Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2016, 11:48 AM   #1

Installing back up/surveillance camera

Any tips on connecting back up camera wiring to the tailight on my jay flight trailer?
Zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman View Post
Any tips on connecting back up camera wiring to the tailight on my jay flight trailer?
I used a furrion high speed wireless backup/monitor. Pulled out the middle clearance light on the trailer and installed there. I just run with the clearance lights on when the trailer is connected. Simple and easy to install.
crtc_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:20 PM   #3

I'm considering doing this on my Eagle HT with my F-350.

Having a fifth wheel, I run with my tailgate removed for most of the summer. Doing this, I lost my backup camera. I have a Back Rack on my truck. I decided to buy a backup camera to mount to the Back Rack and ordered the camera harness plug from the Ford dealer. I wired up the plug to the camera (had to extend the wiring on the camera to reach the plug) and it works.

I have been considering buying another $20 camera and harness plug to be able to see behind the camper. Haven't gotten to that improvement just yet.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:57 PM   #4
RAZ

I also use the Furrion wireless observation camera on the back of my Whitehawk 28DSBH. Get it on Amazon (Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL Wireless High-Speed RV Observation System with Mounting Bracket). It's a great product.

As for the install, federal regulations require that an 8-ft wide trailer has 3 running lights at the rear center in addition to the single outer lights on either side, so replacing the middle light with the camera is not recommended, albeit tempting.

Check with Jayco for a PDF of the design drawing for your rear wall. It will help you figure out what you'll need to drill through.
RAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 12:23 AM   #5

I installed the 4uCam wireless camera on my 265RLSW. Like others, I put it on top in place of the middle running light. Easy install. I did have to add on the antennae extension to improve the reception on the monitor on the dash of my truck since it's almost 50' from back of trailer to dash of truck with lots of metal and other stuff in between .I got the unit that can handle 4 wireless cameras. It comes with 2. I currently have it positioned to really see behind me while I drive. The second camera (not mounted yet) will be pointing more down to see bumper area for backing up.
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:11 AM   #6

Here is how I have mine. Did not k o about the DOT requirements.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-16-2016, 07:13 AM   #7

Here is the views from the cab. Probably close to 50ft from the camera. On our last 1500mi trip there was only a few times where I noticed it cut out.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-17-2016, 01:24 PM   #8
RAZ

Someone replied then must have retracted their question because I no longer see it on this thread.

I was asked if I was sure about the regulations for the center marker light. Here is the link to the data I used to make my decision to keep the center light in the identification cluster.

(http://expediter.com/pdf%20folder/J%20folder/J28-30.pdf)

The center cluster of three is referred to as an identification lamp. It is intended to identify a trailer 80" or wider and 30' or longer.

All in all, I dare say that not too many highway patrolmen have written tickets for not having all three lamps in the center cluster...
Old 07-17-2016, 01:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZ View Post
Someone replied then must have retracted their question because I no longer see it on this thread.

I was asked if I was sure about the regulations for the center marker light. Here is the link to the data I used to make my decision to keep the center light in the identification cluster.

(http://expediter.com/pdf%20folder/J%20folder/J28-30.pdf)

The center cluster of three is referred to as an identification lamp. It is intended to identify a trailer 80" or wider and 30' or longer.

All in all, I dare say that not too many highway patrolmen have written tickets for not having all three lamps in the center cluster...
If I remember the comment that was deleted said a trailer has to be longer than 40'. Either way, I doubt any regular patrolman knows the law. I only did mine because I didn't want to add any extra holes to the trailer. If you want to keep the center light it would be easy to remove the light and check for clearance just below the light. Mount the camera and tap into the clearance marker power. Reinstall the center light and your done.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:52 PM   #10

I bought a Jayco 28BHBE this year, and there is a sticker in the bedroom that says it is pre-wired from the factory for wireless security/observation cameras....

I can't find anything in the manual that references this... But what wiring needs to be done for a "wireless" system...? Just a power and ground?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GregJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregJames View Post
I bought a Jayco 28BHBE this year, and there is a sticker in the bedroom that says it is pre-wired from the factory for wireless security/observation cameras....

I can't find anything in the manual that references this... But what wiring needs to be done for a "wireless" system...? Just a power and ground?

Yes, power and ground is all that is needed. I thought I saw the ones that were pre wired had the furruon bracket installed as well. Then you could just purchase the kit that does not come with the bracket and save a little.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by crtc_01 View Post
Yes, power and ground is all that is needed. I thought I saw the ones that were pre wired had the furruon bracket installed as well. Then you could just purchase the kit that does not come with the bracket and save a little.

Ok, I wonder were the wires are capped then..
It has all the lights in the middle on the top, but doesn't have anything capped or plugged up on the back.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:15 PM   #13

Old 07-18-2016, 10:22 PM   #14
RAZ

On the Jayco website there is a place you can submit an inquiry. They are really pretty responsive. They can send you plans that may show you exactly how it is wired. I have asked for and received plans for walls, roof and the cable wiring as well. They usually get back to you in a couple of days.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:03 PM   #15

This is what Jayco provide when I asked about "pre-wire back up camera" feature

https://imgur.com/a/KnkSp
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
This is what Jayco provide when I asked about "pre-wire back up camera" feature

https://imgur.com/a/KnkSp

Ohhhhhh ok, I guess I was just assuming it would be more "plug & play".
It can still be easily done, but not what I consider "pre-wired"

Old 07-20-2016, 06:02 PM   #17

Well, it is "pre-wired" because the wires are already there. You don't have to tie into any other wiring.

That is the difference between "pre-wire" and "plug and play".
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:10 PM   #18
RAZ

Jayco's prewire looks pretty messy. I'm disappointed, but then again, I like the clean look myself. I dropped down the required spacing below the center light (for the Furrion) and drilled up using a Kreg pocket hole jig. I tied into the wiring for the center lamp and I have no wires showing at all. A much cleaner look for sure.