each side of the front that were holding the furnace in. Now the furnace will slide right out. My furnace had quit working in the middle of the night, I would use the reset switch and tap it and it would work for a bit and quit. I took the sail switch and it looked good so I sprayed it with WD40 and cleaned it and put it back. I found several wires that were crimped that I straightened out and I tightened all the connections. There are two wires that lay right near the outside exhaust and one of these fell off the connection with no pressure so I tightened them especially tight. After I put it all back together I have recycled the furnace at least 20 times and it has worked every time. It was either the sail switch or a loose connection, I don't know. What I do know is that it works now.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:52 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
IMO it may be pushing the safety envelope, but that's just me.

When you have the opportunity...., let the furnace run awhile, then open the jackknife sofa (furnace still running) and put your hand on top of the wood box...., I didn't like how warm a portion of the wood panel top was.

Also, when my jackknife sofa is 'opened' for sleep use the sofa-back now closes-off the "only" dedicated return air opening between the sofa-back and wall.

Bob
Thanks Bob. Maybe we'll get a chance to run it next season to check that out. It's getting tucked in for winter now, and we weren't in cold enough temps this year to fire it up. Well, we were, but someone likes it cool when she sleeps...

It's just the three of us in it, and the dog doesn't need it opened up at night! He has two layers of fur, so he's happier when it's cold enough for goose bumps.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 08-07-2021, 05:29 PM   #14

Hello gentlemen,

I'm scratching my head at this same question. I could just go ahead and start taking it apart but like to know what I'm up against first.

I have a Jay Flight 20BH and have the bottom couch cushion off exposing the furnace. Wood box if off. I only see 2 screws to the floor, could that be it? I have no outside door, just the exhaust pipe and shroud.

So it looks like I would do the following:

Remove exterior shroud and pipe.

Remove 2 screws into floor at the back of the furnace.

Undo the gas line to the furnace.

Remove furnace?

I need to replace the gas valve.

Thank you

Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
I have a 24RBS with the furnace under my jackknife sofa and removed my furnace last winter..., and yes, had to remove the jackknife sofa.

Before removing the furnace, first remove the outside chrome exhaust plate/tube and plastic housing from the furnace. When re-installing, set the furnace in place (no connections & not screwed down)..., then re-insert the outside exhaust tube assembly to insure proper alignment within the furnace exhaust port.

Some are one piece, mine was a two piece assembly:

Bob
Richfishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 03:57 PM   #15

Hi Richfishn,

did you actually do this work? I started the thread but did not have any trips where I would need the heat so this has remanined on my to-do list. A fall trip to Lake George is coming up so I figured it was time. I went to start and realized I needed to recheck this thread for updates.

I think my steps are the same as yours though I am tempted to try this without pulling the sofa out - I am used to working in tight spaces

If and when I do get this done, i will post some photos.

Bob L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richfishn View Post
Hello gentlemen,

I'm scratching my head at this same question. I could just go ahead and start taking it apart but like to know what I'm up against first.

I have a Jay Flight 20BH and have the bottom couch cushion off exposing the furnace. Wood box if off. I only see 2 screws to the floor, could that be it? I have no outside door, just the exhaust pipe and shroud.

So it looks like I would do the following:

Remove exterior shroud and pipe.

Remove 2 screws into floor at the back of the furnace.

Undo the gas line to the furnace.

Remove furnace?

I need to replace the gas valve.

Thank you

Rich

Bob & Laura Langlois
2014 Jayco 19RD
2011 Suburban
Equalizer Hitch
Old 08-31-2022, 04:32 PM   #16

Hi Bob,

Yes I did tackle this. It's actually quite simple. I actually have to pull it again to change the burner element. It's got a couple more seasons before it'll throw a fault and not fire at all.

Go for it'll be fine.

R
Richfishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 04:04 PM   #17

How to remove gas valve

Hi, I decided to tackle this.

Troubleshooting first.

Turned up tstat
Fan comes on
I can then hear gas valve open (and can smell at exhaust),
I can hear the electrode clicking
No light.

I am thinking i need to check the electrode but I can't figure how to get to it!
Attached Thumbnails
gas valve.jpg   sas valve 2.jpg   heater.jpg  

Bob & Laura Langlois
2014 Jayco 19RD
2011 Suburban
Equalizer Hitch
Old 09-11-2022, 07:05 PM   #18

Hey Bob,

I've found that this fella has some pretty good videos regarding all kinds of repairs and how-to-DIY.

I know this is kind of a general furnace walk through, but it might give you some ideas on how to remove and bench test your furnace as well as checking the burner assembly.
stinger608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 09:15 PM   #19

hi Stinger608,
This was super helpful! Very similar to mine. Will try this first thing tomorrow!

Bob & Laura Langlois
2014 Jayco 19RD
2011 Suburban
Equalizer Hitch
Old 09-11-2022, 09:29 PM   #20
Site Team

Darren on RV Works has the best how-to videos on several systems and appliances in Rvs. He's a self-employed mobile tech in Washington State that selflessly shares his expertise without the usual 10 minutes of talk in the beginning. He gets right to the matter at hand in the most methodical method I've ever watched.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD