Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2019, 11:55 AM   #1

Is this common? Exterior weather stripping escapes at towing speed.

I may be using the wrong term for this rubber/plastic strip. See photo for location. This strip slips into a channel to cover the screws along the exterior wall edges. I have now had the trailer out for two trips and during each, the stripping escaped from the channel and was flapping in the wind. This second time it left black marks on the side of the trailer where it hit the side in the wind during towing. Just want to know if others have this problem.

I took it to the dealer (Crestview, Georgetown TX) for repair the first time and they said it was not covered under warranty because it was as-designed by Jayco.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6044-2.jpg  
dsch3ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:11 PM   #2

Yep, it's common. The material gets soft and stretches in the heat and sun. I had a Keystone trailer that had the same issue. I replaced the stripping myself and "glued" it in with silicone when I did it.
That picture taken down on the National Seashore? We go down there quite a bit ourselves!

2019 SuperDuty CCSB 6.2 Gasser 4X4
2019 Jayco Octane 222 SL
2016 HD Dyna S and 2019 HD Softail Slim
AmericanBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:13 PM   #3

Just north of the official Padre Island National Seashore. We've been down 4 times this summer. Love it!
dsch3ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:24 PM   #4

If it is a new TT, sounds like a Lazy dealer, who does not want to do the work.

I had that issue with my TT. Dealer reinstalled it, and added a few daps of caulk between the layers, it has never moved since.

I would call Jayco with your vin number and inquire. I would have a few better images available, incase you they would like to view them.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:01 PM   #5

Front Weather Stripping

Mine has a screw in the very bottom of the stripping. Jayco installed it during the manufacturing process.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:09 PM   #6

I had the same problem on one door. It's an easy fix. Hardly worth struggling with the dealer.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsch3ll View Post
I may be using the wrong term for this rubber/plastic strip. See photo for location. This strip slips into a channel to cover the screws along the exterior wall edges. I have now had the trailer out for two trips and during each, the stripping escaped from the channel and was flapping in the wind. This second time it left black marks on the side of the trailer where it hit the side in the wind during towing. Just want to know if others have this problem.

I took it to the dealer (Crestview, Georgetown TX) for repair the first time and they said it was not covered under warranty because it was as-designed by Jayco.

What an incredible spot! Do a lot of folks park on the beach like this? Amazing.
OttawaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:10 AM   #8

x2 on what AmericanBiker did. I to have found it happens more more in the cold when the weather strip shrinks. Seams the installer is charged by the foot.

I have tried to extend it and then seal it, but it just shrinks back when cold. Just pushed it up to one end, and yes it left a gap at the bottom (3/4"). You won't see it after an couple of camping trips. I just filled the gap with sealer too.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:41 AM   #9

Happened to me driving through arizona
use camco 25212 vinyl trim insert
steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaBob View Post
What an incredible spot! Do a lot of folks park on the beach like this? Amazing.
This pic is about 40 miles south of that spot. If you look close, you can see my "off road" travel trailer. National Island Seashore is a national park here in Texas. You can drive 60 miles down the beach once inside the park. Four wheel drive is a must. We take a generator and LOTS of supplies. There is no cell service, facilities or "running to the store".

2019 SuperDuty CCSB 6.2 Gasser 4X4
2019 Jayco Octane 222 SL
2016 HD Dyna S and 2019 HD Softail Slim
AmericanBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanBiker View Post
This pic is about 40 miles south of that spot. If you look close, you can see my "off road" travel trailer. National Island Seashore is a national park here in Texas. You can drive 60 miles down the beach once inside the park. Four wheel drive is a must. We take a generator and LOTS of supplies. There is no cell service, facilities or "running to the store".

Fantastic. Very envious. Enjoy!
OttawaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 04:02 PM   #12

On the vinyl insert: My TT had screws in them to hold them in place. My MH has one or two as well, but also has sealant (most likely OSI Quad) in the ends.

We camp down there all the time. Mostly up between Port A and Corpus beaches. Last time we were able to slide in to the "free parking" area between MM 52 and 58. Absolutely LOVE it. Never camped on the National Seashore, but we've been down there several times in a couple different "off-road" vehicles. Pretty neat place to take a day trip in one of the Jeeps. I always make sure to have plenty of water, fuel, and other provisions whenever we head down that way. We've stopped before and there was at least an hour before we saw another human. It's a little "nicer" during turtle season because the volunteers "patrol" the seashore looking for turtles coming ashore to lay their eggs. Never seen a turtle, but it was somewhat comforting knowing there were people moving about way down island so if something happened there might be help.
Attached Thumbnails
Port A 1.jpg  

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote