Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2019, 02:33 PM   #1

Leaking roof

We bought a new Jayco TT 2 years ago, but I still own my 2003 Dutchman TT, and thus the problem. Water is leaking in around the dome on the roof that gives clearance above the tub. The caulking and/or sealant around the dome has a number of small cracks, as does the edging around other roof structures. I'm sure this is the source of the leak. I have read information on leaks on this forum before but would appreciate any info on three specific questions. 1. Can these cracks be filled and cured with selfleveling Dicor Lap Sealant? 2. Some of you have recommended Eternabond Tape for leaks. I have never used this, but is this somewhere it would work? If so, how do I have to prepare the surface (it is not smooth and level) before putting on the tape. 3. If either of these is not the answer, any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance for your help. I really enjoy this forum and have learned a lot.
bwalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:39 PM   #2

Yes you can use either one. If using the eternabond tape, clean up the old caulking with some mineral spirits and scrape it smooth with a plastic putty knife. You can use metal but be careful not to poke a bunch of holes into the roof.
Use a blow dryer to loosen up the old dicor. Also, if you use the tape, do not stretch it. If you do, it won’t stick.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:45 PM   #3

Eternabond is excellent. For all practical purposes it's a permanent repair, provided it's installed correctly.

Follow the instructions on their web site.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:11 PM   #4

My personal preference is Eternabond.

I'll add that the time to use either Dicor or Eternabond is long before you develop a leak. Inspecting your roof yearly, or more, is critical. Even under warranty, if a leak develops, it's typically not covered under warranty, as it's the owner's responsibility to maintain the seams.

On my brand new 26BH I replaced all the factory Dicor with Eternabond. As you research Eternabond, you'll learn that it can be applied directly over existing Dicor, or you can remove the Dicor with a plastic putty knife to create a more even surface for the Dicor. Removing the Dicor (easy) is my method of choice.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:20 PM   #5

The sealant around the dome (not sure if it is Dicor or something else - whatever was originally used) is thick and hard (15 years old) Will heat and mineral spirits handle this? Willing to work if this is what it takes. Thanks
bwalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalden View Post
The sealant around the dome (not sure if it is Dicor or something else - whatever was originally used) is thick and hard (15 years old) Will heat and mineral spirits handle this? Willing to work if this is what it takes. Thanks

Yes. You may need a heat gun instead of blow dryer. If you’re removing the sealant, don’t bother cleaning it first.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote