Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2016, 12:21 PM   #21

Rear lights

I used Costco solar light mount on back roof I climb the ladder switch it on and have decent 1000W light ... You then can use it for camping and security as the switch goes to motion sensor or full time on
Cost $40 easy to install on rear

Ronso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:40 PM   #22

Since nobody mentioned it yet, I'd take a look at a decent backup camera. Most of them work in little to no light. It's the first mod I plan on doing next spring. You still want to get out and look around, but after verifying everything looks ok, you can back up with confidence. It's the next best thing to having a spotter back there... actually better depending on the spotter

bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:33 PM   #23

Collect those free oval flashlights (blue) from harbor freight. I am working on getting 6 and line them up like a runway and back er in,
tshirtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:49 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Please don't ignore the blind spots you have when the TT is jackknifed to the passenger side when you back into a site. For the most part, the drivers side is totally blanked out in your mirrors. With the tv and tt at an angle your mirrors really don't tell you much even if you have lights of some kind marking the edges of the site. There is no good reason to try backing in your rig at night without a spotter, ABSOLUTELY NONE!! Get there before dark or make arrangements to have the CG host or friend come over to assist. Doing thousands of $$$$ damage to your TT is what you are risking. You mentioned you are a rookie at this. Take the advice from those of us who have some miles under our belts.

Some great points, from experience.... in sure!

It's tough to take the hard line of arrive in daylight for those of us who can't pick up junior from school until 3pm, With a 4 hour drive to the campground ahead... in October. It's getting dark earlier.

I still say get a spotter with a flashlight, and for heavens sake... point it up into the trees. Many many many times I've been on a site where I am clearing a 20" oak tree at the base, but the tree leans into the site, at 11 feet tall, there is plenty of room for that "leaner" to encroach into the space where your camper wants to be.

(Sent from TapaTalk app)
Craig Bailey
New England
2007 Chevy 2500HD crew
2015 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2007 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4x4 Z71
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:54 PM   #25

Solo backing

I have some triangle shaped LED lights I picked up at Harbor Freight cheap. I scope out the site for 'targets' (those to aim for and to avoid) then put my lights down pointing to where I want the back of my trailer, this makes a runway down each side so I can 'aim' the trailer. My truck does not maneuver well so I need all the help I can get. For hooking up before I leave, I have a small metal 'L" on top of my propane case and a stripe painted on my tailgate, when they line up I am ready to hook up.

Happy travels
sragan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:40 PM   #26

backup lights - built in

Pop off the taillight covers/lens and you'll have a bit of light to back up with.
toxictom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:14 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbailey View Post
Some great points, from experience.... in sure!

It's tough to take the hard line of arrive in daylight for those of us who can't pick up junior from school until 3pm, With a 4 hour drive to the campground ahead... in October. It's getting dark earlier.

I still say get a spotter with a flashlight, and for heavens sake... point it up into the trees. Many many many times I've been on a site where I am clearing a 20" oak tree at the base, but the tree leans into the site, at 11 feet tall, there is plenty of room for that "leaner" to encroach into the space where your camper wants to be.

(Sent from TapaTalk app)
Craig Bailey
New England
2007 Chevy 2500HD crew
2015 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
The OP is asking about backing in after dark into a first time campsite W/O a spotter. In such a case, I again say DON'T DO IT!!
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:48 PM   #28
Site Team

I hate backing and setting up in the dark. I would overnight somewhere with a pull thru and come in to my destination in the daylight.

Anything else would be dangerous and expensive.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:16 PM   #29

Thanks for all the great ideas and comments. For the record - we always plan to arrive in the daylight but, for those times when we can't I want to be as prepared as I can. I can't afford to not be able to deal with the reality that it just might not be avoidable. The prior campsite was very remote, no other campers around and no camp host or ranger to help. As I said, my wife cannot spot for me. I have a good backup camera with night vision but that's only a wide view directly behind me. After a good survey of the site with a bright light I planned my approach and moved very slowly and carefully.

I've decided to mount some side lights on the skirt panels up near the front of the trailer that shine backwards and light up the sides and behind. WalMart has some that look like a very good fit. Very bright but small. Can power them with the smaller trailer power hookup when needed and leave the harness coiled up and tucked away when not being used. Might be handy for other uses, who knows.
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:19 PM   #30

Lights

I keep 4 or more of the craftsman 19.2v fluorescent lights on hand. Set em up like a runway. The lights are about $20 each and the regular batteries are pretty cheap to. Plus if you get a drill or something else in the same set you have the versatility.

dgbson is offline   Reply With Quote