Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #11

I have to agree that bounce sheets didn't work for me. Neither did peppermint. Although I use the peppermint and this stuff recommended to me called cab sense to make me feel better. With this camper I just clean the camper as best as I can, take everything out, and leave all doors open. They don't seem to like the light as much. No visitors so far. I do have to say that I think once you have a problem, they seem to keep coming back.

1 husband
1 stepdaughter 26 yrs old
1 Mastiff mix 4yrs old
rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:40 AM   #12

Ha! Mice, terrible little things. Two years ago I got under the camper with crappy clothes on and had a can of the foam sealer and sealed everything I thought I could get that nozzle hose into. It seemed to work fairly well. I saw ONE and more signs of one but that was it, it helps a lot to cover ANY holes up. Also if you get this stuff on your hands you have to "mechanically" remove it. NOTHING will take it off other than scraping. Anyway, since I saw those few, I decided last year to do another thing, it worked but with consequences. I cut the bottoms off of some red solo cups about 2" high and put pool shock, the powdered kind in them about an inch deep. I put 5 of these things around the cabinets and tub, toilet. IT worked REAL well. they didn't like that caustic atmosphere! but the bad part..it made the atmosphere caustic! metal was starting to corrode inside, like my silverware wasn't anymore! I never thought it would make that bad of a stink!! I removed them partway thru the winter and I still have some smell in there but no mice. Perhaps use LESS or use this in another way? I tried dryer sheets, poison, steel wool, pine smelly things, you name it, been fighting these guys 15 years , good luck!

ka1mwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:19 AM   #13

haha, KA, you have the same mice we have here!! They love the Cab Sense smell cache's, dine on peppermint, bed down on dryer sheets and eat the poison then die for spite in the insulation to stink up the place!! My best solution is the traditional mouse trap using raisins for bait.
We ALWAYS take everything out of the fridge, and the cabinets and never leave food in there.

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:48 AM   #14

Cool

Well its good to hear that I'm not alone. We also live in the country with mice seemingly everwhere. A couple months ago we noticed a cat [????] around the yard and whalaa then a batch of kittens. Kittens are now out and about and last week saw one of them on the front porch [of the house] eating a mouse. No mice lately in the house. Don't know if that will help out back with the camper but I did get a bit of delight watching that mouse become dinner.

Will be sealing all the entry points that I can get to but will follow the suggestions not to open up the underbelly cover. I may open one or more of the maint. access patches and stick in a few packets of the mouse bait. From what I read, the mice leave the trailer before they die and even tend to take a bit of the bait back to their nest to feed the young ones who later also die. Anyway the battle will continue each season as there are always more out there. Am not a cat person, but am willing to put up with them if they join the fight with the mice.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #15

This fall I am going to try a product called mouse-free. I am going to buy a 2 gallon kit and do both my camper and my daughters. Both campers were parked next to each other all winter and we got the mice and she didn't!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:52 PM   #16

Lifted, I heard that "Mouse-Free" really works but is VERY expensive!! May be worth it because dead mouse smell in insulation in the underbelly does NOT go away by itself!!! Ask me how I know!!

Kathie

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #17

We use fabreeze dryer sheets on the furnace vents and generous amounts in the basement. Campers in the same park use mothballs around wheels and stabilizer jacks. Not sure what works but sealing up all wiring and plumbing locations with spray foam insulation seems like a good first step.
FiredguyAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #18

Darn Mice

We had six move into our trailer in the last couple days temperature went down to your freezing So I guess they decided to move in. We tried the traditional traps they worked good catching the little guys, I put peppermint on some cotton balls not sure if it works but the trailer sure smells nice.
Jason
jasonfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #19

Hello, I'm new to this forum but not new to camping. I have the mice issue every so often, I tried the dryer sheets, filling up all the holes I can find and I still get them in the snap traps. I have a Jayco with the covered underbelly with slide outs. I was wondering if the gaps around the slide out arms and the frame could be an entry point to the underbelly.
A week ago before we left our seasonal site I took some tin foil and wrapped those arms at the entry point on the frame to seal the gaps up. I don't know much about campers or the design of the slide outs but just wondering if mice can enter the underbelly from this area? I've crawled around the underside so many times and I'm 100% sure that I sealed up every hole, and I still get them.

Thanks

Rickb03 is offline   Reply With Quote